Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 10:29 PM

748 posts, read 820,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyJackAz View Post

I am currently 40 years-old and I have been drinking diet soda for 25 years now (since I was 15). I have alternated between Diet Coke and Diet Pepsi over the years, but, for the past 10 years or so, it has been Diet Coke and Diet Coke only. The reason I drink diet soda has nothing to do with my weight; it actually has to do with me being an extremely hyper child who loved junk food and soda (Dr. Pepper, at the time). So my mom took me to the doctor and explained the situation and it was this doctor who suggested that, if I was going to drink soda, that I should try to drink diet soda instead, since diet soda does not have sugar in it. He suggested this, because, apparently, I was hypoglycemic; which meant that my body makes too much insulin. And he said that if I were to continue to drink so much regular soda (and consume the sugar that's in it) and not take better care of myself, that I would possibly/likely end up causing myself to have diabetes (or something to that effect).
Incorrect. Your body actually makes too little insulin. Basically, you shouldn't drink and eat too many sweets, especially sweet liquids (including juices). Whole fruits, even sweet fruits are fine and perfectly healthy though. Eating an apple is quite healthy, but drinking processed apple juice is much less so, especially if it contains added sugar. That's because the body has a greater difficulty processing sugars found in liquids than solids.

As for the soda habit, read this:
Woman died from drinking 10 liters of Coke a day, coroner says | Fox News

Old 01-21-2016, 10:41 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Lurker View Post
Ive noticed that many people who are avid diet soda drinkers are also smokers. I'm curious if the OP is a smoker.
Smoking doesn't correlate with drinking diet Coke.

Old 01-22-2016, 01:00 AM

109 posts, read 209,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
You posted this at the same time I was making my post above but I'll say it again, exercise does not decrease my thirst for diet soda.

Have you had a checkup lately? There are other problems that can cause leg issues and are more likely to cause leg issues than diet soda consumption. I'm not going to mention any so you won't start worrying that you have them, but you should get a checkup and have some blood tests done to make sure everything is working the way it should be. I thought the aspartame in the soda I was consuming was messing with my legs but it turned out to be something else.

About exercise, if simple stretches bother you, don't try to stretch so much at first. And follow the stretching with something else...go for a walk around the block, get a cheap bike on Craigslist and start riding around the neighborhood, get a kettlebell and start using it several times a day (expect sore thighs the first few days). You mentioned OCD, if you stress out about things a lot, exercising can really help with that, but it has to be the kind of exercise that leaves you sweaty and tired, not a minute of stretching.

You might try swapping out your computer chair with an exercise ball, at least some of the time. It helps you stretch your legs and strengthens your core muscles without you having to do anything extreme. You can get a ball at Walmart for $20 or less and it comes with the pump. If you're clumsy get a ball with sand in the bottom because they're less likely to tip over.
Thank you very much for taking the time to reply and share some of your story with me and for the exercise suggestions! I really like the idea of being able to exercise/strengthen my core and, possibly being able to stretch, while sitting at my computer; but, being seated at an appropriate height for my computer desk, while also being at least somewhat comfortable sturdy, may present a problem.

And I do actually have a kettlebell (a plastic-covered 10-lber, if I recall correctly), so I may actually decide to make some sue of it, now that you specifically mention it! As for the taking short walks around my neighborhood, that should definitely be a viable option for me, as I mow live in a nice, small town, with a nice park with a lake less than a quarter-mile away. So, I will make definitely more of an effort to start taking some walks over there.

As for the O.C.D. and the stress that always comes with it, I would LOVE to be able to find some relief from that! I have also been suffering from O.C.D. for around 25 years (I was actually diagnosed with it around 1990-1991, from what I recall) and it has made my life much, much harder than it needs to be. Honestly, that's the main reason that I had not posted about my Diet Coke consumption/addiction on here sooner (despite having been a member on here for over a year), because I suck at typing (I still do the chicken-peck method), but I want to make sure that I try to use proper spelling and punctuation, while also being overly-thorough with the details and descriptions I am posting, so it's usually a time-consuming and aggravating experience for me to post something. And it sucks! Because, for me, it takes about 5 times as long to type something as it would for a normal person, and it's stressful and frustrating, so I typically just avoid doing it.

However, with my finally having posted about this on here and already starting to get some great replies and helpful advice and information, I truly intend on taking advantage of this information and opportunity and using it to make some positive changes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXIALE02 View Post
I'm less concerned about your caffeine addiction and more concerned about your vitals. When was the last time you had your blood pressure taken? It's called the silent killer for a reason. You mentioned your age to be around 40 right. My instinct tell me that if you've neglected drinking water, you probably have no idea as to your vital stats. I emplore you to stop into Walgreens or CVS to get your pressure taken.

Next, if you start drinking half of your liquids in water you won't have room for all that soda. I too live in a desert which is very dehydrating. I was diagnosed with HBP. I upped my water intake and my pressure dropped 15 points!
Thanks for the response! With regards to seeing a doctor, as I've mentioned before, I don't have medical insurance, and I'm also not in a position to be able to spend $200 for an office visit (although, yes, I realize that this is truly important - I just literally do not have the money at this time), so it's not going to be that simple for me to go see a doctor right now. As for having my vitals checked, I have been to a doctor two times in the past 10 years or so. Once, about 6 years ago and I don't recall what they checked out for me with regards to my vitals, but I was there for a rash on my skin, and they just prescribed me some cream, and I think that was all they did. The other time that I saw a doctor was about 5-6 months ago and I was able to get in as a new patient for something like $175 up front, which turned in to a bill in the mail asking for like $100 more, so the office visit ended up being like $275, which, for me, was outrageous. For the record, I did not end up paying the additional $100 that was due (my credit is horrible, the worst of anyone I know, so I wasn't concerned with what it might due to my credit at the time), plus, I moved about 80 miles away, so going back to that doctor is not an option.

With regards to what the doctor did at that appointment, I had actually gone there to ask about several things, including the skin rash that still shows up at times; hideous toenail fungus; hideous cold sores that I seem to get every couple months; and, especially, pain that I have in my legs everyday, which I'm pretty sure is Neuropathy/RLS (Restless Leg Syndrome) or, possibly some sort of nerve damage, or is due to the veins/blood vessel issues from drinking so much Diet Coke (this issue with my legs is a very serious issue, which I also wanted to post on here about); and I also asked about a few more things, which I had written down on a piece of paper, but the doctor actually had to stop me from asking about all of the things that I had written down, because there was not enough time to address it all during my appointment. And, like I said, the initial appointment cost me like $175 and then they billed me for like $100 more, so I was not able to go to a second appointment to ask the doctor about the rest of the issues/questions I had written down for my list.

Also, I just now remembered why I had actually made the appointment. I had pulled a muscle in my back that was seriously bothersome and was affecting me at work (I could not twist myself around in the chair and grab people's cards and chips without it hurting and it was significantly restricting my movement). She prescribed some muscle relaxers for the back pain, which helped, but, of which, I think I only took 3-4 pills total, as they made me drowsy for, for several hours, even after sleeping for a good amount of time.

I will say that she did do some sort of urine test while I was there, and she also had me go to a Walgreens afterward and get a blood test, mostly, to make sure that my liver/kidney was string enough for to be able to prescribe me the medication for the toenail fungus, and after I got the results back form the Walgreens blood test, she did submit the prescription for me for the toenail fungus medication, but it was like $40 and I could not afford it at the time, so I did not end up picking it up.

I don't recall what all was checked with the blood test that was done, and it only cost like $10 or so, but I think it included several results, and the doctor did not mention anything to me about my results being concerning, so I'm guessing that the results were good overall.

Also, I will say that I pretty much always walk very quickly, so much so, that my daughter constantly complains to me about how quickly I'm walking whenever we go to a grocery store, so I'm sure that helps my health a little. Also, the fact that I have not ever been a smoker, and that I have not ever done any illegal drugs in my life (including marijuana), and that I have not ever been a big alcohol drinker (and currently having drank alcohol in over 3 years), surely helps my health, as well.

However, I know that it would be helpful to get to see a doctor ASAP, so I will be working on trying to make that happen. And, again, thanks for the encouragement to get my vitals checked and to drink water, in that, filling up with some water, likely helping me to consume as much Diet Coke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Here's whatcha do:

Separately enumerate the considerable thrills contained in Diet Coke: Sweetness, Caffeine, Acidity, Vanilla, and BUBBLES.

For SWEETNESS, try Stevia. It's a natural sweetener from a plant. Supposedly, it's harmless. Here's my favorite product. Comes in little packets: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...KL._SY355_.jpg You can get this at health food stores, or, apparently, on Amazon. Sweet Leaf is recommended by experts, and can be found at a good grocery store. The Vanilla Creme variety makes things even easier, by also supplying your 'fix' of addictive Vanilla (don't tell ME Vanilla isn't addictive...). http://www.images-iherb.com/l/WDN-12384-3.jpg

Next, there's Caffeine. That stuff comes in pill form. In the past, I've kicked nasty Caffeine addictions by switching from iced tea (I'm a Southern girl...) to a pill-form Caffeine. The no-doz makes me much more jumpy. You don't get the "Tea Mind" you get from tea. So, you're eager to taper down. You just cut the tablets into smaller and smaller portions, until, after about nine months, you're down to ZERO caffeine. You'll have to analyze just how much caffeine you're consuming, right now, and substitute the same amount, via pill. Just be advised that Caffeine - via pill - is easy to overdo, and has caused quite a few deaths. Be careful. You could die.

Or, you can brew tea, daily, to supply the approximate amount of Caffeine you're getting from the Diet Coke. Like I said, "Tea Mind" is much more pleasant than are "Coffee Mind" or "NoDoz Mind". Maybe you start off with three teabags. Then, you throw away a quarter-cup of the brewed tea. Then, you throw away half a cup... three quarters of a cup... Then you're only brewing two bags of tea - and so on.

Iced tea, with some Vanilla Stevia, the juice of half a lemon, and some seltzer, makes a really nice fizzydrink. And it has it all: Sweetness, Caffeine, Acidity, Vanilla, and those all-important bubbles. Plus, you're getting all sorts of benefits from the lemon juice.

Once the Caffeine is gone, and the sweetness is coming from a harmless plant, there's absolutely no reason to give up all the other good stuff. Another easy fizzydrink, for when you've kicked the Caffeine habit (or are taking Caffeine pills) is this: A few drops of Almond Extract, some Vanilla Stevia, and Seltzer. I find it very comforting.

As for acids, try Honeycrisp Apples. You have my permission to nosh wedges of Honeycrisp, all day long, if you want to - calories be damned.

In case you're wondering, I'm down to one daily teabag of Earl Grey, throwing away 3/4 of a cup of the brewed-overnight pot. My friend Babette, the Hostile Takeover Maven, swears by chilled Green Tea & Seltzer, with no sweetener. You can get a very level-headed buzz, that way.
Thank you very much for taking the time to reply and share all of these drink suggestions and recipes! I would really like to start trying new/different drinks, but, unfortunately, it's just not that enticing to me, as I basically only drink/want Diet Coke at all times, with every meal, and throughout every day of my life. I will admit that some of those drinks you mentioned sound like they'd be good to drink, so I am going to try to get myself to try some of them out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
That. ^^^

You're seriously over-working your liver and kidneys. People can be addicted to almost anything when it is done to excess and the detriments exceed the benefits. I think you should discuss this issue with a therapist. Addressing your behavioral problem would take care of your nutritional/medical issues.

Be prepared for some actual physical pain when you come down from all that caffeine. I get shooting pains in my arms and legs when I go cold turkey off four mugs of coffee a day. But that's no reason not to do it. You are consuming a dangerous amount. If you can afford it, you might want to consider a week at a detox spa.
Thanks for the response and the suggestions! Unfortunately, I can't really afford much right now, in the way of doctor's visits or seeing a therapist. And, to be honest with you, I worry very much about what the withdrawals may be like while coming down from/off of Diet Coke. Not to mention, the daily habit of drinking it throughout each day, and with every meal, and craving it pretty much constantly. So, I am aware that this would/will be a major change in my life to try to make. And that's somewhat daunting. But, I am genuinely wanting to try to make changes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Wow, you even have to seat belt it
I specifically took that picture with the intention of posting it in this thread, mostly, for humor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
That's what I think, especially after all those large photos he posted....
Yeah, good call. I spent like a ******* hour writing the OP and putting forth the effort to use proper grammar and giving a through, detailed description of my personal story, just to troll people on here. Please don't reply to this thread again. Go be a moron elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
I, too, was addicted to diet soda ---- Diet Pepsi to be exact. That was ALL I would drink. Nothing else. I knew it was bad for me but I continued. I finally quit (cold turkey) after a 30 year habit. Yes, it was difficult at first. Now? I can't even imagine drinking that crap! I now drink nothing but water. Occasionally, I will have tea or flavored water but nothing beats straight up, cold water.

You really should quit. Just STOP drinking it. It will be hard but you can do it.
I understand what you are saying when you tell me to "Just STOP drinking it," and that's what it ultimately comes down to, but, as you obviously know, seeing as you mentioned having drank it for 30 years, it's difficult to get yourself to actually stop drinking it. It's something that I've done throughout almost each day of my life for the past 25 years. I am used to going and getting refills as soon as I wake up (if I don't have one in the fridge and need one); and to always having my styrofoam cup sitting next to me while sitting at my computer to be able to sip on at all times (which I have right now as I am typing this sentence); and to having the taste of it in my mouth, as well as the caffeine in my system.

So, like you said, I need to stop drinking it; but, it won't be easy. And, therein lies the problem!

Old 01-22-2016, 01:18 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,795,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
48 here, healthy as a horse as far as I know, been drinking Diet Coke for 30 years. If I drop dead tomorrow, you are cordially invited to my funeral to come say "I told you so."
Same demographic and longevity as you. I average about 5 cans a day. I was down to 3 for a while, but was at almost 12 a day about ten years ago.

I subbed out half of those soda cans with water, adding Crystal Light to it. I average about 10-12 non alcoholic drinks every single day.

Old 01-22-2016, 02:55 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,868,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyJackAz View Post

Thanks for the response! With regards to seeing a doctor, as I've mentioned before, I don't have medical insurance, and I'm also not in a position to be able to spend $200 for an office visit (although, yes, I realize that this is truly important - I just literally do not have the money at this time), so it's not going to be that simple for me to go see a doctor right now. As for having my vitals checked, I have been to a doctor two times in the past 10 years or so. Once, about 6 years ago and I don't recall what they checked out for me with regards to my vitals, but I was there for a rash on my skin, and they just prescribed me some cream, and I think that was all they did. The other time that I saw a doctor was about 5-6 months ago and I was able to get in as a new patient for something like $175 up front, which turned in to a bill in the mail asking for like $100 more, so the office visit ended up being like $275, which, for me, was outrageous. For the record, I did not end up paying the additional $100 that was due (my credit is horrible, the worst of anyone I know, so I wasn't concerned with what it might due to my credit at the time), plus, I moved about 80 miles away, so going back to that doctor is not an option.

With regards to what the doctor did at that appointment, I had actually gone there to ask about several things, including the skin rash that still shows up at times; hideous toenail fungus; hideous cold sores that I seem to get every couple months; and, especially, pain that I have in my legs everyday, which I'm pretty sure is Neuropathy/RLS (Restless Leg Syndrome) or, possibly some sort of nerve damage, or is due to the veins/blood vessel issues from drinking so much Diet Coke (this issue with my legs is a very serious issue, which I also wanted to post on here about); and I also asked about a few more things, which I had written down on a piece of paper, but the doctor actually had to stop me from asking about all of the things that I had written down, because there was not enough time to address it all during my appointment. And, like I said, the initial appointment cost me like $175 and then they billed me for like $100 more, so I was not able to go to a second appointment to ask the doctor about the rest of the issues/questions I had written down for my list.
So I didn't want to mention neuropathy to you and get you thinking of it, but it sounds like you're already there. A few years ago, my legs hurt so much I could barely walk through half of a store, even leaning on a cart. I knew where all the benches in all the stores were. I decided it must be caused by the aspartame in the diet soda or drink mixes that I was using, and I stopped using anything with aspartame in it, and I waited to feel better. It didn't help. About a year later, I had to go to the doctor for a problem I couldn't ignore or self treat and they said I had to have surgery. I had to have a bunch of blood tests before the surgery, and it turned out that I had diabetes. So I asked if my leg pain could be from the diabetes and they gave me a prescription for gabapentin. It worked. I had about two weeks of drowsiness initially, then I got used to it and wasn't drowsy anymore, and I could walk without pain.

You can have neuropathy without diabetes, but if it's caused by diabetes, it usually gets worse and worse until the diabetes is controlled. It can affect more than your legs, it can affect nerves anywhere including the nerves that tell your stomach when to empty or the nerves in your sex organs, stuff like that. The neuropathy in my legs feels like heaviness or things grinding together when I walk, with burning pain and some tingling or crawling sensations too.

You can get a home test for your A1C...the kits are about $40 and include two tests. Walmart used to have a mail-in test that was $9, don't know if they still do because it shows on their website as being out of stock. That would be the cheapest way to find out if you might be diabetic. Another idea would be to call 211 and ask about sliding-scale clinics or community clinics in your area, or find out if there are any free health screenings in your area. If your location listed in your post is still current, here's a clinic that offers a sliding scale North Country HealthCare - Payson

$275 for a single doctor visit is pretty outrageous. If the community clinic doesn't work out for you, are there any Minute Clinics where you live? It's located inside the CVS stores and they've got all their fees listed on the website, so you'd at least know what you were going to pay when you went.

Old 01-22-2016, 05:00 AM

Quote:
So I didn't want to mention neuropathy to you and get you thinking of it, but it sounds like you're already there. A few years ago, my legs hurt so much I could barely walk through half of a store, even leaning on a cart. I knew where all the benches in all the stores were. I decided it must be caused by the aspartame in the diet soda or drink mixes that I was using, and I stopped using anything with aspartame in it, and I waited to feel better. It didn't help. About a year later, I had to go to the doctor for a problem I couldn't ignore or self treat and they said I had to have surgery. I had to have a bunch of blood tests before the surgery, and it turned out that I had diabetes. So I asked if my leg pain could be from the diabetes and they gave me a prescription for gabapentin. It worked. I had about two weeks of drowsiness initially, then I got used to it and wasn't drowsy anymore, and I could walk without pain.

You can have neuropathy without diabetes, but if it's caused by diabetes, it usually gets worse and worse until the diabetes is controlled. It can affect more than your legs, it can affect nerves anywhere including the nerves that tell your stomach when to empty or the nerves in your sex organs, stuff like that. The neuropathy in my legs feels like heaviness or things grinding together when I walk, with burning pain and some tingling or crawling sensations too.

You can get a home test for your A1C...the kits are about $40 and include two tests. Walmart used to have a mail-in test that was $9, don't know if they still do because it shows on their website as being out of stock. That would be the cheapest way to find out if you might be diabetic. Another idea would be to call 211 and ask about sliding-scale clinics or community clinics in your area, or find out if there are any free health screenings in your area. If your location listed in your post is still current, here's a clinic that offers a sliding scale North Country HealthCare - Payson

$275 for a single doctor visit is pretty outrageous. If the community clinic doesn't work out for you, are there any Minute Clinics where you live? It's located inside the CVS stores and they've got all their fees listed on the website, so you'd at least know what you were going to pay when you went.
Thank you very much for taking the time to reply to my posts and for going out of your way so much to share this information, and your story, with me. Please know that I genuinely appreciate it!

As for the Neuropathy, I actually learned of that condition/term a few years ago from my mother, as she had/has it and ended up getting some sort of medication from a doctor (which may have been the same medicine you just mentioned, but I don't know for sure - I actually just sent her a message and asked her about it, but she's sleeping now, so I likely won't hear back from her for at least a few hours), which, I believe, also helped her with the pain in her legs.

I certainly may have Neuropathy, and if that is the case, I'm glad to hear that it helped with the pain in your legs, because that would seem to give me some hope with getting some relief from the pain in my legs. Which I experience and suffer from throughout every day of my life; and have for several years now. However, lately, as in, over thew past year or so, it seems to have been getting worse.

And when it comes to actually being able to fall asleep, the pain in my legs is AWFUL! It bothers me constantly and it makes falling asleep extremely difficult EVERY SINGLE DAY! I basically have to move/adjust my legs every 15-30 seconds, otherwise, my legs/feet start to hurt. So, if I don't fall asleep within a few seconds, I end up having to move/adjust my feet/legs, and often need to roll over to my other side, which ends up preventing me from falling asleep. It's absolutely miserable for me to try to fall asleep, and I suffer through it literally every single day.

And if it's not Neuropathy that's causing the pain in my legs, maybe it's Restless Leg Syndrome (if they're actually different conditions), which I'm not sure of the cause of, but I seem to recall/suspect it being from nerve damage or from blood not flowing through my veins properly/in a healthy manner. And I either heard it somewhere, or thought of it myself, that this may be caused by not exercising enough and the blood not flowing through my body well enough.

Whatever the cause of the pain/discomfort in my legs and feet is from, it's definitely disconcerting and is something that I would really like to get help with/relief from, as it affects my daily life. Especially, when it comes to being able to fall asleep. Or, basically, any time that I sit down/sit still.

As for diabetes being a possible/realistic concern, I am also aware of that, and I would say that it is certainly a realistic possibility. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I was diagnosed as being hypoglycemic about 25 years ago, after going to see a doctor because of my hyperactivity and my soda and junk food consumption (which is what actually led to me starting to drink diet soda back when I was 15). And while I thought that the doctor had told me that hypoglycemia was the opposite of diabetes, and that my body produced too much insulin, which caused my body to rapidly process the sugar I consumed in to my body, which caused it to crave more, while that may have been incorrect - according to someone who posted in this thread earlier - I do specifically recall the doctor telling me and my mom that if I did not stop eating so much junk food/sugar and take good care of my body. that I would likely end up having diabetes. So, this was mentioned to me some 25 years go, and if I have to be honest, I would have to admit that I have not done a very good job of taking good care of my body. So, yes, diabetes is a real concern/consideration. Again, being able to see a medical doctor and actually get a full set of tests done would be ideal right now and very helpful and informative.

I will add that I did see a doctor again about the hypoglycemia/diabetes concerns about 15 years ago, probably, around, 2000, when I was around 25 years-old, and I recall having a "Glucose Tolerance Test" (which someone else mentioned earlier in the thread), because I had to get up really early in the morning, after not having eaten for several hours, and then staying at the doctor's office for several hours, to be able to do multiple tests/at multiple times, and sleeping in between the tests at the doctor's office. I don't recall all of the details from this test/appointment in 2000, but I seem to recall the doctor saying that I did not have diabetes and, possibly, that they did not think that I was hypoglycemic.

And I was just thinking about this right now, as I was posting this, because I hadn't thought of this doctor's appointment from 2000 in a while (I had actually forgotten about it). However, now that I think about it, I do recall the doctor saying that I did not have diabetes and, possibly, that they did not think that I was hypoglycemic

I will also mention that I was commenting about my legs hurting while I was dealing poker last week, to one of the players at the table, and one of us mentioned Neuropathy, and the player I was talking to, it turns out, is diabetic and has Neuropathy, and he offered to bring in one of his blood sugar test kits the next day and test my blood sugar level for me. So, sure enough, the next day, he brought in his test kit and he pricked my finger (which took 3-4 attempts to get enough blood) and checked my blood sugar level (I think it was). When he finally got a good reading, he said my level was actually really good (around 80-90, maybe, but I don't recall, to be honest with you - and it's not that I don't care; it's that my focus and memory and attention span are legitimately awful these days). So, it seems as though my blood sugar level is healthy; but I do realize that that doesn't mean that I do not have diabetes. So, I am still wanting to find out more about why my legs and feet hurt so often.

EDIT: I just re-read your post and saw your description of how the Neuropathy in your legs feels:

Quote:
The neuropathy in my legs feels like heaviness or things grinding together when I walk, with burning pain and some tingling or crawling sensations too.
and, HOLY ****!! That is exactly what it feels like it my legs!! Every. Single. Day. Of. My. Life. Especially, when it comes to trying to fall asleep.

Btw, with regards to the A1C test/reference, I am not really familiar with what that is, but I have heard of it, because I listen to iHeart Radio on my phone quite often and the play lots of AdCouncil and similar ads, and one of them is a PSA for diabetes and he mentions having an "A1C goal" and encourages people to get tested for it, or something like that. So, I would also like to look in to this and find out more about it and, if possible, get tested for it.

I am also fatigued and unmotivated pretty much all the time. And I was going to use the term lethargic to describe the way I feel, but I wanted to make sure that it was appropriate to use, so I looked up the definition of it on Google, and I have to say that lethargy/lethargic would be a perfect term to use to describe how I feel most days of my life.

In case anyone's curious:

lethargy: a lack of energy and enthusiasm

lethargic: affected by lethargy; sluggish and apathetic

OK, as usual, I'm sorry for writing so much. I'm sure that most of you don't enjoy reading such long posts, and that it often discourages/prevents some of you from actually reading what I post. And that's OK. Trust me; it takes a lot longer to write these posts than it does to read them - and it sucks!

I also want to say that I have read, and will continue to read, each and every post that gets made in this thread. And I may not directly reply to each one, but I definitely will read them and I genuinely appreciate all of you who are trying to offer helpful replies!

Edit 2: To Hedgehog_Mom: If you don't mind me asking, how old are you? And, does age possibly have anything to do with developing Neuropathy? Or with how much it affects you?

And to reply to your post with the info. about local sliding scale offices, which I really appreciate you posting, yes, I am currently living in Payson, Az 85541. And in case I were able to find a medical office/clinic that I could get in to that would be likely to offer me some help, I'm bout 75 miles from the Phoenix Metro areas of Mesa, Chandler, Tempe, Scottsdale, etc.

Also, do you possibly know if having toenail fungus (and the thick, bothersome/painful toenails that come with it) can/is likely to affect the severity of the effects of the Neuropathy? I hadn't really thought of this until recently, when I was reading some posts about toenail fungus on here and someone else mentioned it. I don't recall the specific thread I saw this in, and I haven't gone and searched for it again yet, but I wanted to ask about this, as I think there could be a connection; or, at least, that one possibly exacerbates the other.

Last edited by BillyJackAz; 01-22-2016 at 05:47 AM..

Old 01-22-2016, 05:08 AM

Before anyone mentions this as a way to get financial help, I want to mention that I actually have a very loving, very generous family, and that if anyone in my family had the money to give me to be able to go see a doctor, they would, without hesitation. Especially, my mom. Whether it was $200, $2,000, or $20,000, literally. I just want to point this out, as I mentioned earlier how my mom has also suffered from Neuropathy and had gotten some sort of medication for it, so I did not want it to seem as though my mom had suffered through something similar, and had gotten something to help with the pain, but was not interested in or willing to try to help me. I'm sure she would share her medication with me, if she still had it and if she thought it would help.

I also want to mention that I genuinely going to make an effort to start walking around my neighborhood within the next few days. Actually, this weekend will be a good weekend to start going for walks, so I will plan on getting in a walk on/by Sunday night. And, I will try to drink more water than I normally would, starting today.

And, I will work on trying to figure out a way to get to go see a doctor ASAP!

Old 01-22-2016, 06:40 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,327,357 times
I bet you could save the money to go see a doctor by spending less on Diet Coke. You can't stop cold turkey because you will get a horrible caffeine headache. WILL POWER!! Cut back by about 16 ounces every two days until you're down to about 16 ounces, and then start cutting back a couple ounces at a time.

Throw away those giant cups. Buy cans. It will mean opening each one, and it will mean you're more conscious about how much you're drinking. It will also mean you can limit how many you take with you in the morning. Also, it's not as good out of the can so that might help.

Old 01-22-2016, 07:20 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,686,290 times
About caramel coloring:

Does Caramel Color Cause Cancer? | NutritionFacts.org

Used as a coloring agent in products ranging from colas and beer to gravies and soy sauce, caramel coloring may be the world’s most widely consumed food coloring. It helps grocery stores sell more than a billion servings of food and beverages a day. Unfortunately, the manufacturing of certain artificial caramel colorings can lead to the formation of carcinogens such as 4-methylimidazole, which causes cancer in mice but not rats (or at least, not male rats). However, it is unclear whether humans are more like mice or rats in terms of their response to the carcinogen.

To be safe, California officially listed it as a carcinogen and started requiring warning labels on soft drinks containing more than 29 micrograms per serving. The soft drink industry was unsuccessful in opposing the action, so they were forced to reduce carcinogen levels in their products—but only in California. Buy Coke anywhere else, and it may have up to five times the limit (See Is Caramel Color Carcinogenic?).

There’s another class of additives that the soda industry uses to make its soda brown (see Phosphate Additives in Meat Purge and Cola). There are other harmful additives in soda as well (Is Sodium Benzoate Harmful? and Diet Soda and Preterm Birth).

Old 01-22-2016, 07:35 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,686,290 times
Regarding Aspartame, that seems to be some really nasty stuff and, incidentally, it's found in over 6,000 foods, medications, etc. Eat as little processed food as possible:

ASPARTAME AND THE BRAIN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jU15uLzzG9s

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness