Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 01:14 PM

11 posts, read 18,753 times

Advertisements

The alternative testing methods are there for those people who for medical reasons can't do the colonoscopy & for those who absolutely refuse to do the procedure for whatever their reasons are.

Like others have said, if the test comes back positive, then you'll have to have the colonoscopy so they can take a look inside & see what's going on.

By implementing the alternative methods, the American Cancer Society feels more people now are at least checking.

Regards,
Soul

Old 02-18-2016, 01:26 PM

2Sleepy:

The colonoscopy shorts have a flap on the back side that comes down to expose only the patients buttocks.

A gastroenterologist I spoke with looked at the shorts & recommended to the facility he works out of to buy the shorts for the patients. He told them maybe more people would decide to get tested. The facility said no, it wasn't in the budget.

He also looked at the boxer shorts idea & said it was possible if the facility would allow it. His wouldn't.

I told him he should go somewhere else where the facility cares more about patient needs.

Regards,
Soul.

Old 02-18-2016, 01:58 PM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulstealer View Post
2Sleepy:
The colonoscopy shorts have a flap on the back side that comes down to expose only the patients buttocks.
A gastroenterologist I spoke with looked at the shorts & recommended to the facility he works out of to buy the shorts for the patients. He told them maybe more people would decide to get tested. The facility said no, it wasn't in the budget.
He also looked at the boxer shorts idea & said it was possible if the facility would allow it. His wouldn't.
I told him he should go somewhere else where the facility cares more about patient needs.
Regards,
Soul.
I understand that, but how is it that you feel your modesty is compromised if they allow you to wear a hospital gown?

Old 02-18-2016, 04:52 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
My modesty is not a concern when I am in a hospital for any reason. With the gown, the only thing exposed for a colonoscopy is my rear end. A man could "adjust" himself to get the sacred bits up in front. You lie on your side so they will stay there.

By the time people are doctors, nurses, etc, they have seen thousands of those sacred bits and don't bother to look. It's like us looking at a cash register - we see it but we don't notice it.

Old 02-18-2016, 04:53 PM

Hi 2Sleepy: It's been my experience that hospital gowns don't stay on very well during procedures and personnel don't do much to put them back on. They just want to get done & on to the next case. The "human" element isn't there anymore. Colonoscopies have become a conveyor belt type procedure. Get them in, done, & out as quick as possible. Their mentality has caused errors especially when it comes to cleaning the scope between patients. The pressure to get as many done in as short a time as possible has caused personnel to cut corners in the cleaning process whereby exposing the next patient to possibly deadly viruses. Regards, Soul

Old 02-18-2016, 05:06 PM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulstealer View Post
Hi 2Sleepy: It's been my experience that hospital gowns don't stay on very well during procedures and personnel don't do much to put them back on. They just want to get done & on to the next case. The "human" element isn't there anymore. Colonoscopies have become a conveyor belt type procedure. Get them in, done, & out as quick as possible. Their mentality has caused errors especially when it comes to cleaning the scope between patients. The pressure to get as many done in as short a time as possible has caused personnel to cut corners in the cleaning process whereby exposing the next patient to possibly deadly viruses. Regards, Soul
With all due respect, you are over thinking this. The gown stays on just fine, you will be conscious and your hands are not restrained, just adjust the gown if you feel too exposed. Check yelp or other sites for reviews of the colonoscopy center and the physician that you have in mind and avoid the ones with patient reviews that mention they felt like it was a 'production line'.

On the other hand, if you just plain don't want to have one, then just tell your doc how you feel and be done with it, it's your right to refuse a procedure. I don't have mammograms anymore, I had a breast condition when I was young that left scar tissue that appears the same as a cancer would in the mammogram and they kept doing biopsies which were always negative. I got sick of it, so I weighed my risks and decided not to go through that again. However, with that said, if you have family members who had colon cancer I strongly suggest that you find a way to have one in spite of your concerns.

Old 02-18-2016, 05:40 PM

983 posts, read 1,055,173 times
Err...this is a *medical procedure*. The docs and staff aren't oogling your "parts". Although in my experience, they've always done plenty to preserve my dignity...If you wind up with colon cancer, the indignities of a colonoscopy will seem like nothing.

Get the test done under sedation. You aren't aware of any "exposure", not that there is much anyway...you might be able to get a same gender doc, although most of the other staff (nurses, techs) tend to be women. And they don't care what you have/don't have.

The risks of a colonoscopy are small compared to the risks of getting cancer. And of course, after treatment for cancer, then frequent colonoscopies are required.

Old 02-18-2016, 07:19 PM

13,252 posts, read 7,304,105 times
I think most who worry about modesty have never experienced any real health issue because once you face a real medical problem you won't care much about modesty. The last 2 I had they gave me a little bit of the fentanyl before I went into the room to calm me after that you could careless what they are doing back there you feel great I love that drug even after felt great really was happy the rest of the day.

Old 02-18-2016, 08:48 PM

753 posts, read 1,104,515 times
What other people have said. Medical professionals have already seen thousands of people's naked body parts and they aren't there to ogle you or touch you in inappropriate ways. And if you ever are hospitalized with a serious illness or injury, you'll be glad that there are people there who can help you with even your most intimate personal needs (e.g, when I broke my leg I was in a giant cast at first and needed a CNA or occupational therapist to help me to the toilet and shower).

Anyway, here's a tip re the colonoscopy.... try asking the staff for a blanket which you can arrange to cover more of you than the hospital gown will. I've had to have some upper endoscopies done lately at a facility where they keep their procedure rooms really cold, but if I ask they will always bring me an extra warm blanket before they wheel me in there.

Old 02-19-2016, 10:36 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
I have no modesty when it comes to medical procedures. Of course I'm female, so getting naked, spreading your legs up in the air is a yearly occurrence. EVERYTHING else affords greater modesty.

And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness