U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-06-2016, 04:26 PM
 
Location: Tennessee
16,227 posts, read 21,996,637 times
Reputation: 23996

Advertisements

This lady I used to sit with at night, used to have her heat cranked up! It was hot in her house, plus she would be covered up with a big blanket!

She got pneumonia here not long ago, not sure if the spelling is right.
Anyway, she was in the hospital for a week! She is back home now and I went to visit her just a little bit ago, and it is freezing in her house! She had her arms showing, and I ask the sitter why? What happened?
She said that she got that way in the hospital, and has been that way since she has come home.

What could be the cause of the change in temp?

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 02-06-2016 at 05:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-06-2016, 04:42 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles>Little Rock>Houston>Little Rock
6,488 posts, read 6,607,969 times
Reputation: 17329
Well, my hubby is currently in the hospital with pneumonia being only one of his problems. He is normally always cold, but his hospital room is a bit chilly compared to yesterday, yet he seems comfortable. Perhaps the lady has a slight fever and is too warm.

BTW, pneumonia is a ridiculous spelling for a word that sounds like newmonia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2016, 04:49 PM
 
Location: Tennessee
16,227 posts, read 21,996,637 times
Reputation: 23996
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
Well, my hubby is currently in the hospital with pneumonia being only one of his problems. He is normally always cold, but his hospital room is a bit chilly compared to yesterday, yet he seems comfortable. Perhaps the lady has a slight fever and is too warm.

BTW, pneumonia is a ridiculous spelling for a word that sounds like newmonia.
I knew the word started with a P not an N! Grammar police!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2016, 09:35 PM
 
Location: Georgia, USA
21,527 posts, read 26,146,877 times
Reputation: 26527
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
I knew the word started with a P not an N! Grammar police!
Maggie was just making a comment, not criticizing you. She just meant that the spelling and pronunciation are very different.

Pneumonia is derived from ancient Greek πνευμονία ‎(pneumonía, “lung disease”), from πνεύμων ‎(pneúmōn, “lung”).

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/pneumonia#Etymology
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2016, 10:15 PM
 
Location: home state of Myrtle Beach!
6,235 posts, read 18,145,289 times
Reputation: 3420
Something for you to think about:

My husband died of kidney cancer last July. The last few years of his life he was always cold; even when standing outside when it was 90F. Winter was the worst; our winter electric bill soared to almost $400 one especially cold month. We didn't know he had cancer until 20 days before his death.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2016, 01:14 PM
 
Location: Tennessee
16,227 posts, read 21,996,637 times
Reputation: 23996
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
Something for you to think about:

My husband died of kidney cancer last July. The last few years of his life he was always cold; even when standing outside when it was 90F. Winter was the worst; our winter electric bill soared to almost $400 one especially cold month. We didn't know he had cancer until 20 days before his death.
I`m sorry to hear about your husbands death!

Wow! Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2016, 01:28 PM
 
Location: Tennessee
16,227 posts, read 21,996,637 times
Reputation: 23996
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Maggie was just making a comment, not criticizing you. She just meant that the spelling and pronunciation are very different.

Pneumonia is derived from ancient Greek πνευμονία ‎(pneumonía, “lung disease”), from πνεύμων ‎(pneúmōn, “lung”).

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/pneumonia#Etymology
This is good to know! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2016, 08:25 AM
 
Location: home state of Myrtle Beach!
6,235 posts, read 18,145,289 times
Reputation: 3420
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
I`m sorry to hear about your husbands death!

Wow! Thank you.
Thank you!

As a long time smoker, I always figured cancer would get him, but it never dawned on us or his doctors, apparently, that the coldness he experienced was a symptom that should have been taken more seriously than it was. Having COPD and Emphysema, he saw his doctor regularly and she was just as surprised at what his last CT showed.

We live and learn!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2016, 02:35 PM
 
33,058 posts, read 12,532,839 times
Reputation: 20945
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
Thank you!

As a long time smoker, I always figured cancer would get him, but it never dawned on us or his doctors, apparently, that the coldness he experienced was a symptom that should have been taken more seriously than it was. Having COPD and Emphysema, he saw his doctor regularly and she was just as surprised at what his last CT showed.

We live and learn!
My uncle was so cold the last few years of his life. My aunt kept the house at about 90 and kept him covered in blankets with his feet on hot water bottles. He had COPD and Emphysema and we all thought it was poor circulation.

Turned out it was brain cancer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2016, 02:53 PM
 
Location: Fredericksburg, Va
5,120 posts, read 12,734,224 times
Reputation: 7221
Being hot, then cold, then hot, etc...does NOT cause pneumonia. A virus or bacteria is the cause...not the temperature!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top