Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 04:32 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times

Advertisements

I am pretty sure that's what I've got going on. A few years ago, I had to have both my Achilles tendons rebuilt after a devastating round of Cipro antibiotics that pretty much destroyed both ATs.

Anyway, that was pretty debilitating but the surgeries were very successful. I have good range of motion and have been able to resume most normal activities, including walking for several miles, bicycling, etc. What I have noticed though is that I have to keep my calves and ATs stretched out, which I pretty much do automatically throughout the day. They are always stiff if I've been sitting or when I first get up in the morning. Also, I have to wear shoes with very, very good support and can no longer really wear heels. Oh well, into each life some rain must fall.

OK, so yesterday I was walking my dogs like I often do, wearing good Nike walking shoes, and about fifteen minutes away from my car, I suddenly began to notice that hey, the bottom of my foot and heel was starting to hurt. By the time I got to my car, I was wincing in pain and hobbling. By the time I got home, I could barely stand to put any weight on it. I had to elevate it and take something for the pain before the evening was through.

This morning I could barely stand to put any weight on it, and I began looking into it in earnest. It seems to be plantar fasciitis, but of course if it still is hurting in a few days I am going to go to the doctor to be sure. But meanwhile I taped it up via some online instructions , and have been icing and elevating it and stretching it out. I am able to walk on it but only at a hobble. This is very distressing to me because everything I read says this can take MONTHS to get better!

So - has anyone else had this, and if so, did you have any luck with any sorts of treatments, shoes, exercises, etc? I am so upset! I have all sorts of things to do that require TWO FUNCTIONAL FEET. Ain't nobody got time fo dis!!!!

Achilles tendon damage - the gift that just keeps on giving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2016, 05:13 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,868,439 times
Plantar fasciitis usually takes months to get better, it's true.

I had it a few years back...I broke my leg, so I was putting more weight on the other foot all the time and got plantar fasciitis in the good foot. That wasn't fun. It took about six months to go away.

More recently, I've been having heel pain that seems to be related to tension in my leg. If the muscles are very tight in my thigh or calf, my foot starts hurting too. It's in the area commonly affected by plantar fasciitis, but it doesn't act the same...no pain when I first stand up, it comes on when I've been walking a lot or in stressful situations. The best thing I've found for it is to keep a golf ball under my desk and roll my foot on it when I'm sitting at the desk. Firm pressure gives the most results but can be pretty painful. I started with a tennis ball but it flattened out in a weird way so I switched to the golf ball.

You can get a splint to wear when you sleep that's supposed to help. I haven't tried those because I'm not the most graceful person and I can imagine forgetting that I've got it on, hopping out of bed and tripping over it and doing worse damage to myself.

I bought insoles for plantar fasciitis but they didn't help. I've had success in the past with wearing Okabashi sandals...two weeks of agony while your feet get used to them, but they seem to help after that.

You probably should have your foot looked at, with the surgery you've had before.

Old 01-25-2016, 05:16 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,948,820 times
I probably know more people with a plantar fascitis history than without. It's an easy fix. A couple of cortisone injections into the foot, and prescription orthotic inserts for the shoe. I don't know anyone who needed months of recuperation.

Old 01-25-2016, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Plantar fasciitis usually takes months to get better, it's true.

I had it a few years back...I broke my leg, so I was putting more weight on the other foot all the time and got plantar fasciitis in the good foot. That wasn't fun. It took about six months to go away.

More recently, I've been having heel pain that seems to be related to tension in my leg. If the muscles are very tight in my thigh or calf, my foot starts hurting too. It's in the area commonly affected by plantar fasciitis, but it doesn't act the same...no pain when I first stand up, it comes on when I've been walking a lot or in stressful situations. The best thing I've found for it is to keep a golf ball under my desk and roll my foot on it when I'm sitting at the desk. Firm pressure gives the most results but can be pretty painful. I started with a tennis ball but it flattened out in a weird way so I switched to the golf ball.

You can get a splint to wear when you sleep that's supposed to help. I haven't tried those because I'm not the most graceful person and I can imagine forgetting that I've got it on, hopping out of bed and tripping over it and doing worse damage to myself.

I bought insoles for plantar fasciitis but they didn't help. I've had success in the past with wearing Okabashi sandals...two weeks of agony while your feet get used to them, but they seem to help after that.

You probably should have your foot looked at, with the surgery you've had before.
Oh my! I honestly never thought much about feet or ankles till all this. I am so upset! And no, I can't imagine wearing that splint to bed - I would almost certainly trip on it jumping out of the bed like I tend to do.

Good idea about the golf ball. We have some of those around. I have got to get a handle on this, because I can't bear the thought of cripping around for months again. And my poor husband - he's been a good sport but I don't think he ever expected his very energetic wife to become so crippled for so long. THIS SUCKS.

Also, we have a huge deductible with our insurance so everything will basically be out of pocket expense wise till I reach about $6000. Sheeze, I hate the thought of this merry go round again. I just paid off the two surgeries!

Did your plantar fasciitis come on suddenly? Mine was with absolutely no warning yesterday.

Old 01-25-2016, 05:37 PM

Interesting article about the condition. This article states that the condition can be degenerative and that alarms me since that's what happened to my Achilles tendons. They basically just fell apart. Now I know I better go to the doctor.

This articles does mention MONTHS of pain and rehab, which is what people are telling me is common. However, I just had a friend tell me that hers resolved itself after a week or so of physical therapy, so who knows? I guess I'll find out. Maybe it's not even this at all, but it sure does sound like it is.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/0...oot-pain/?_r=0

Old 01-25-2016, 05:41 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Yup.

Left foot.

Boot at night to keep my foot from pointing, frozen water bottle rolled under foot, and orthotics.

Made sure calves are well-stretched, too.

Gone.

Old 01-25-2016, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Yup.

Left foot.

Boot at night to keep my foot from pointing, frozen water bottle rolled under foot, and orthotics.

Made sure calves are well-stretched, too.

Gone.
How long did this take? I can order the brace online and I already have custom heel lifts from my Achilles tendon surgeries, though maybe I need some other kind, I don't know. I'm really trying to avoid going to the doctor since everything will be out of pocket till I reach my obscene deductible.

My orthodontic surgeon tried to warn me about more possible tendon damage after both my ATs were affected by the antibiotic. He told me that I'm not out of the woods. I hate to think that this could actually be degenerative. I sure hope it's not.

Old 01-25-2016, 05:47 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
How long did this take? I can order the brace online and I already have custom heel lifts from my Achilles tendon surgeries, though maybe I need some other kind, I don't know. I'm really trying to avoid going to the doctor since everything will be out of pocket till I reach my obscene deductible.

My orthodontic surgeon tried to warn me about more possible tendon damage after both my ATs were affected by the antibiotic. He told me that I'm not out of the woods. I hate to think that this could actually be degenerative. I sure hope it's not.
It took a few weeks.

Hard to remember exactly, but like one day I just suddenly remembered...Oh, I'm not in pain.

Your situation is different - make sure to see your doc.

Old 01-25-2016, 05:54 PM

478 posts, read 773,734 times
I had it a few years back, at least all the symptoms matched what was described on whatever websites I was checking. I'd say it was a good month before it faded away. I didn't see a doctor or use any products or gadgets, but I found online some excercises that I performed regularly that I believe helped me through it. Shouldn't be difficult to find them online, if I was able to. One of them involved leaning on a wall with feet a certain distance from the wall and keeping the feet flat on the floor.
Perhaps this syndrome comes in many "sizes" and "flavors," so to speak, so your mileage may vary.

Old 01-25-2016, 06:16 PM

3,262 posts, read 4,999,956 times
I've never heard of a rapid recovery from plantar fasciitis, but anything's possible. When I had it, it took a good year for it to go away, same for my sister, and I met a woman for whom it took two years.

I used the frozen water bottle a lot, and put arch supports in all my shoes. In addition, I don't go barefoot on hard-surface floors, which I used to do all the time, and which my doctor said probably led to the problem.

But with your surgical history, OP, I'd think you'd want to be seen by a doctor to be sure it is plantar fasciitis and not something related to your surgery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness