Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 01:59 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,226,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
Most people/doctors now say there is no difference because type 1 can cause sores anywhere just like type 2 can.
The two do behave a bit differently. Those with type 1 are less likely to have outbreaks, and getting type 1 first may reduce the risk of getting type 2, though not completely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucifer View Post
Herpes is not usually part of a normal STD test. A PCR blood test would show the virus.
There is really no "normal" STD test. Each STD must be tested for separately, and the person ordering the test has to know which ones to test for.

PCR on a blood sample would only pick up the virus if it is in the blood during an active infection. If the virus has been cleared from the blood, the test will be negative. The usual blood test to pick up infection in the absence of symptoms would be an antibody test (IgG). PCR can be done on fluid from a blister, too.

This article points out the risk of false positive tests. Perhaps the OP would want to consider being retested with a different brand of test.

http://consults.blogs.nytimes.com/20...r-herpes/?_r=0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Really. According to the various medical stuff I've read, something like 90-95% of the population in the US carries it. Those of us who don't are the rarity.
The 90% figure is for the sum of type 1 and type 2. About half the population has had type 1.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2015, 02:46 PM

2,076 posts, read 4,071,283 times
Many people have HSV-1. The biggest "issue", which many people don't know is that you can pass oral herpes (HSV-1) to your partner's genital region via oral sex. It's much more likely for oral/HSV-1 to infect the genital region than it is for gential/HSV-2 to infect the oral region.

The OP could have oral or genital HSV-1. In absence of symptoms it's impossible to know (80% of people who have HSV-1 or 2 have no symptoms).

If I was the OP I would confirm I was tested with an HSV type specific IgG test. Then I would ask for my index value. The index value is basically the "certainty" of the results of the test. False positives are quite common if your index is < around 1.5. The HSV Western Blot blood test is considered the gold standard and is the rule out test for people who believe they may be having a false positive. It's more involved to get the western blot and I believe it costs around $400, but those are your options. Step one involves finding out your test index value.

Personally I think you need to disclose your HSV status. I would be extremely upset if someone knew and didn't tell me that. I've dated people with HSV-2. Statistically you're safer dating someone who knows they have HSV-2 and takes medication and watches for symptoms versus dating a random person who hasn't been tested. It's fairly difficult to transmit unless the person is having a breakout. The problem is a person can also breakout say on their cervix or inside their urethra so a breakout can be active without any visual signs.

STDs, especially HSV, is an area I wish the general population would be more informed about.

Old 11-22-2015, 06:07 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,600,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerntraveler View Post
I wouldnt want to marry you if that gives any idea what others think.Ah, the consequences of sin.....
Wow, just wow. Judgemental much?

Please tell us what sin you are referring to.

Old 11-22-2015, 06:47 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,424,560 times
https://drjengunter.wordpress.com/20...ts-for-herpes/

Old 11-22-2015, 07:18 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,606,453 times
Phureekeeper, the sin of sharing a glass, of course. Leviticus 37:15 Yea, the pharisee who shares a vessel with the Gentile shall be cast down to the pit, there to burn for eternity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
Herpes 1 is mouth sores, it's usually Herpes 2 that causes genital sores, correct? I don't think it's such a big deal.
We were told in sex ed at high school that one can give you the other, so they can't always be two different viruses. And it is a big deal. Everyone always talks about how much cold sores hurt.

Old 11-22-2015, 07:48 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,424,318 times
HSV 1 is oral Herpes. You can get it from your grandmother as a child when she kisses you. I think it is reasonable to believe that many many people have been exposed to it.

The relation between HSV 1 and 2 is there but is more complicated. I have read about it but cannot really explain it in words. Do your research on trusted medical websites like NIH.GOV or the MAYOCLINIC website.

If it gets too uncomfortable to you there are clear band aids that you can purchase which will medicate and hide your sores at the same time. Look on Amazon.com

Good Luck

Old 11-22-2015, 11:23 PM

2,801 posts, read 2,308,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerntraveler View Post
I wouldn't want to marry you if that gives any idea what others think.Ah, the consequences of sin.....
If you are speaking of HSV1 you are going to die a single lonely old man, a FAR majority of the human population is infected with HSV1 NEVER showing symptoms, it has NOTHING to do with "sin".

Old 11-23-2015, 02:52 AM

797 posts, read 1,748,782 times
A lot of doctors dont even test for herpes now (unless requested) because being given a diagnosis is just going to stress you out and add to the stigma. I was told something like 90% of the population has it and it's no big deal. The only major thing to be concerned about is making sure you stay away from young children (especially babies) if you have a cold sore and do not kiss a baby if you have a sore!!! Herpes can kill an infant. Otherwise I dont really think it is that big of a deal

Old 11-23-2015, 02:54 AM

797 posts, read 1,748,782 times
Quote:
excellent blog. Love Jen Gunter

Old 11-23-2015, 03:48 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,351,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
I get a physical every year and I have never been diagnosed as having Herpes Type 1. Neither has my wife, nor any of our kids.
HSV would not be tested as part of a normal physical. I've never seen that test performed as part of a general physical, ever.

Quote:
Herpes is not usually part of a normal STD test. A PCR blood test would show the virus.
You don't need PCR. You can do a simple antibody test for HSV IgG antibodies, for both HSV 1 and 2, which would indicate exposure to the virus.

Not sure what certain posters are freaking out about. HSV 1 is very easy to get. Like someone else mentioned above, your grandmother could've given it to you with just a little peck. Many people won't even know they have HSV because they don't get breakouts and don't have cold sores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness