Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 10:17 PM

143 posts, read 111,446 times

Advertisements

I was hoping to visit an old friend from many years ago who now has dementia. We have not seen each other in probably 35 years or so but were high school sweethearts and on/off again for ten years after. We did not part on bad terms, we just sort of drifted off our own different ways. When I heard he had dementia and was in a home, I felt just awful as we are only in our early 60's.
A relative of his that I contacted does not feel that I should see my old friend. He never gave me a reason why, and I did not want to press the issue. The relative did say that my friend remembers me. I had always heard that visits were a good thing and I had experience with dementia with my own mother. I would have loved for anyone to visit her in the nursing home when she was there. Any thoughts as to why my visiting would be a bad idea? I certainly would not want to upset my friend but would love to see him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2016, 12:17 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,519,774 times
Assuming your mother was married at the time, how would you have felt if an ex showed up to chat with her? If your father was living, how would he have felt? I think if you answer those questions, you will find your answer. Now if your ex isn't married, maybe the answers you give don't matter.

Old 02-01-2016, 12:54 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,182,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
Assuming your mother was married at the time, how would you have felt if an ex showed up to chat with her? If your father was living, how would he have felt? I think if you answer those questions, you will find your answer. Now if your ex isn't married, maybe the answers you give don't matter.
Good grief!!! It was thirty-five years ago, and they went to high school together. If he presently has a wife, I would hope she would be mature enough not to spin off into some jealousy fandango because of a visit. It would be totally ridiculous. These people are all adults, not idiot adolescents.

Old 02-01-2016, 01:02 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,416,504 times
Visit.
Often dementia patients remember 30 and 40 years ago better than yesterday.
Neither of you has anything to lose, and your visit could bring a great deal of joy.

Old 02-01-2016, 07:30 AM

2,007 posts, read 2,903,440 times
my mom has dementia and she loves visitors from the past. Sometimes, right after, she seems melancholy eitehr because of memories, or maybe some sense that she is in a different place than old friends, but she then forgets about the visit so no harm no foul. She seems happy when they are there and that's what matters. And I agree with the good grief comment above!

Old 02-01-2016, 08:12 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,402,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mycatz View Post
Any thoughts as to why my visiting would be a bad idea? I certainly would not want to upset my friend but would love to see him.

This isn't about you. It's about this man and his family. Would you want your husband's former lover to show up unexpectedly while he is in a home dying out his days?

It was 35 years ago, and it's inappropriate for you to show up now.

Old 02-01-2016, 10:57 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,807,637 times
People with dementia have forgotten their spouses and fallen in love with another patient. In fact, there was a well-known book written about one such couple (forget the title). Maybe he is afraid of something like that happening?

Old 02-01-2016, 08:09 PM

143 posts, read 111,446 times
Well, there is no spouse in the picture. And I'd like to hope he's not exactly "dying out his days" in the home-sheesh, that's awful. I guess I don't see what's inappropriate about visiting a person you once cared alot about, shared a past with, and showing some compassion and maybe offering a little respite from his condition. Even if he had a wife there, I wasn't planning on jumping in the sack with him. I would also be checking with her first before I visited if she were around.
And if an ex of my mom's had shown up to visit? I don't know who would have been happier, her or me. Probably me, she may not have had a clue who she was talking to.
Aside from that, thank you KEVXU and others for your sane comments.

Old 02-01-2016, 09:47 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,861,727 times
The ways that people with dementia can behave are sometimes embarrassing for the family. My dad has it and he does some embarrassing stuff. It doesn't bother me, but my sister can't stand to be with him in public. So maybe the relative is embarrassed or worries that the way your old sweetheart behaves now will tarnish your memories of him.

Old 02-01-2016, 09:53 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,365,023 times
I say visit. You have no idea why they thought it wouldn't be a good idea? Maybe they just didn't want the inconvenience of hosting a visitor, and it was nothing more than that?

It'd be good for your friend. If you're sure it won't be too upsetting to see that they've declined a bit in memory and awareness, then I say try again to arrange a visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness