Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 01:59 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,519,803 times

Advertisements

Probably some of you already knew this or have had experience with this. This is all news to me.

Quote:
Quarter of men believe they have 'man periods'

As part of a study of 2,412 people (50pc men and 50pc women), male participants were asked if they frequently suffered the same common side effects of premenstrual syndrome (PMS) that women experience during their menstrual cycle, including tiredness, cramps and increased sensitivity.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 11-19-2015 at 08:25 PM.. Reason: 1-2 sentences and link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2015, 02:06 PM

565 posts, read 432,884 times
26 percent that's it? The way many guys behave today, Id bet it would be 90-95%. And I think they have real periods, or at least its the next step.

Old 11-19-2015, 02:08 PM

3,688 posts, read 5,013,641 times
it... it's not what you said, it's how you said it!

Old 11-19-2015, 02:10 PM

2,846 posts, read 2,970,662 times
I don't know if this equates to PMS but every year around Aug-Nov, my test levels sky rocket.

Old 11-19-2015, 02:12 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,452,560 times
Not so much a "period" as behavioral shifts due to body chemistry.

Which stands to reason if your body is prone to feeling or having certain symptoms with a timing regularly, it will be caused by its operation.

Last edited by rego00123; 11-19-2015 at 02:21 PM..

Old 11-19-2015, 02:16 PM

2,846 posts, read 2,970,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
Not so much a "period" as behavioral shifts due to body chemistry.

Which stands to reason of your body is prone to feeling or having certain symptoms with a timing regularly, it will be caused by its operation.
Oooh, such knowledge... I am impressed because I never thought about the timing part (no sarcasm). I am into these things.

Thanks

Old 11-19-2015, 02:21 PM

2,013 posts, read 1,608,094 times
Tiredness and sensitivity are pretty general symptoms. Cramps... well, that part is interesting, considering menstrual cramps are mostly caused by contractions of the uterus. Where are these men feeling cramps???

Men have hormones, too, though. What Rego says makes perfect sense.

I had a chemistry teacher who once told us that men go through a mood cycle similar to a woman's during menses, but that men went through it once a day, every day. I think she just had a bad marriage, though

Old 11-19-2015, 02:23 PM

3,688 posts, read 5,013,641 times
I'ma put a li'l different spin-spin on this, yo...

(also, I'm going to refrain from ever talking like that again)

So you wonder whether men have a thing akin to PMS (as used socially, not the actual medical term) which seems to run cyclically, even in conjunction with actual PMS.

Imagine a woman who isn't experiencing actual PMS, just her regular menstrual cycle. Maybe it's not so bad, or maybe she's one of the unfortunate whose body treats her terribly. But she's moody, ranging from waspish or peckish, all the way to chip-on-her-shoulder, if she's the sort to behave thusly during her period. Some women simply don't, they just ask for some compassion. Others go full-on Hulk because of hormones and pain and nausea affecting moods. Still others go enter the Season of the Witch not because of hormones, but because they can.

Now imagine a guy who comes home from work and encounters his dear partner feeling sick. She's down, but she's her kind, loving self -- only sick. So he slows the night down, winding himself down... bringing her egg drop soup and cheese gyoza and zebra cakes, because hey -- this is life, not a question of fault. It's his job to help take care when his partner is under the weather. His demeanor takes on an aspect akin to yet alternate her own, shows in behavior, posture, carriage.

Or a guy who comes home to the Hulk, Banner's uncontrollable alter-ego. He wants to be understanding but sometimes when she lashes out he has to take a few extra breaths... he has to step out for a breather... he has to remind himself to rein it in, because for better or worse, this is life and nobody's fault. He shows physical and emotional symptoms which seem correlative to and in conjunction with his partner's own cycle, it seems.

Or a guy who comes home to a once-a-month excuse for bad behavior, who walks thru the door and finds his name scrawled loosely across a voodoo doll upon which not a single other pin or sharp instrument could find room to fit. Again, mood and carriage seem to enter a cyclic phase, associated with and correlative to his partner's.

It's... it's just an odd coincidence, I reckon!

Jokes aside, if there's such a thing as sympathetic pregnancy, why not sympathetic menstruation?

Old 11-19-2015, 02:25 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,012,915 times
Do I believe that there's such a thing as a "man period"? Unless it's something that's tied in with the phases of the moon or the tides or some such thing, no, I don't think that a guy having monthly mood swings and cramps is anything remotely close to "normal".

With that being said, I certainly support my partner if he's feeling moody or "off". But, frankly, if he was complaining of cramping or other physiogical symptoms on a regular basis, I'd be strongly encouraging him to make an appointment with his doctor.

Old 11-19-2015, 02:30 PM

2,306 posts, read 1,703,768 times
All I can say is I am glad neither I, nor my honey suffer form PMS. Ever. Although we do sometimes eat too much pizza and beer together and feel bloated later because of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness