U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 01:41 AM

1,141 posts, read 2,967,698 times
My brother had the surgery once, with only limited success and then a gradual return of symptoms.

I know it is not the "quick fix" that you probably want for him, but he got rid of 90% of his sinus issues with the following: Something similar to the Sinucleanse mentioned above, eliminating dairy in his diet, regular chiropractic adjustments, eliminating as many refined sugars/carbs in the diet as possible (generally just improved his whole immune system, he did this last), and taking probiotics to clear up all the immune system damage in his gut from the repeated courses of antibiotics.

Right now, all the "good" bacteria which keep your husband's system in balance are completely ravaged by the antibiotics he has been taking. He should get on some high-quality probiotics (refrigerated ones) from the local healthfood store to help get his gut back in balance where it belongs.

My brother also stated that he would try some acupuncture if his symptoms ever got worse, as he has a friend who had luck with that for sinus issues.

Hope that helps!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2010, 01:06 PM

207 posts, read 435,332 times
I had sinus surgery about 5 years ago. I was having constant sinus infections & then one that finally didn't respond to repeated antibiotics and prednisone treatment. My ENT didn't want to rush into surgery so I did the meds and the sinus flush for four months. The surgery was successful for a short time, I'd say about one year. Then scar tissue forms & starts clogging up the passages. My surgery was not painful at all. They didn't stuff my nose with gauze afterwards, instead it was something they injected that stops the bleeding, a filler type material and it disintegrates gradually in your body, so no yanking out of gauze, which is the painful part most people told me about. I'm glad I had it because I was so sick, but it isn't something that lasts forever. I do the sinus rinse religiously but still get the occasional sinus infection & allergy problems (nothing specific).

Last edited by butterfly57; 01-01-2010 at 01:07 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 03-11-2010, 11:26 PM

1 posts, read 2,647 times
I am currently in bed recovering from sinus surgery yesterday, I am in indescribable pain. The doctors gave me a prescription of Vicoden in which did absolutely nothing for the pain it only made me go to sleep, they then switched me to percote(sp) which still isn't giving me much relief. I had about six procedures done at once, I had all four sinus cleaned out(endoscopic), a deviated septum fixed and something else I have no idea how to explain. I am 20 years old and a very healthy female besides my sinus. I still have all my packing in and can already breathe better then I could before, this leads me to believe that once all of this horrific pain goes away and I heal it will help in the long run. I have mild bruising already and pretty sever swelling I have kept ice on it all day and it seems to help a little. The Dr. who preformed this surgery is nationally known and I couldnt have asked for a better Dr and nurses. I recommend checking out doctors first and finding who is the most reliable. Good luck to you and Hopefully your recovery goes better then mine is!

Old 07-24-2011, 09:25 PM

1 posts, read 2,143 times
I had that procedure and it completely changed my life. I used to get sick at least once, if not more a month(for over 30 years). I had the surgery and within 2 months felt better than I ever had in my life since I was a kid. I use the nasal lavage(douche) religiously, I now can't imagine life without it, it is like washing your hands, except you wash your sinuses. That is the only extra thing that I have done since surgery and I had surgery 6 years ago. I don't have allergies and don't get the flu anymore and have had 4 infections and they were not bad at all(although, since not having an infection in so long when I had one, I thought I was gonna die- the infections now are a bigger pain than the surgery). The surgery was not what I would call really painful, my knee surgery hurt alot worse. The technology has really come ALONG way since the 80's or 90's. It is an outpatient procedure and you come back the next day to get the breathing tubes out( believe me when I say it does not hurt, but you can really freak your self out over it- no pain but alot of weird warm wet sensations). Then you will have to sleep in a 45 degree tilt for a week or so ( this was the worst because your body naturally will wake up alot because of the position and the breathing -your body is having to heal and to re learn how to breath out your new sinuses-again through your nose thing) So be sure that you have alot of good movies or pretty good TV that plays stuff 24 hrs a day. Then you will go in and have the tampons removed( seriously did not hurt at all- and then your husband can brag that he used the same brand of tampons as you! ha) If you are getting scared that that much stuff can fit in your head you are not alone, but it all fits up there. Now this is the worst, but not horrible part. The last thing you will have to have happen is the removal of what I term the "hockey sticks". This is not fun but dosn't hurt. It last all of 10 seconds and makes your nose bleed-never knew a good amount of blood could come out of your nose and you not loose conscience. It is uncomfortable but is quickly over, plus they drug you up before hand. And that is it. Give yourself a couple of weeks and you will be wanting to marry your doctor! You have to be diligent with cleaning your sinuses-I mean you shower regularly-right? The same dirt that touches your skin get inhaled and touches your sinuses. Other than that, I live a different life now, the only draw back is that now my eustation tubes are a little smaller and that if I get lazy with my nasal cleanse they can get stopped up. Not a bad swap for being sick all the time. All the other suggestions above are good, check out your ENT, mine was phenomenal- he was the head of Otolaryngology for both the medical school and for the hospital, he had done alot of these surgeries and knew his stuff. Make sure you have plenty of pain meds and don't be scared to use them. And BE POSITIVE, I know how that sounds, but this surgery is a game changer- You will not feel the same after it- it is a surgery so it won't be fun, but you can get through it and when it is over your life will be so much better. Put it this way, if your are saying yea maybe but I still don't like it-then I say good , because if you did like doing that sort of thing you would probably be at a very different type of hospital! Good luck and I hope all works out for the best!~And I have to point out that your wife is looking for answers so you have a good support system-thank her! Believe it or not having a great care taker during this surgery is a wonderful help! I did and I am glad you do too. Just make sure she knows how grateful you are!

Old 04-05-2012, 09:44 PM

1 posts, read 1,927 times
I had the endoscopic procedure yesterday. A lot has changed since the 80s & 90s (or so I'm told). I've had other surgeries (non sinus-related) so not new to general anesthesia, etc. This post-op is rather unpleasant. Your bleeding from the nose & spitting up blood that needs to clear out. The good news is that it starts getting much better by the next day & I imagine it'll get even better over the next few days. I was prescribed co-tylenol & it completely killed the pain at home. All I can say is that it's really gross, unbelievably unpleasant, but it doesn't last long. I'm not trying to make anyone feel bad, rather to accurately manage your expectations because I wish somebody was more candid with me about what to expect.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:07 AM

259 posts, read 182,917 times
Fell better, Bella^

I know this is an old thread, but still a good resource for those going through this and considering the surgery.

I had this in 2006- chronic sinus infections and a bad one in the maxillary sinus that wasn't going away even after 2+ mos of hefty antibiotics. Endoscopic surgery is basically "Roto-Rooter". I also needed a septoplasty, as my septum was completely blocking the opening on one side. While I was at it, I also got a rhinoplasty and fixed the bump on my nose that I hated.

Those are 3 different procedures, and the rhino was not covered under insurance- which was fine, I wanted it, I paid for it. Everyone had a story for me about how their nose job was covered, their friend's nose job was covered, blah, blah blah, why wasn't mine....my septum was as busted as can be, but a nose-job is completely different and only covered if it's for reconstructive surgery.

Anyway, I really had no other options than to get the sinus portion done at the time- then again, I never knew about Oil of Oregano or any other natural remedies to try first back then. I was put on a ton of vitamin supplements several weeks before the surgery to prevent catching a cold and having to reschedule. Had a list as long as my arm of many things like Advil, etc. that you can't take from 2 weeks prior, so you don't bleed as much. You don't want to obstruct the surgeon's view when he's doing work so close to your brain and eyes.

Very painful when I woke from the surgery. Ugh, I still remember it. Every nerve in my face was lit on fire the next day. I was bruised and swollen, (I looked like an alien with 2 black eyes and a softball-sized swelling in my forehead) but THAT was due to the nose job rather than anything else. I was warned that when the Dr. pulls the packing out the next day, it's pretty brutal, but I was hurting so bad, it didn't make a difference.

They took a ton of junk out of my sinuses that was making me so infected, and I did heal rapidly. Every day, you start feeling better. Recovery took total of 2 weeks. Had to follow up and do the sinus rinse every day. It was amazing to me that the water went up one nostril and came out the other. It never worked that way on my busted sinuses before. It was amazing to be able to BREATHE out of both sides, too. Through my nose, not my mouth!

The surgery did not last forever with me, though. I am recently back experiencing sinus problems. The procedure basically just wipes the slate clean. But if you have allergies, your sinuses can stuff back up again. I know of people who have multiple sinus surgeries, and I am very reluctant to do that again. I had success with oil of oregano clearing up a nasty infection when antibiotics didn't. I do the sinus flush every day. Another thing that works that amazes me is acupressure - massaging certain trigger points has opened my sinuses right up and greatly lessened my dependency on nasal sprays, etc.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:43 AM

1 posts, read 1,844 times
I had sinus surgery 2 weeks ago and I would never go through this recovery pain again. I am a tough old broad, but this brought me to my knees. I am still in pain and won't even know how successful it is for a few months. Now in the fall when allergy season comes around, we will see if it was worth the pain. I had no clue what to expect and still don't. I will be seeing my ENT later this morning and we will see.

Old 10-16-2012, 04:22 PM

1 posts, read 1,679 times
hello my son had the surgery was doing fine for about a month then it all went to hell ...it started to bleed out more from his nose and month had to rush him to the hospital twice for this it was BAD he lost so much blood big clots then went to the stomach.. he was throwing up blood..finally the pack his nose so far so good... but who know what will happen when they remove the packing... i only pray it works....did this happen to others plz let me know

Old 01-26-2013, 03:19 AM

1 posts, read 1,512 times
I had the old fashioned endoscopic sinus surgery in the early 90's which proved ineffective. I recently had the balloon sinus surgery a month ago along with septoplasty and turbinectomy. This was done because of frequent sinus infections that lasted 1-2 months each. It was painful and have had two post op visits to date. I CAN breathe thru my nose right now but still am experiencing a ton of sinus pressure. It's still crusting and I still have green mucous and blood clots that come out. I have frequent nausea and am experiencing worse headaches/migrains now than ever before and my sleep apnea is worse than before. If I had to do this again - I would not as I've been sick every day since then. Hoping this will change soon!

Old 01-26-2013, 04:15 AM

9,778 posts, read 6,636,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttfn57 View Post
I had the old fashioned endoscopic sinus surgery in the early 90's which proved ineffective. I recently had the balloon sinus surgery a month ago along with septoplasty and turbinectomy. This was done because of frequent sinus infections that lasted 1-2 months each. It was painful and have had two post op visits to date. I CAN breathe thru my nose right now but still am experiencing a ton of sinus pressure. It's still crusting and I still have green mucous and blood clots that come out. I have frequent nausea and am experiencing worse headaches/migrains now than ever before and my sleep apnea is worse than before. If I had to do this again - I would not as I've been sick every day since then. Hoping this will change soon!
sounds dreadful. Bless your heart. Those of us who don't go through such should count our blessings everyday! I do hope and pray you'll overcome this and feel so much better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness