Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 01:15 PM

885 posts, read 1,166,910 times

Advertisements

Tried meds: gabapentin, Cymbalta, Savella, Lyrica, and others I don't even remember. Plus tried Physical therapy, chiropractor, acupuncture. Elimination diets, exercise, rest, heat, cold, and on and on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 01:31 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times
I was told I had the FM syndrome in 1999 and never did any of those drugs. I work with all alternatives and I've sent you some info via DM. Thyroid is so connected and many talk about iodine for energy too. I've been dosing with iodine for years. I am not bouncing off the walls with my life, but I'm also dealing with other issues and older age...aging does a job on us too. But I keep working with "stuff" that's I've heard about for years from other health groups and friends.

Old 03-28-2016, 02:03 PM

48,524 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrykaren View Post
Tried meds: gabapentin, Cymbalta, Savella, Lyrica, and others I don't even remember. Plus tried Physical therapy, chiropractor, acupuncture. Elimination diets, exercise, rest, heat, cold, and on and on.
I have moderate/severe RA and FM. Pain is the norm.

Did you try them for at least 3 months or more? Most take a while to see an effect. When I first started Lyrica I couldn't walk to the store from the parking lot. I was a mess, which was leading towards a nervous break down. And some meds can just stop being effective.

In the evenings I take a muscle relaxer and stretch/yoga. That has helped when it's bad, plus I have an TENS machine that I can put on stubborn muscles.

I take a mild pain killer to go to the gym daily, and I do a hard workout to tire the muscles. The FM pain I ignore and the RA pain I work around (if my feet hurt I do elliptical instead of running).

I take a lot of meds, and I'm always trying to reduce them, and introducing supplements like curcumin and fish oil (for the RA), BUT my quality of life is good. I workout, hike, swim, paddleboard, bike, etc.

You just have to keep trying and find the med that will work for you.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-28-2016, 02:14 PM

That's great Mikala that you can do all that strenous workouts. I worked out at my gyms into my mid 60's and had to stop as OA advanced and hip mess started it's joy ride...I now walk as best I can and ride my recumbent bike all since hip surgery botched mess. I could be better off if I had not but I'll never know for sure. I'm happy enough with what gentle work I can do approaching 78....you are probably younger than me...

My neighbor deals with RA now for a couple years and her life has changed...and not for better. A friend's sister too just got the dx a couple years ago and tried a lot of supps and takes a couple of the RA meds. These ladies are both in their late 60's...

Old 03-28-2016, 02:19 PM

48,524 posts, read 34,843,322 times
I'll be 50 this year. For RA exercise is one of the ways to keep it at bay. Our last trip I went ATV'ing and did an obstacle course up in the trees. Did I hurt after? Sure did.

I also have a chiropractor who does wonders on my back (one of the areas I have RA).

I was diagnosed 5 years ago, and whole thing hit me like a freight train. I was so scared of being crippled, then I got my fight back.

OP: Don't give up, fight for finding the right treatment for you.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-28-2016, 02:57 PM

Oh my, I was on top of the world at 50. Non stop at everything.

Old 03-29-2016, 11:32 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,123,754 times
We were an Army family so we've lived all over, with differing temperatures. There has never been a difference for me, but I have MMP, not just FM.

Hot tubs and massages always seemed to help, as does hot wax (I have a machine at home). I wish you good luck in finding something that helps to ease the pain.

Old 03-31-2016, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I have moderate/severe RA and FM. Pain is the norm.

Did you try them for at least 3 months or more? Most take a while to see an effect. When I first started Lyrica I couldn't walk to the store from the parking lot. I was a mess, which was leading towards a nervous break down. And some meds can just stop being effective.

In the evenings I take a muscle relaxer and stretch/yoga. That has helped when it's bad, plus I have an TENS machine that I can put on stubborn muscles.

I take a mild pain killer to go to the gym daily, and I do a hard workout to tire the muscles. The FM pain I ignore and the RA pain I work around (if my feet hurt I do elliptical instead of running).

I take a lot of meds, and I'm always trying to reduce them, and introducing supplements like curcumin and fish oil (for the RA), BUT my quality of life is good. I workout, hike, swim, paddleboard, bike, etc.

You just have to keep trying and find the med that will work for you.

Thank you. I found that the meds last about a year then stop working. I take many supplements now- 20 pills a day (about 10 different kinds) I was tested for thyroid, RA, lyme, etc- all negative. I do what I must do- life goes on- take frequent breaks and rest. Pain meds when needed for my "bad" days. I was just hoping there was a climate (we are need retirement age), that I could try that. I am followed by a functional medicine doctor and I'm now also gluten free. That helped slightly, hopefully it will help more as time goes on.

Old 03-31-2016, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post
We were an Army family so we've lived all over, with differing temperatures. There has never been a difference for me, but I have MMP, not just FM.

Hot tubs and massages always seemed to help, as does hot wax (I have a machine at home). I wish you good luck in finding something that helps to ease the pain.

Thank you. I remember having hot wax for my hand (injured in a car accident yrs ago) at PT. It was so nice. Do they make hot wax swimming pools? Now THAT would work!

Old 03-31-2016, 02:03 PM

467 posts, read 1,890,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrykaren View Post
Marijuana?
Choosing The Most Effective Cannabis Strains for Treating Fibromyalgia Pain - Fibromyalgia News Today
Fibromyalgia - NORML.org - Working to Reform Marijuana Laws
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness