Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 12:26 PM

3,563 posts, read 1,879,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE1SG View Post
Hmmmmmm, some okay comments. Thanks. On the other hand, if my toe hurts, I don't need an anal exam. A little common sense, but if some of you are okay with that, then so be it. ME, not happening.

SS: no I'm not a woman.

NBP: no I'm not shopping for pain medicine.

Texas: no, I determine what I'm paying for and need. If I'm rushed to an ER with a severed leg, that doesn't necessarily warrant a urinalysis or rectal exam. About the visit, I'll restate: THE DOCTOR REFUSED TO SEE ME WITHOUT A URINALYSIS FIRST!!! LOL.
I would think the doc would do the exam THEN order whichever labs, urine or blood, he felt you needed based upon his impressions during the exam.

Asking for a urine sample prior to the exam seems really odd to me. Docs normally order labs specific to the pt, and prior to the exam have no idea what that pt will need ordered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2016, 02:43 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,608,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
Doctors will test, as the other poster noted, depending on the type of medication they might prescribe and/or before certain scans. If the hospital decides to send a patient under sixty years to CAT SCAN without a UPREG/HCG performed, someone is going to be in trouble.

There must be a lot of people in trouble every day, then.

Old 02-06-2016, 02:44 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverItAll View Post
I would think the doc would do the exam THEN order whichever labs, urine or blood, he felt you needed based upon his impressions during the exam.

Asking for a urine sample prior to the exam seems really odd to me. Docs normally order labs specific to the pt, and prior to the exam have no idea what that pt will need ordered.
Yes, for those who are convinced the doc just was looking out to help diagnose some issue, why no blood work? CBC, etc. are ordered much more than a urinalysis...unless the intent truly was to test for drugs.

Old 02-06-2016, 04:02 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,334,617 times
I don't understand why this one doctors rules/procedure for his own private practice is such a big deal. It's not like he's the only doctor available. He runs his practice how he wants, you can take your business elsewhere. Move on.

Old 02-06-2016, 04:18 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times
I think the issue here is lack of respect.

Unfortunately, when most people gave up paying cash for an office visit, they also gave away a big chunk of their rights. 2 years ago, I paid my last visit to a long-time physician because the girls at the desk kept pestering me for my insurance card, and almost refused ro take my check, looking at it suspiciously (not because I've ever passed a bad check, but because they weren't used to being paid that way).

I now am a member of a concierge medical practice. For $1500 a year, I pay no office visit fees, get to see the doc within 48 hours (sooner, if emergency), can refuse any tests, can refuse any meds, and get treated like the discriminating medical consumer that I am. I usually don't even see him once a year, so he's not losing money on the deal.

Nowadays, if you want to get out of the "industry", you have to pay for it.

Old 02-06-2016, 05:06 PM

10,233 posts, read 6,319,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
I think the issue here is lack of respect.

Unfortunately, when most people gave up paying cash for an office visit, they also gave away a big chunk of their rights. 2 years ago, I paid my last visit to a long-time physician because the girls at the desk kept pestering me for my insurance card, and almost refused ro take my check, looking at it suspiciously (not because I've ever passed a bad check, but because they weren't used to being paid that way).

I now am a member of a concierge medical practice. For $1500 a year, I pay no office visit fees, get to see the doc within 48 hours (sooner, if emergency), can refuse any tests, can refuse any meds, and get treated like the discriminating medical consumer that I am. I usually don't even see him once a year, so he's not losing money on the deal.

Nowadays, if you want to get out of the "industry", you have to pay for it.
That is so true. I am an old lady. There wasn't any insurance when I was a child or young woman. I can remember my parents taking me to a Clinic and paying CASH for my office visit. I suppose those with money went to a private practice and paid their own personal doctor a lot more CASH.

If you think about it, it was a lot less expensive. You weren't paying monthly premiums to an insurance company. You only went to a doctor when your were actually sick and only paid out money at that time, not every single month when you weren't sick and did not go to a doctor.

Old 02-06-2016, 07:05 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,578,668 times
Quote:
Hmmmmmm, some okay comments. Thanks. On the other hand, if my toe hurts, I don't need an anal exam. A little common sense, but if some of you are okay with that, then so be it. ME, not happening.

SS: no I'm not a woman.

NBP: no I'm not shopping for pain medicine.

Texas: no, I determine what I'm paying for and need. If I'm rushed to an ER with a severed leg, that doesn't necessarily warrant a urinalysis or rectal exam. About the visit, I'll restate: THE DOCTOR REFUSED TO SEE ME WITHOUT A URINALYSIS FIRST!!! LOL.

Well if you were there for BACK pain, your kidneys are in your back and urine is made in your kidneys.

Also, pain medications and others are broken down in the kidneys. The Dr. needs to know that your kidneys are functioning properly in deciding how to prescribe treatment.

Old 02-06-2016, 10:50 PM

97 posts, read 118,875 times
Doctors these days? First of all you didn't even meet with the doctor. Even if you did that's one doctor...one.

Old 02-07-2016, 02:01 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,357,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
There must be a lot of people in trouble every day, then.
If something ends up happening and someone catches it, yes. The last time at work they were trying to write someone up was because there was a negative UPREG reported out and they sent a person into scan/x-ray. Something must've came up because UH OH they suddenly ordered a BHCGQ and it was positive---not barely positive where a UPREG might miss it. (They think the urine might have been mislabeled. Mislabeled specimens are unfortunately more common than one would hope.)

In the hospital, CAT SCAN will harass you for the UPREG/HCG results before doing anything. The doctor/pharmacy will also wait on those results depending on the medication. I'm not sure why that's so hard to believe---they are always going to do that to cover themselves.

Old 02-07-2016, 02:49 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,720,028 times
Quote:
c-l: But this is the meat of the matter. I wasn't there for a UA, or for a discussion of UA results, or a pelvic exam, or anything else OTHER than meeting and evaluating a prospective PCP.

Yes, everyone is correct, I've been out of the loop for quite sometime, good health is a good thing. It just amazes me of the sheer number of people who seem incapable of thinking for themselves. As one poster has said numerous times: thinking and having an opinion is a RED FLAG! So for that poster, following the rules in Elementary school is far more important than asking WHY!! You don't want to raise a RED FLAG!

I should have been a bit more specific, but at the time didn't think it was necessary. I do not have back pain, only a knotted muscle in between my shoulder blades that is wrapped around a nerve that causes random shooting pain and numbness down my left arm. Years ago, this knot would have worked itself loose after a day or so, but alas, I'm not 21 anymore. I thought a physician with basic muscular-skeletal knowledge could provide a little more information on stretching exercises that I might have missed.

For the one post who prefers to name call, I've never ever taken or been prescribed any form of steroid. And oh by the way, where the hell did that come from?? Have you never worked out? As in physical exercise? Probably not... And as for drugs, unlike the majority, I've never taken any illegal drug. So most of you are right, I'm definitely in the minority.

I'll just continue stretching and let the muscle heal rather than waste any more time with our Drug Industry induced and sponsored medical care. Yes, I do have insurance and have always paid for it, but never ever used it.
And, more than ever, you're best course of action is to stay out of the loop. The medical cartel is the most corrupt industry in the history of man.

It's heartening to see some intelligent responses respecting your stance and viewpoint. The numerous other ones are the reason the system is as broken and insufferable as it is.

You're doing the right thing. Take care of yourself your own way and, for the sake of your physical and mental health, stay as far away from the system as you possibly can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness