U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2016, 01:14 PM

2,161 posts, read 4,015,612 times

Advertisements

I'm a male in my mid 40's. About a year ago I started have issues with veins bulging in tops of hands and feet when they are not elevated above my heart. Never had any issues with this before 1 year ago. I also feel a lot of pressure in the veins when they bulge. It's a daily thing I have to deal with now all day every day. Pain in the butt and looks like crap. I know it's relatively common among older people as I now have observed. But I seem to have a severe case of it for my age, none of my friends, family or anyone I know or see my age seems to have it to this extent in their hands.

My primary care doctor and a vascular surgeon I visited seemed to think it was not an issue. But I felt they looked at it very superficially and just got me in and out of their office like an assembly line. I'm just wondering if there is more of a major issue here I might have to be worrying about? Or if there is anything I can do to make it better besides trying to keep my feet and hands elevated above my heart when I can. I thought maybe there would be someone here on CD that experienced similar conditions.

I also have very low body fat (I'm in very good physical shape), so the veins show a lot more prominently in my hands vs. someone who carries a lot more body fat.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2016, 11:32 AM

11,496 posts, read 25,164,839 times
It's probably because you have low body fat that your veins are more prominent. Some men like to have a lot of visible veins and some women definitely like that look.

I think if it's painful, then you should try to get the doctor to take it more seriously. My mom has bulging veins on her legs and feet and she says they're very painful. But you're a lot younger than she is and it sounds like you're in much better shape, so I doubt that your prominent veins are a sign of anything serious.

Old 04-07-2016, 11:37 AM

29,240 posts, read 14,343,443 times
I know that grape seed extract is recommended for vein viscosity. This antioxidant thins the blood. My skin is thin and I'm going on 78 so my veins in my hands are more prominent than ever in my life. You might want to research this antioxidant for your issue.

Old 04-07-2016, 03:29 PM

5,644 posts, read 12,616,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I know that grape seed extract is recommended for vein viscosity. This antioxidant thins the blood. My skin is thin and I'm going on 78 so my veins in my hands are more prominent than ever in my life. You might want to research this antioxidant for your issue.
There is no such thing as "vein viscosity" and "blood thinners" per se don't "thin the blood" they affect clotting factors making clotting less likely but there is NO effect on the "viscosity" of blood

Old 04-07-2016, 09:34 PM

Thanks everyone. I did start taking Grape Seed and Horse Chestnut supplements about a year ago. I haven't really noticed any type of change from taking these. I changed to a different health provider a few months ago, I will go for a second opinion from my new primary doctor and a different vascular surgeon and ask more in depth questions. When I first had it looked at it was just starting a year ago and I didn't know to push the doctors more for answers. Now it's progressed to be worse than it was then. It tends to get especially bad in the evenings.

My feet don't bother me as much. But my hands do bother me. It is very difficult to keep your hands elevated all the time to relieve the symptoms. Everything you do in life pretty much your hands are below your heart. So even typing this the veins are bulging bad. Every 10 seconds or so I stop typing to raise my hands up to relieve the pressure. So like for example working in a garden would be a HUGE pain in the butt for me now since my hands are down and the veins would bulge bad. Or playing golf is now a pain because my hands are down when I you swing the club and you get the veins bulging out. I'm not sure I can play golf anymore and enjoy it.

I have heard of the treatment "sclerotherapy" to treat veins, but not sure if that is more cosmetic or also provides some relief.

Old 04-07-2016, 10:00 PM

Grape seed | University of Maryland Medical Center

Old 04-08-2016, 08:04 AM

6,158 posts, read 6,721,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post
I'm a male in my mid 40's. About a year ago I started have issues with veins bulging in tops of hands and feet when they are not elevated above my heart. Never had any issues with this before 1 year ago. I also feel a lot of pressure in the veins when they bulge. It's a daily thing I have to deal with now all day every day. Pain in the butt and looks like crap. I know it's relatively common among older people as I now have observed. But I seem to have a severe case of it for my age, none of my friends, family or anyone I know or see my age seems to have it to this extent in their hands.

My primary care doctor and a vascular surgeon I visited seemed to think it was not an issue. But I felt they looked at it very superficially and just got me in and out of their office like an assembly line. I'm just wondering if there is more of a major issue here I might have to be worrying about? Or if there is anything I can do to make it better besides trying to keep my feet and hands elevated above my heart when I can. I thought maybe there would be someone here on CD that experienced similar conditions.

I also have very low body fat (I'm in very good physical shape), so the veins show a lot more prominently in my hands vs. someone who carries a lot more body fat.

I am thin and I have very bony hands so my veins show A LOT. However, I have never felt pressure in them at all. I guess your BP is okay, huh? I would probably push the doctors a little more.

Old 04-08-2016, 11:13 AM

You don't see veins on heavy weighted people thinking about this issue. I play bridge and see a lot of hands, heavy/fat people -- one can't even see veins. The thinner people, yes, veins show.

Old 04-12-2016, 06:07 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,215,766 times
It's called "old age"..your skin is looser, and the veins protrude. Hold your hands (and feet) in the air for a few seconds...and see what happens!

Nothing to worry about...it's all vanity after 40!

Old 04-12-2016, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
It's called "old age"..your skin is looser, and the veins protrude. Hold your hands (and feet) in the air for a few seconds...and see what happens!

Nothing to worry about...it's all vanity after 40!
Maybe your right its nothing to worry about. But mine seems a little more severe then that. It's not just protruding veins, it's uncomfortable too. It's not outright painful, but you feel the pressure in the veins and it is very annoying from the moment I wake up until I fall asleep. The feet don't bother me nearly as much, its the hands that are really a major pain. I can't type on my laptop for more then say 20 seconds then I have to raise my hands above my heart for a few seconds to relieve it. None of my friends or family have it to the level I have it. I do notice people say 65+ just from my general observation that have very heavy veins showing in their hands, but I do not notice anyone 45 that seem to have it to the extent that I have it. I notice that mine are sometimes worse then people 20 years older than me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness