U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2016, 09:29 AM

8 posts, read 6,752 times

Advertisements

I would like to get some opinions on this. Not sure if I have any recourse, if any regarding a wrong diagnosis and the bills related to it. Is the doctor responsible for my medical bills for a wrong diagnosis?

A few months back when I was between health insurance plans I had unusual muscle pains to the left and right of my stomach. Did not feel like a pulled muscle and did not go away after 10 days. Just moved to a new area and found a new doctor.

He gave me a full physical examination, asked many questions. Said it sounded muscular Then he asked for a urine sample. His lab gave him the results back a few minutes later and he said he was surprised that it came back with blood in it. Based on this information he thought I had kidney stones. so he wanted me to get a cat scan. Being a self pay, I did not go to the hospital, but a local scan center. $500 vs $1200.

Scan came back negative. He called me and was surprised as he expected to find stones. He sent the urine out to the hospital lab and it came back negative for blood. His office testing equipment, a simple "dip test" I found out later, gave a false positive. He then diagnoses me with a pulled muscle. A few weeks pass and it goes away with ice and advil.

Ok, I am out $180 for the office visit, $500 for the scan. Life goes on and I get some piece of mind. Then the radiology bill comes in for $250 that I did not expect. I then called my doctors office, spoke to the office manager, and explained my concerns about another $250 bill for a miss diagnosis. She then explained to me their radiologist did not review it because I did not get the scan there, but a radiologist associated with the scan company. Based on the doctors faulty in house equipment, I got an unnecessary scan and reading. I asked if they would cover the $250 scan under the circumstances. She said she would talk to the doctor and get back to me.

The doctors response was no because my physical complaints were "inline with a kidney stone issue". But this contradicts what he said. There were no talks about getting scan before the urine test ...he was surprised the first test came back with blood in my urine. So the doctor lied to protect himself.

Total expenses around $950 in the end, of which $180 for the office visit is the only part I can appreciate the cost of.

At first I did not blame the doctor. Based on his equipment results of showing blood in my urine, I think he made the right choice. I even told the office manager this. However, his faulty testing equipment cost me another $750 and refuses to accept liability for his faulty equipment. The office manager then told me it was a simple dip test strip and is not 100% accurate. What?!?!? But the office manager then told me if I had the scan and reading done at their affiliated hospital, they could have "done something" with the bills. Ug....

At this point I am upset because the doctor is just trying to cover himself. I was willing to let it go until the $250 reading bill came in and started this mess.

Who is liable for the $750 for the scan and reading?

Old 02-27-2016, 09:41 AM

13,258 posts, read 34,613,675 times
What did your lawyer say when you asked him? I'd follow his advice.

Old 02-27-2016, 10:17 AM

3,431 posts, read 2,751,065 times
The problem is the "dip test" that was used in the first place, and the fact that it gave back a false positive. Based on the positive result, he did the correct thing in ordering more tests. Since the dip test is known to be not 100% accurate, though, I wonder what the error rate is for that.

It's too bad that you paid out of pocket to get the imaging done at a company of your own choice, but you chose to do that. That wasn't the doctor's suggestion.

Old 02-27-2016, 12:15 PM

18,786 posts, read 6,138,018 times
OP, I feel your issues....been there. I sent you a DM.

Old 02-27-2016, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
What did your lawyer say when you asked him? I'd follow his advice.
No Lawyer.

Old 02-27-2016, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
It's too bad that you paid out of pocket to get the imaging done at a company of your own choice, but you chose to do that. That wasn't the doctor's suggestion.
How would that matter if the first test was a false positive? I have no guarantees that the doc's relationship with the hospital would have given me any discount or waive of the fees.

Old 02-27-2016, 03:44 PM

3,431 posts, read 2,751,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLBREEZE View Post
How would that matter if the first test was a false positive? I have no guarantees that the doc's relationship with the hospital would have given me any discount or waive of the fees.
There's no reason at all, though, why the doctor would be responsible for covering costs for tests/procedures/etc. that you obtained from a company that he did not advise you or direct you to go to. That idea was yours, and completely yours. It's too bad, but it was 100% your decision, and he had no role in it, and so he has no reason to pay for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness