Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 07:04 PM

30,369 posts, read 19,156,062 times

Advertisements

I stopped drinking soda pop years ago but I enjoy coffee additives in my coffee which I agree are not healthy....trying to switch to coconut cream.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2016, 07:13 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,583,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openmike View Post
On very rare occasions I have purchased coke zero ,but only drank half of the bottle. In truth it isn't bad just not refreshing. I find cold filtered water refreshing ,but lately either get Simply Limeade or we squeeze limes and add a little sugar even Xylitol ,but mostly sugar. My point is I find Sodas simply aweful tasting and unhealthy . Diet sodas are jacked with super sugar additives one of the worse drinks for diabetics on earth. Caffeinated drinks are tough on the kidney's and lattes are killing Americans. All these drinks drive the body into acidosis some having a PH of 2.5 whereas an alkaline is near 7! Cancers are advantageous when fed by sugars and low PH. Coke is corrosive as are all coloa's some containing 8-12 tsps of refined sugar. Artificial sweeteners like Splenda, aspertame, and frutose are dangerous in their own ways they metabolize. Aspertame converts to wood alcohol and metabolizes to the brain quickly. The hits alter transmitters and invade tissue that can result in seizures, blindness ( temporary) brain tumors, stroke, and aggravating temporal arteritis. Plus the gut cannot figure out what to do with these substances. If one evaluates coffee additive ingredients it's like they threw the kitchen sink of carcinogens into these unmonitored death traps!!
There are studies indicating that coffee is good for you, up to a point. Consider that humans have been consuming coffee for centuries.

You add sugar to your drinks, although just a little. Sugar is poison. Few things are as harmful as sugar. (I like sugar, but just sayin')

I have not read any conclusive studies showing that Splenda is harmful. I haven't read up much on other artificial sweeteners, but have seen nothing conclusive.

I do know that beef CAUSES cancer. It doesn't merely provide an environment conducive to it. Do you eat beef?

I drink home brewed cold green tea with artificial sweeteners. I love it. It has a little caffeine but not much. (Green tea is a cancer fighter. Do you drink green tea?)

I love diet sodas, too, which I drink only on occasion. But I love 'em and find they really quench my thirst, whereas water, oddly enough, sometimes doesn't. I keep filtered water in the fridge and drink it occasionally.

Most things are fine in moderation.

Old 02-10-2016, 07:17 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,838,905 times
Lose fifty pounds, Mike then get back to me with your health tips. I'm probably older than you, four inches taller and weigh twenty pounds less. I'm active, work three to six days a week and drink Coke almost every day. I don't drink coffee, much less a quart and a half a day. My health is great.

I also don't proselytize about food, health, religion, politics or prepping for doomsday. Thanks for your interest.

Old 02-10-2016, 09:22 PM

28 posts, read 23,522 times
Simply put, soft drinks and coffee additives are addicting. If you grow up with it, then it is likely that you will carry that addiction with you into adulthood. Fortunately I was able to force myself to kick it in favor of water, black coffee, and other healthy drinks, but not everyone is able to do that. It's sad too, because if you can kick it then you'll notice immediate health benefits as soon as a month or two.

Old 02-10-2016, 10:26 PM

1,023 posts, read 1,551,908 times
90% of the world's adult population consumes caffeine daily (whether through tea, coffee or soda) so it's hard to believe it's that bad. That's also my retort to the "grains are poison" crowd.

By the way what exactly is a coffee additive?

Old 02-11-2016, 05:14 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,960,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openmike View Post
On very rare occasions I have purchased coke zero ,but only drank half of the bottle. In truth it isn't bad just not refreshing. I find cold filtered water refreshing ,but lately either get Simply Limeade or we squeeze limes and add a little sugar even Xylitol ,but mostly sugar. My point is I find Sodas simply aweful tasting and unhealthy . Diet sodas are jacked with super sugar additives one of the worse drinks for diabetics on earth. Caffeinated drinks are tough on the kidney's and lattes are killing Americans. All these drinks drive the body into acidosis some having a PH of 2.5 whereas an alkaline is near 7! Cancers are advantageous when fed by sugars and low PH. Coke is corrosive as are all coloa's some containing 8-12 tsps of refined sugar. Artificial sweeteners like Splenda, aspertame, and frutose are dangerous in their own ways they metabolize. Aspertame converts to wood alcohol and metabolizes to the brain quickly. The hits alter transmitters and invade tissue that can result in seizures, blindness ( temporary) brain tumors, stroke, and aggravating temporal arteritis. Plus the gut cannot figure out what to do with these substances. If one evaluates coffee additive ingredients it's like they threw the kitchen sink of carcinogens into these unmonitored death traps!!
Here's some news for you: no one gets out of life alive, so everything we do ultimately results in the same conclusion: death. And BTW, these substances have not been shown to cause cancer in humans. If they had, they would have been taken off the market. Drink what you want, as will everyone else.

Old 02-11-2016, 01:48 PM

862 posts, read 1,197,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
If you don't like a beverage, don't drink it! Worry about your own health. Let others worry about themselves. Problem solved!

True but there will always be those who just need the drama just like what happen a few weeks ago at a cigar lounge down the street from me. One afternoon a group of older men were inside watching sports on the TV while enjoying their cigars and coffee only for a group of high school students to bust into the place screaming about how cigar smoking causes lung cancer and other health issues. At one point one girl even threw water at a man smoking a cigar saying how she is "saving his life". Talk about drama !! Unfortunately I can easily see this sort of thing happening with someone drinking a Coke in a public setting.

Old 02-11-2016, 02:19 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,621,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tantan1968 View Post
True but there will always be those who just need the drama just like what happen a few weeks ago at a cigar lounge down the street from me. One afternoon a group of older men were inside watching sports on the TV while enjoying their cigars and coffee only for a group of high school students to bust into the place screaming about how cigar smoking causes lung cancer and other health issues. At one point one girl even threw water at a man smoking a cigar saying how she is "saving his life". Talk about drama !! Unfortunately I can easily see this sort of thing happening with someone drinking a Coke in a public setting.
Good grief! That's a wonderful way to get yourself arrested! Yes, you can actually be arrested for just throwing a glass of water at a person. It's assault and battery. Most people wouldn't take too kindly to that kind of behavior. Perhaps a night in jail would give those kids something to think about and maybe their parents would learn a little something about their special snowflakes.

Newsflash...everything today causes cancer....seems like it at least. And guess what! I know some will find this shocking.... We're ALL going to DIE! No one has lived forever. You might as well have some fun while you can!

Old 02-11-2016, 03:13 PM

26,653 posts, read 28,677,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Good grief! That's a wonderful way to get yourself arrested! Yes, you can actually be arrested for just throwing a glass of water at a person. It's assault and battery. Most people wouldn't take too kindly to that kind of behavior. Perhaps a night in jail would give those kids something to think about and maybe their parents would learn a little something about their special snowflakes.

Newsflash...everything today causes cancer....seems like it at least. And guess what! I know some will find this shocking.... We're ALL going to DIE! No one has lived forever. You might as well have some fun while you can!
Yeh but this is the health and wellness forum so most people here are trying to find out how to be healthy. A lot of things do cause cancer but since cancer can take such a long time to develop, it's extremely hard to prove. We just try to do the best we can do to remain healthy.

Old 02-11-2016, 11:29 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,621,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Yeh but this is the health and wellness forum so most people here are trying to find out how to be healthy. A lot of things do cause cancer but since cancer can take such a long time to develop, it's extremely hard to prove. We just try to do the best we can do to remain healthy.
So go be healthy, but don't complain about what others eat or drink. It's not your problem! If someone wants to drink 4 gallons of coffee a day, good for them! I imagine they spend half the day in the bathroom, but maybe that's the only place they can read, check email, have peace and quiet, get away from annoying people, whatever. Good for them! Enjoy your coffee! Who am I to say anything?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink