U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 04:40 PM

11,342 posts, read 20,111,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrykaren View Post
Thank you. I remember having hot wax for my hand (injured in a car accident yrs ago) at PT. It was so nice. Do they make hot wax swimming pools? Now THAT would work!
That sounds like heaven to me!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2016, 09:02 AM

843 posts, read 730,241 times
Thank you everyone for your imput.

Old 04-04-2016, 10:03 AM

119 posts, read 85,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrykaren View Post
What is the best weather for someone with chronic pain: humid like Florida, or dry like Arizona? I have fibromyalgia. Sometimes even my lower jaw, fingers, and toes hurt so much I wake up at night, and have balance issues. The rest of me hurts all the time. Anyone with any experience with moving to a different climate and feeling better? Thanks.

I lived in NC for 15 years and just moved to Tucson, AZ. I have Fibro and OCD/Anxiety. In general the low humidity makes me feel less stressed, and when i am less stressed my fibro is better. I felt I was always worse in high humidity.

Old 04-04-2016, 11:56 AM

23,036 posts, read 7,970,463 times
I thought of moving to NC and after a couple weeks in the summer, I ran back to Calif. We have so so little humidity.

Old 04-25-2016, 09:32 AM

4,772 posts, read 6,545,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Oh my, I was on top of the world at 50. Non stop at everything.
I would be too, if not for FM. Otherwise, I'm in great health and decent physical shape for my age.

I'm wondering if we could have them make a Fibromyalgia sub-board for us here? Mikala?

Old 04-25-2016, 09:40 AM

4,772 posts, read 6,545,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
Marijuana?
I've considered that myself, but I don't think even medical marijuana is legal in my state.

I've also considered that it might help my MIL, who has an essential tremor in her head. It embarrasses her, keeps her from social situations, and she also says it hurts her neck. She has tried the medications and they don't work, and she is 81 and doesn't want to have the surgery.

Old 04-25-2016, 10:40 AM

13,756 posts, read 18,640,029 times
I'm getting a hot tub at the end of this summer because a friend of mine is getting a new one . She told me this one she is giving me is only a yr old she wanted a bigger one so she is giving me her three person one and she Is paying for the guy to set it up for me . I have had it with this pain every other day and to no avail and I am living on ibuprofen which is not kind of life ...so onward and upward .

Old 04-25-2016, 05:39 PM

19,547 posts, read 18,630,951 times
Much as I'd love a fibromyalgia and CFS sub forum, I don't think we'd be able to get one if we asked.

Probably the best we can do is to have these threads about the subjects.

As far as weather and climate--I found a better answer by going to a fibro doctor. He had so many patients that he didn't even see us one at a time. He had group appointments.

His recommendation for everyone was the same: 15-20 minutes of aerobic exercise every day. Some people readily agreed to that but others complained that they were in too much pain to do it. My problem was that I was so weak that I could barely walk. He told me to get the exercise by swimming in a pool.

It CAN be done. In my particular case, I signed up at the Y for an arthritis class. Unbelievably, the woman who ran the class specialized in fibromyalgia. She had us simply walking from side to side in the pool while floating our arms back and forth, marching in the pool, all sorts of easy exercises. It was a warm water physical therapy pool and had rails and a ramp for getting in and out.

For me, since I was supposed to be getting light aerobic exercise every day, she also assigned lying down exercises for at home. Three days a week at the pool, the other days, at home. Every.Single.Day.

It worked!!!!!!!!!!! I can recommend this treatment--no need to find a fibro dr because this guy was an expert at a large Boston hospital-- and it worked!!!!!!!!!

(I'll see if we can get a fibromyalgia sub forum. It's worth asking about.)

Old 07-17-2016, 08:21 AM

10,152 posts, read 4,746,246 times
I was DX with fibro in 1991. I have bad flare-ups, my regular daily pain and then there are episodes of complete exhaustion where I feel I must go home and get in bed immediately. That's how I felt yesterday. I was on the treadmill at the gym finishing up when I realized there is no way I'm lifting weights today (I am a 61 year woman - I do no more than 45-60 lbs on the machines). I went home, took an Ativan and slept for 2 hours. Woke up at 4:20 p.m. and by 8:00 p.m. I couldn't wait to get back in the bed.

Granted I had a very busy week with every day accounted for and I think I just over exhausted myself. While I have pain, the worst thing I suffer from with the fibromyalgia is the poor sleeping and fibro brain.

And like many with fibro, on good days we try to do too much and then pay for it the next day.

Old 07-17-2016, 11:34 AM

23,036 posts, read 7,970,463 times
Sounds like a little overdoing it. I was told in 1999 I have the FM but I think it's so much to be addressed, thyroid for a big one.

I've always gone to the gym but gave it up in my mid 60's, joints just got too stressed so WHY push it. Do easy work at home and light at gym, I got to the point at the gym where I was doing floor work stretching.

Just caught up with an old friend recently and he was doing major gym work and had to STOP, he was destroying his joints. Ended up with disaster of knee replacement and now considering shoulder replacement next month. Says all the gym work did him in.

The explosion of gyms have probably been negative for many.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness