U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 07:53 AM

710 posts, read 337,492 times

Advertisements

I always feel like I have mucus just sitting in my throat. Even when I cough some out, it still never goes away. It's been like this for a few years. I've been to a nose & throat doctor twice before and even when he shoved a camera down my nose, he still couldn't find anything. He prescribed me a medication which didn't help. I've tried Mucinex too which also didn't help. What is wrong and how can I make this go away?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2015, 09:36 AM

3,437 posts, read 2,143,421 times
Do you actually have mucus in your throat or just the sensation of mucus? If the former, you need to figure out why you're producing the mucus. If you haven't been tested for allergies, I would start with an allergist. If the latter, I don't have any suggestions unfortunately.

Old 11-13-2015, 09:41 AM

12,831 posts, read 10,806,033 times
An allergist is a good idea.

I read 'The Mucusless Diet' in the 70s.
That's what I would try for 2-3 weeks...not telling you to...

I would also snort salt water daily to cleanse my nasal passages....again, that's me.
Good luck with this.

Old 11-13-2015, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
Do you actually have mucus in your throat or just the sensation of mucus? If the former, you need to figure out why you're producing the mucus. If you haven't been tested for allergies, I would start with an allergist. If the latter, I don't have any suggestions unfortunately.
I'm pretty sure it really is mucus. It affects my speaking sometimes, as I can't talk very loud sometimes because of it. I constantly have to clear my throat as well. I have no allergies as far as I know, but I'll see.

Old 11-13-2015, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
An allergist is a good idea.

I read 'The Mucusless Diet' in the 70s.
That's what I would try for 2-3 weeks...not telling you to...

I would also snort salt water daily to cleanse my nasal passages....again, that's me.
Good luck with this.
Thanks for the suggestions. I will research the Mucusless Diet.

Old 11-13-2015, 10:10 AM

12,831 posts, read 10,806,033 times
You know....I know a lady that cleared her throat all the time!
Finally, went to a heart and lung doc....since no one saw anything with scopes.

Turned out her heart was enlarged so much it pressed on her esophagus.
Her capillaries were 'closed up'. So here heart worked overtime
to 'push' that darn blood into them....
A simple pill opened up her flow.

Not saying this is your issue, but fascinating stuff...very rare!

Old 11-13-2015, 10:20 AM

5,491 posts, read 4,572,605 times
I was told it is a "deviated septum" .
I have not done any thing about it having had sinus problems most of my life.

Old 11-13-2015, 10:31 AM

194 posts, read 425,165 times
To the OP:
Research LPR and it's symptoms. I too had chronic mucus, as well as throat clearing and worst of all chronic coughing fits. I suffered for years with chronic cough. No doctor could confirm it's source, provide an explanation or provide a solution for relief. Then I tripped across information on LPR and the potential effects of Pepsin as the possible root cause of the coughing. This led me to more research on the subject and finally the information found at the link provided as well as a book called "Dropping Acid" from a Dr Kaufman. I followed the advice of the doctor in this book and went on the 2 week no acid detox diet. I gave of soft drinks completely (big source of acid in most people's diet) and have been symptom free for almost 2 years now.
It may not be your problem but worth a look. The key for me was understanding how pepsin which is emitted from your stomach during reflux and embeds in the cells of your soft tissue in the throat, larynx, pharynx and airways, then dietary acid activates it causing it to irritate these soft tissues. Then your body responds as it defensive systems cause you to cough, develop mucus etc. Pepsin is a digestive enzyme that when mixed with acid breaks down protein and is part of the digestive process in your stomach. When these two ingredients mix in your throat this is when bad things happen, anyhow its very interesting information and not widely accepted in much of the medical community. So take a look here for more info in case this is what ails you.
Laryngopharyngeal Reflux (“Silent Reflux”): The Basics | The Voice Institute of New York | Dr. Jamie Koufman

Old 11-13-2015, 12:21 PM

5,120 posts, read 12,752,991 times
I have post-nasal drip 90% of the time.....especially, at night! I think it's allergy related, but antihistamines really don't stop it. I've just gotten used to it!

Old 11-13-2015, 12:53 PM

12,514 posts, read 13,131,243 times
try eating no dairy products for a full month, and see if you notice an improvement
no milk, no yogurt, no cheese, no butter, read labels, no nothing dairy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness