Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 02:13 PM

5,840 posts, read 5,249,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Those are no hot flashes. They are power surges!

With some of my power surges, I can power the entire state of Vermont.

Cat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2015, 02:18 PM

698 posts, read 2,836,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
I'd take my periods back any day rather than suffer with hot flashes multiple times almost every night and sometimes through the day. At least my periods didn't wake me up every night and only lasted a week each month, not for 10 freaking years LOL
Same here.

I was the very unusual woman among my friends who never minded periods and actually enjoyed pampering myself for those few days each month.

But it looks like hot flashes are my payback for 35 years of uneventful menstruation!

Old 11-17-2015, 02:19 PM

41,885 posts, read 74,952,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Those are no hot flashes. They are power surges!
I wish. After the worst of my hot flashes, I feel like a wet dishrag for a few hours afterward. I probably look like one, too.

Old 11-17-2015, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Stopped bio-identical HRT after 9 years.
So its 14 now.
Hot coffee and alcohol seem to bring them on...they pass quickly...but still....
Hoping you are reaching the end of this. It sure seems like you should be after 14 years.

I have several triggers and the worst seems to be overheated rooms or rooms without good circulation. I have fans everywhere.

The embarrassment when my face turns red as a lobster is the worst though!

Old 11-17-2015, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I can't say, since I went on hormones for a few years. So the hot flashes returned when I stopped.

I got some progersterone cream, though (over the counter), which seems to help that, actually.
I was using Progesta Care for about a year and thought it was helping a lot but then I ran out and got swamped and did not get around to buying it again. Five weeks passed and I realized I hadn't used it and felt no difference.

In my case I have to wonder if it was more of a placebo affect when I first began it because it did seem to really save me. I brought it in to both my internist and ob-gyn and neither seemed to have anything enlightening to share about it but they also don't want me on hormones.

Of course neither of them are post menopausal yet so in that regard they can not relate.

Old 11-17-2015, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
8 or 9 years of pure hell.
Better words cannot be found!

Old 11-17-2015, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
With some of my power surges, I can power the entire state of Vermont.

Cat
Vermont this time of year sounds like how to spell relief!

Old 11-17-2015, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
HRT is not the devil it was painted to be a few years ago....you may want to try small doses of estrogen (and probably progesterone to balance it out). I've also heard gabapentin (prescription) is very good.

I've heard there is some backpedaling going on because of the test subjects involved in the original study but I'm not a believer in the backlash simply because imho, regardless of any study it's not natural to continue exposing our organs to pre-menopausal estrogen levels at this age, breast tissue in particular.

But as a non meat eater I do eat soy-based foods and drink organic soymilk which serves as a plant based estrogen imitator.

One of my books about menopause pointed out that menopausal symptoms are nearly non existent in Asia, and one of the reasons being the practice of eating a lot of tofu. And they refer to it as the "Second Spring."

Much nicer terminology than the ones I give it when I'm flashing hot enough to light the grill!

Old 11-17-2015, 03:20 PM

6,988 posts, read 4,848,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadreamin View Post

The embarrassment when my face turns red as a lobster is the worst though!
I only do that when I'm checking out at the grocery store. My face begins to drip as well. And it always seems to happen when a young guy is checking me out (my groceries - you guys have a dirty mind!). So saying "hot flashes" doesn't get the sympathy an older female clerk would have for me. Say "hot flashes" to any male checkout clerk under retirement age and then there's two of us standing there with beet red faces.

Old 11-17-2015, 03:26 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,932,147 times
I never had any. I was waiting for all the dreaded symptoms to occur, but nothing happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness