U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2008, 11:47 AM

28,227 posts, read 19,208,307 times

Advertisements

Now as women we sometimes get these-urinary tract infections-and deal with them.

My husband started one yesterday and you'd swear he's in labor!!

Just came from the doctor, his white count in urinanalysis was high and he's on antibiotics.

This is the first time I've heard of male UTI's-anyone else?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 12:00 PM

29 posts, read 55,578 times
Default UTIs

Hi

Yep-know a male who had two UTI's and both times had antibiotics for them. It does seem to be more common for us ladies though

Old 02-12-2008, 12:16 PM

1,363 posts, read 5,341,204 times
Tom Hanks had one in The Green Mile

Old 02-12-2008, 12:21 PM

4,730 posts, read 17,493,963 times
I am male and get them sometimes. Cranberry juice helps. Even get a yeast infection every couple of years (AZO is good for that).

Old 02-12-2008, 12:25 PM

28,227 posts, read 19,208,307 times
Thanx all-got the cranberry juice and antibiotics-hopefully they work quickly! They just called him back for another urine sample that they want to test further.

Old 02-12-2008, 07:21 PM

40 posts, read 282,953 times
Should a person use cranberry juice or can they just buy a cranberry supplement? Does anyone know how fast it works?

Old 02-12-2008, 08:05 PM

2,238 posts, read 8,695,129 times
The very best thing to prevent UTIs is to make sure you get up and go pee after sex, every time without fail. I used to get them all the time when I was young. Once my doctor told me to do that, I followed it religiously and I haven't had one for 25 years.

Old 02-13-2008, 10:07 AM

8,668 posts, read 19,912,286 times
My husband used to get them fairly frequently. They finally wanted him to do a cystoscopy. It revealed that the neck of his bladder was a little bit more curved than normal or something like that. They said that was why he was prone to them. Since then he has taken a prescription drug called Baclofen which is a muscle relaxer (apparently relaxed the bladder area) and that has helped immensely.

Old 02-13-2008, 10:09 AM

1,917 posts, read 4,224,265 times
Hope he feels better soon....and it's not kidney stones...that pain will kill ya!

Old 02-13-2008, 11:29 AM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 4,738,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
Now as women we sometimes get these-urinary tract infections-and deal with them.

My husband started one yesterday and you'd swear he's in labor!!

Just came from the doctor, his white count in urinanalysis was high and he's on antibiotics.

This is the first time I've heard of male UTI's-anyone else?
Both genders are susceptible to UTIs. Consider that a UTI occurs when the offending organism (bacteria, yeast) works it's way from the outside end of the urethra through the tube connecting to the bladder (the ureter) to create growth in the bladder (cystitis) or higher up in the kidneys.

There are several reasons that females are more susceptible to UTIs. The primary reason is that the ureter is shorter in the female, which means the bacteria has less distance to travel to get to the bladder. The longer passageway in the male makes it more difficult for the bacteria to get in.
Males that are more susceptible than other males usually have some anatomical abnormality. For example, one poster mentioned a bladder opening that was more curved, thus allowing the bacteria an easier entrance. Ureteric length may vary with many factors such as height and ethnicity. Other factors such as uretero-reflux may increase the risk of UTIs. Therefore, men with shorter ureters may not be as susceptible than women, but are more susceptible than the average man.

The other key factor in explaining a higher frequency of UTIs in women is hygiene. After defecating women should always wipe from front to back.
If cleaning the area is not complete, there is a significant risk of a UTI with coliform bacteria (E. coli).

Several other posters make good points: urinating after sex flushes the ureters of bacteria potentially moving up toward the bladder. Also, cranberry juice acidifies the urine. It acts quickly, and although it helps prevent UTIs and assists in clearing them, once there is a UTI, you may not be able to eradicate it solely with cranberry juice. It works by reducing the pH (acidity) of the urine making it more difficult for the bacteria to grow. You may need an antibiotic because you may not be able to get the pH low enough to kill all of a particular strain of bacteria. It also will not kill yeast.

I hope this helps address the concerns of the OP.

PS Men may experience more pain with a UTI because a longer ureter means more nerve endings to pass when expelling the contaminated urine.
On the other hand we whine more about any thing that's wrong in that geography.

PPS Forgive me for this one. Women would not have UTIs as frequently if God had not located a recreational area so close to a sewage treatment plant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness