Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 02:18 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyJackAz View Post
Sadly, no; I exercise very little. Probably, less than most adults my age exercise. And I am disappointed in and ashamed of myself for being so pathetic and lazy.

To make matters worse, my job literally requires that I sit down in a chair, as I am a poker dealer. So, I sit on my fat, pathetic ass for several hours each day that I work, and, even more disappointingly, I spend far too much time at my computer, meaning that I then come home to sit on my fat, pathetic ass in my computer chair for several hours more.

I often try to do some sort of simple stretching, mostly, for/with my legs, as I feel like my parts of body are being pulled inward (literally - which probably has to due with my veins/blood vessels being constricted); but I don't even do that often/for long enough, as it's actually painful for me to try to do the stretches for my legs. So, I typically don't stretch for more than a minute or so; which bothers me, because, while painful, it's also exhilarating to stretch my legs and my arms and it feels like it gets some much-needed help with the blood-flow (capillaries) in my body - particularly, with my legs.

By the way, before anyone else decides that they need to try to belittle me or insult me or to discount the legitimacy of this thread, please know that I am not happy with myself, that I am aware that I could be doing a much better job of getting myself healthy, and that I realize that I am responsible for what I do to/put in my body. With that stated, though, please try to keep in mind that I am not asking for help with an addiction to hard drugs or alcohol or anything that is illegal in any way or that there is a minimum age to be allowed to consume. I now realize that soda is not healthy, but I did not intend to drink so much of this **** and I had no idea that aspartame may actually be poison to a person.

I am simply trying to get some helpful information to be able to try to better myself and my body and to lead a healthier life. And I am posting on here in an effort to get some help; while in a humble, polite, thankful manner, I hope. So, if you'd like to try to offer me some help, please do! And if you don't want to try to help, please go post in another thread.
You posted this at the same time I was making my post above but I'll say it again, exercise does not decrease my thirst for diet soda.

Have you had a checkup lately? There are other problems that can cause leg issues and are more likely to cause leg issues than diet soda consumption. I'm not going to mention any so you won't start worrying that you have them, but you should get a checkup and have some blood tests done to make sure everything is working the way it should be. I thought the aspartame in the soda I was consuming was messing with my legs but it turned out to be something else.

About exercise, if simple stretches bother you, don't try to stretch so much at first. And follow the stretching with something else...go for a walk around the block, get a cheap bike on Craigslist and start riding around the neighborhood, get a kettlebell and start using it several times a day (expect sore thighs the first few days). You mentioned OCD, if you stress out about things a lot, exercising can really help with that, but it has to be the kind of exercise that leaves you sweaty and tired, not a minute of stretching.

You might try swapping out your computer chair with an exercise ball, at least some of the time. It helps you stretch your legs and strengthens your core muscles without you having to do anything extreme. You can get a ball at Walmart for $20 or less and it comes with the pump. If you're clumsy get a ball with sand in the bottom because they're less likely to tip over.

Old 01-21-2016, 02:23 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,787,376 times
I'm less concerned about your caffeine addiction and more concerned about your vitals. When was the last time you had your blood pressure taken? It's called the silent killer for a reason. You mentioned your age to be around 40 right. My instinct tell me that if you've neglected drinking water, you probably have no idea as to your vital stats. I emplore you to stop into Walgreens or CVS to get your pressure taken.

Next, if you start drinking half of your liquids in water you won't have room for all that soda. I too live in a desert which is very dehydrating. I was diagnosed with HBP. I upped my water intake and my pressure dropped 15 points!

Old 01-21-2016, 02:52 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,772,817 times
Here's whatcha do:

Separately enumerate the considerable thrills contained in Diet Coke: Sweetness, Caffeine, Acidity, Vanilla, and BUBBLES.

For SWEETNESS, try Stevia. It's a natural sweetener from a plant. Supposedly, it's harmless. Here's my favorite product. Comes in little packets: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...KL._SY355_.jpg You can get this at health food stores, or, apparently, on Amazon. Sweet Leaf is recommended by experts, and can be found at a good grocery store. The Vanilla Creme variety makes things even easier, by also supplying your 'fix' of addictive Vanilla (don't tell ME Vanilla isn't addictive...). http://www.images-iherb.com/l/WDN-12384-3.jpg

Next, there's Caffeine. That stuff comes in pill form. In the past, I've kicked nasty Caffeine addictions by switching from iced tea (I'm a Southern girl...) to a pill-form Caffeine. The no-doz makes me much more jumpy. You don't get the "Tea Mind" you get from tea. So, you're eager to taper down. You just cut the tablets into smaller and smaller portions, until, after about nine months, you're down to ZERO caffeine. You'll have to analyze just how much caffeine you're consuming, right now, and substitute the same amount, via pill. Just be advised that Caffeine - via pill - is easy to overdo, and has caused quite a few deaths. Be careful. You could die.

Or, you can brew tea, daily, to supply the approximate amount of Caffeine you're getting from the Diet Coke. Like I said, "Tea Mind" is much more pleasant than are "Coffee Mind" or "NoDoz Mind". Maybe you start off with three teabags. Then, you throw away a quarter-cup of the brewed tea. Then, you throw away half a cup... three quarters of a cup... Then you're only brewing two bags of tea - and so on.

Iced tea, with some Vanilla Stevia, the juice of half a lemon, and some seltzer, makes a really nice fizzydrink. And it has it all: Sweetness, Caffeine, Acidity, Vanilla, and those all-important bubbles. Plus, you're getting all sorts of benefits from the lemon juice.

Once the Caffeine is gone, and the sweetness is coming from a harmless plant, there's absolutely no reason to give up all the other good stuff. Another easy fizzydrink, for when you've kicked the Caffeine habit (or are taking Caffeine pills) is this: A few drops of Almond Extract, some Vanilla Stevia, and Seltzer. I find it very comforting.

As for acids, try Honeycrisp Apples. You have my permission to nosh wedges of Honeycrisp, all day long, if you want to - calories be damned.

In case you're wondering, I'm down to one daily teabag of Earl Grey, throwing away 3/4 of a cup of the brewed-overnight pot. My friend Babette, the Hostile Takeover Maven, swears by chilled Green Tea & Seltzer, with no sweetener. You can get a very level-headed buzz, that way.

Old 01-21-2016, 02:55 PM

52 posts, read 99,595 times
im the same as you.

i only drink diet caffiene free sodas. recently pepsi switched from aspartame but i'm not sure what they are using?

lets be real, there is tons of preservative garbage in all the food we eat. the meat and dairy industry is tainted. we don't truly know what is in the water. you can't tell me that if we didn't all eat from our own chemically free raised food on our own controlled land that we wouldn't be healthier with less cancer.

i would love to do something about that but don't have the land so i'm a science experiment just like most of the rest of us.

i can't even explain my issue with diet soda. its almost like a comfort thing. it doesn't taste great to me. crystal light seems sweeter. i pound drinks with every meal and even sip on the stuff when im lounging at home on the computer. so much so i have to **** every half an hour and i must stop drinking hours before bed or i will get up all the time.

i drink it year round but allot more during the summer.

i have phases with my diet and never stray away from the diet drinks because i can't take in those calories. i drink so much diet stuff i rarely drink a lone glass of water.

im 40 and very active. last check during surgery and my vitals were ok.

Old 01-21-2016, 03:43 PM

678 posts, read 697,870 times
If you have to ask? yes....

Old 01-21-2016, 04:17 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,319,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
OP already knows the answer to his question. I don't understand why people start threads in which the answer is patently obvious.
That. ^^^

You're seriously over-working your liver and kidneys. People can be addicted to almost anything when it is done to excess and the detriments exceed the benefits. I think you should discuss this issue with a therapist. Addressing your behavioral problem would take care of your nutritional/medical issues.

Be prepared for some actual physical pain when you come down from all that caffeine. I get shooting pains in my arms and legs when I go cold turkey off four mugs of coffee a day. But that's no reason not to do it. You are consuming a dangerous amount. If you can afford it, you might want to consider a week at a detox spa.

Old 01-21-2016, 05:51 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,342,198 times
Wow, you even have to seat belt it

Old 01-21-2016, 06:05 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooterposh View Post
This has got to be a joke and he is laughing his azz off people.
That's what I think, especially after all those large photos he posted....

Old 01-21-2016, 06:07 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,728,677 times
I, too, was addicted to diet soda ---- Diet Pepsi to be exact. That was ALL I would drink. Nothing else. I knew it was bad for me but I continued. I finally quit (cold turkey) after a 30 year habit. Yes, it was difficult at first. Now? I can't even imagine drinking that crap! I now drink nothing but water. Occasionally, I will have tea or flavored water but nothing beats straight up, cold water.

You really should quit. Just STOP drinking it. It will be hard but you can do it.

Old 01-21-2016, 06:12 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,728,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooterposh View Post
This has got to be a joke and he is laughing his azz off people.

It's not a joke. I HAD a 30 year Diet Pepsi addiction. I used to buy those giant football cups at 7-11 because the refills were only $1. I could go through more than 2 litres a day. I used to drink nothing but Diet Pepsi. No water, no coffee, no tea. Diet Pepsi and only Diet Pepsi

I quit cold turkey and, even though it was difficult, I got through it. I now only drink water and the occasional tea or flavored water
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness