U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2008, 11:34 AM
JnR JnR started this thread

1,709 posts, read 777,299 times

Advertisements

I am suffering from a very nasty cold, first fever and chills and now congestion in my sinuses and chest. I have heard about neti pots being good for sinuses, but it is ok to use as it for this purpose? Or is it more for people who have an ongoing sinus problem? Getting ready to send Hubby out to find one this afternoon, any info appreciated!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 11:36 AM

10,189 posts, read 24,460,221 times
One of my friends just recently recommended a neti for colds. She apparently used it and found relief.

I can't attest to it, myself. But, I suppose it is worth trying.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:14 PM

Thanks - I am about at the point where I will try anything. Thought I had the fever part beat, but here we go again! Boo Hoo, poor me, I hate being sick!!! (There, I feel better... a little)

Old 02-12-2008, 03:55 PM

7,754 posts, read 16,447,829 times
I agree with ontheroad...give it try. This article says that using a Neti pot can reduce symptoms of allergies, cold, flu and other nasal problems.

Something else to consider is taking Serrapeptase (http://www.serrapeptase.info/cond_sinusitis.htm - broken link) to improve general sinus health.

Old 02-12-2008, 04:18 PM

2,464 posts, read 5,685,266 times
I use it when I have any type of sinus issue. Cold, flu, allergies, or when I've been working in a dusty environment. It literally cleanses the sinuses using salt water so you don't get the stinging/drowning sensation like you would expect. When I have a sinus infection it is especially useful - I hate the sensation of having sinus drip (yuck)... this gets it out. If you add more salt packets it is supposed to "dry up" your sinuses temporarily so you can breath. I don't do well taking cold meds as I'm too spacey/tired so, this is a nice non-drug way to help relieve some of the cold symptoms.

Hope you feel better.

Old 02-12-2008, 07:00 PM

2,833 posts, read 9,602,470 times
OK...can you hear how excited I am about my netti-pot...I LOVE MY NETTI POT!!!!!
It is good for any sinus issue...it basically washes the nasal passages with saline water, non-iodized salt is fine to use, you don't need to buy special salt. Don't omit the salt, plain water burns. To use it correctly, turn your head almost horizontal and our in one nostril...the water should come directly out the other nostril. This won't happen if you are really congested, but keep trying. I have also found that since owning a netti-pot, I no longer get sinus infections. Salt is a natural bacteria fighter. They are wonderful!!

Old 02-12-2008, 11:58 PM

742 posts, read 2,608,581 times
Nasal rinse cups (neti pots) are indeed great for treating both chronic sinus conditions (allergies, hay fever, etc.) and symptoms brought on by colds/flu. As someone mentioned earlier, the more stuffed up you are, the harder it is to establish the "stream" from one nostril to the other, but a good blow from each nostril beforehand usually aids this. Also, when you are done treating each side, you'll want to blow your nose well to clear everything out (as opposed to sniffling/sucking the excess moisture back up into your nose).

Regular use of a neti pot can actually help prevent the onset (or greatly reduce the impact) of a head cold/sinus condition. The sinuses are a natural collection point for all the "stuff" floating around in the air.

My experience with these little Ayurvedic devices stems from my in-depth knowledge with a local company that happens to sell them. A lot of them.

Chap

Old 02-13-2008, 09:41 AM

Thanks everyone! Hubby went out to find one yesterday, thought he had, but it turned out to be a box of 'salt packets' to use with a neti pot. Boo! We live a ways out of town so I didn't feel like torturing him with another drive in yesterday, but he will go in again today and see if he can find one. He also picked up some Mucinex for me and that has greatly helped with the chest congestion and coughing. Also, rubbing Vicks Vaporub on the bottom of my feet and wearing socks to bed has greatly reduced the number of times I wake up coughing. Learning all kinds of new stuff!!!

I also have spring allergies and hate to use any OTC meds as they make me feel worse than the allergies, so am looking forward to seeing if the neti pot will help with that.

Anyway, thanks again for all your input!

Old 02-13-2008, 03:07 PM

893 posts, read 385,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE PA! View Post
OK...can you hear how excited I am about my netti-pot...I LOVE MY NETTI POT!!!!!
It is good for any sinus issue...it basically washes the nasal passages with saline water, non-iodized salt is fine to use, you don't need to buy special salt. Don't omit the salt, plain water burns. To use it correctly, turn your head almost horizontal and our in one nostril...the water should come directly out the other nostril. This won't happen if you are really congested, but keep trying. I have also found that since owning a netti-pot, I no longer get sinus infections. Salt is a natural bacteria fighter. They are wonderful!!
Just a question. I just bought one for my 21 year old daughter because she has always had allergies and sinus headaches. She used it the first time and said she had to blow and blow for like an hour after using it, is this normal that she would have so much crud coming out?

Old 03-13-2008, 08:34 PM

13,483 posts, read 29,425,055 times
I know this thread is a month old, but I tried the neti pot for the first time today. I was worried using it would feel like drowning, but it really wasn't bad at all. I did have some water come out of my mouth, but the salty taste only lasts for about an hour or so. This thing really works to clean out the sinuses!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness