U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2008, 08:49 AM

13,140 posts, read 35,972,978 times

Advertisements

If been preaching on here over a year now about the Power of the purple Polyphenols in Berries and Grapes and Red Cabbage etc...and now another study here off the ''Journal of Food Agriculture and Chemistry'' where they fed a high fat diet to mice for 8 weeks and gave them Extracts of these Polyphenols and they weighed less than the control group who didn't recieve these and also had less disease markers in their blood.

Natural Purple Pigments In Fruits, Vegetables And Berries, Such As Blueberries, May Help Prevent Obesity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 08:55 AM

21,902 posts, read 20,895,074 times
You always have such good threads and posts...full of great information. Thanks!!

Old 02-11-2008, 08:56 AM

40 posts, read 282,999 times
It's interesting. This is one study that would suggest that it is better to supplement an extract, rather than eating the whole fruit. I would be interested in knowing more details about the "extracts" that they fed these animals.

Old 02-12-2008, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hguru View Post
It's interesting. This is one study that would suggest that it is better to supplement an extract, rather than eating the whole fruit. I would be interested in knowing more details about the "extracts" that they fed these animals.
I think because the extracts are more concentrated than the fruits and secondly the extracts have no sugars where as the fruits have lots of Fructose so that could be bad for people with blood sugar disorders.

Old 02-12-2008, 10:16 AM

35,885 posts, read 65,253,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
I think because the extracts are more concentrated than the fruits and secondly the extracts have no sugars where as the fruits have lots of Fructose so that could be bad for people with blood sugar disorders.
Could you please help me w/ terminology? Is juice the same thing as an extract? How does one create an extract - remove water from it? But isn't that a concentrate?

How could one translate the info to "real life" - meaning - if the extract is more effective than the whole fruit - how do I find blueberry extract?

Thank you!

Old 02-12-2008, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Could you please help me w/ terminology? Is juice the same thing as an extract? How does one create an extract - remove water from it? But isn't that a concentrate?

How could one translate the info to "real life" - meaning - if the extract is more effective than the whole fruit - how do I find blueberry extract?

Thank you!
Well extracts (plant extraction) are a manufactering process. I don't know the exact procedure but its a process of separing the contents from the pulp and then only a certain compound from the whole fruit or vegetable is used.

I still think that whole foods were superior before we started losing our topsoils which are so concentrated in minerals and other nutrients for the plants so eating these now (except maybe organic) will have less nutrient density.

One capsule of Blueberry Extract can have 100 mg of Procyanidins where as you might have to eat 3 to 4 pounds of Blueberries to get that amount.
Blueberry extracts are found in health food stores or from suppliers online.

Old 02-12-2008, 07:18 PM

40 posts, read 282,999 times
The value using extracts rather than fruits makes sense to me. When you remove the water and waste from a fruit and make an extract, you are left with a much more concentrated form of nutrients.

On the other hand, most of these studies that come out say you should try to get nutrients from food rather than supplements.

So I guess what you should do is go to a drugstore and buy a good fruit supplement.

Old 02-13-2008, 06:58 AM

35,885 posts, read 65,253,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
Well extracts (plant extraction) are a manufactering process. I don't know the exact procedure but its a process of separing the contents from the pulp and then only a certain compound from the whole fruit or vegetable is used.

I still think that whole foods were superior before we started losing our topsoils which are so concentrated in minerals and other nutrients for the plants so eating these now (except maybe organic) will have less nutrient density.

One capsule of Blueberry Extract can have 100 mg of Procyanidins where as you might have to eat 3 to 4 pounds of Blueberries to get that amount.
Blueberry extracts are found in health food stores or from suppliers online.
Interesting. My research suggests that consuming foods, rather than taking supplements, is the only way to really get good nutritional value. However, this info about extracts has convinced me to add them to my regimen. I would think the extracts in conjunction w/ a well balanced diet will be beneficial . . . as long as they are being digested properly. I surely am willing to try it.

Thank you all for the info!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness