U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 04:56 PM

6,112 posts, read 10,169,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
You don't need to eat "sugar" (white cane sugar, HFCS, beet sugar) in order to gain weight or develop diabetes. I knew a fellow who ate 4 cups of "natural" rice daily, weighed over 400 lbs, and was diabetic by age 40.

Some of my own relatives developed diabetes and became very much overweight, just by eating potatoes, bread, pasta, and cereals...and no dessert.
Four cups daily! I get bloated on one cup.

I wouldn't go on a crusade against carbohydrates either, they have been a staple of the human diet for some 10,000 years and there is a reason why humans went past the paleo diet. Personally I've tried the paleo, became miserable, and so stick with a carb-based diet, along with mainly vegetables, legumes, some fruit, and a little fish, can't complain. Yes, I know most wheat products in the US are refined and re-enriched, but there are ways around that too if it really bothers.

In my view, the key is mathematical, everything in moderation and if you want to lose weight calories in minus calories out (including exercise).

Anyway, to the OP, I gave up sugar in coffee about three years ago, gave up most yogurts too, never drink cow's milk (best for cows' babies, not humans), have cut down on fruit juices, and, yes, carefully look at all labels for added artificial sugar in all products (like peanut butter, for example).

Last edited by bale002; 04-13-2016 at 05:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2016, 06:33 PM

14,790 posts, read 13,499,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
No it isn't and no it doesn't.

Each of those sugars are different and your body metabolizes them differently.
yep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
Can someone please answer this question simply and succinctly?

Should people freak out and avoid apples, bananas and oranges because of their "sugars"?? To me, it seems ridonkulous to do so. It irks me to no end when a fat person says, I avoid fruit because it has sugars. Well, if you had been eating fruit all this time instead of donuts, pies and cookies, maybe you wouldn't be so fat as to now have to state that you're being all strict and are now afraid of God's sugars!!

I'm a bit cranky today, sorry!
Simply? No.

And, I've never heard a fat person say they avoid fruit because of their sugars. Weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Wow; I eat candy because it tastes good and makes me happy... We all gotta go sometime? Some people seem determined to eliminate every pleasure from life just to live a few years longer in the nursing home...
There is nothing wrong with the occasional 'candy' bar, or birthday cake. When sugar is added to almost all processed foods, breads, sweetened yoghurts, and "lite" foods, people will go over the recommended intake quite easily. One can stop eating "lite" foods, and stop adding sugar to hot drinks as a pretty easy step to reduce sugar intake.

Old 04-13-2016, 07:49 PM

2,702 posts, read 5,162,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylan_505 View Post
Has anyone else cut out all sugars from their diet except the sugars found it fruits, vegetables and dairy?
For the last 4.5 weeks, I've been eating very little added sugar. I probably get less than 10 grams of added sugar per day, and I think was was getting upwards of 150 grams/day before. I'm not following any particular diet, but I suppose it most closely resembles the Mediterranean diet. I'm eating veggies (lots of leafy greens, especially), nuts & seeds (including quinoa), beans and lentils, fish and chicken, healthy oils (coconut, olive, and grapeseed primarily), olives (my favorite food!), cheese, eggs, occasionally beef, and herbs like basil, parsley, mint. I do eat fruit, but not every day. (I am pre-diabetic, and my doctor advised me to limit my fruit consumption and to choose low-sugar fruits -- like strawberries -- over high-sugar fruits -- like apples.)

In order to cut out the sugar, I've had to cut out fast food, junk food, packaged food, processed food, and most prepared food. Which means that what I eat is mostly whole foods that I prepare myself. (The main exceptions are cheese and store-bought vinaigrette.) I also have not had any alcohol. But regardless, my primary objective has been (and is) to cut out added sugar.

At the end of the 3rd week of eating this way, I went for my annual physical and labs. The labs confirmed that I had some rather serious conditions brewing -- pre-hypertension, pre-diabetes, etc. -- but the labs also astonished me with one thing: both my total cholesterol and my LDL had dropped by more than 50 points each from last year's numbers. I started the low-sugar programme on March 13, and I know what my diet was like on March 12 and all the days and weeks leading up to that. Obviously it's only anecdotal evidence to say that my cholesterol dropped because of the sugar -- it likely had as much or more to do with cutting out all the fast/processed/junk food -- but regardless, my body is responding well (and quickly) to the improved eating.

Again, I realize it's all cumulative -- the effects of what I'm now eating AND the effects of what I am no longer eating -- but I've noticed tons of changes (in addition to what the bloodwork revealed): I've lost 4 inches (of bloat) off my waistline, my feet and ankles are less swollen, my skin is no longer dry and flaky, I'm not shedding as much hair, I'm not as stiff in the body, I have more energy (physical and mental), I'm happier, I think I'm less forgetful, and I've lost 16 pounds.

My doc is very happy and we scheduled a follow-up appointment in 6 months for more bloodwork. Insurance probably won't cover it, but I'll pay for it out of my HSA. I'm hoping I'll see good news regarding my pre-diabetes, thyroid, and liver enzymes.

Old 04-13-2016, 08:03 PM

4,632 posts, read 10,521,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I prefer to stop the candy and have a healthier mouth etc until my end. I've done too much candy all my life. I don't miss it for a second. Once one realizes the damage....it's easy to let it go. Cancer cells love sugar environment.
No they don't....

Another myth propagated by the "alternative crowd"

There is also no "sugar environment" formed by eating sugar, there is also no acid/alkaline "environment" related to diet...another myth

Old 04-13-2016, 08:24 PM

18,970 posts, read 6,203,272 times
Default no need for candy

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
To each his own, but I'd rather enjoy life while I'm here. We'll none of us get out of this alive, no matter what we do.
I don't need candy to enjoy what's left of my life. Again we all make our choices.

Old 04-13-2016, 09:28 PM

13,451 posts, read 24,253,264 times
Sugar is sugar and none of it is good. And the sugar in fruit is not good either. You will never be able to get rid of sugar completely. The only things you could eat would be meat and eggs.

Old 04-13-2016, 09:48 PM

1,288 posts, read 994,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylan_505 View Post
Has anyone else cut out all sugars from their diet except the sugars found it fruits, vegetables and dairy?

I got my blood work results recently and found my cholesterol and triglycerides were a little too high. I went over my usual diet and found I was consuming way too much sugar. Two teaspoons in both my mornings coffees, a tablespoon in my oatmeal, bread and ketchup with my lunch and then another two teaspoons in my tea and a treat after dinner! I think I was having around 80-100g of sugar a day!

Since the weekend I have cut back to zero sugar in my coffee in the morning and at night I have only one teaspoon in my tea and every second night I have a few blocks of dark chocolate. So i'm trying to stick to about 12-15g of added sugar a day.

Is this a reasonable amount or should I cut it out all together? I know it's probably best to cut it all out but I do really enjoy have a few blocks of chocolate every now and then.

Once when I felt my sugar cravings were getting the best of me, I went on a 3-day juice cleanse. Afterwards, my cravings totally disappeared for about 3 weeks, but unfortunately came back. Now, I'm looking for another solution. I heard probiotics help with sugar addiction too. I need to do something about this sugar problem tho. This morning before work, I stopped in to buy my lunch. Then it hit me! I was walking around the grocery store fiending for a glazed donut, felt like a crackhead.

Old 04-13-2016, 09:52 PM

13,451 posts, read 24,253,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovely40 View Post
Once when I felt my sugar cravings were getting the best of me, I went on a 3-day juice cleanse. Afterwards, my cravings totally disappeared for about 3 weeks, but unfortunately came back. Now, I'm looking for another solution. I heard probiotics help with sugar addiction too. I need to do something about this sugar problem tho. This morning before work, I stopped in to buy my lunch. Then it hit me! I was walking around the grocery store fiending for a glazed donut, felt like a crackhead.
Juice is loaded with sugar. If you really want get the sugar carb craze out of your system do meat and eggs for 3 or 4 days.

12 oz of orange juice has 36gr of sugar. A can of Coke, also 12 oz, has 35 gr sugar. Juice cleanse... You might as well just get out the sugar bowl and a spoon!

Old 04-13-2016, 11:29 PM

18,970 posts, read 6,203,272 times
I've been taking probiotics for years, don't have sugar cravings. Really don't crave any foods. My sister has declined so terribly with MS and as far as I know she did not cut or reduce sugar/carbs...she had an awful sugar addiction. She was big on the store bought OJ's...she and I just didn't think alike.

Old 04-14-2016, 12:13 AM

22,777 posts, read 21,833,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Juice is loaded with sugar. If you really want get the sugar carb craze out of your system do meat and eggs for 3 or 4 days.

12 oz of orange juice has 36gr of sugar. A can of Coke, also 12 oz, has 35 gr sugar. Juice cleanse... You might as well just get out the sugar bowl and a spoon!
A tea and green juice fast isn't bad. Pick your teas and greens carefully.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness