U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 01:27 AM

8,401 posts, read 9,553,337 times

Advertisements

I don't use table sugar anymore. I use honey. Yummy!

I use it in my tea and on my oatmeal. You get use to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2016, 06:03 AM

4,787 posts, read 4,671,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylan_505 View Post
Has anyone else cut out all sugars from their diet except the sugars found it fruits, vegetables and dairy?

I got my blood work results recently and found my cholesterol and triglycerides were a little too high. I went over my usual diet and found I was consuming way too much sugar. Two teaspoons in both my mornings coffees, a tablespoon in my oatmeal, bread and ketchup with my lunch and then another two teaspoons in my tea and a treat after dinner! I think I was having around 80-100g of sugar a day!

Since the weekend I have cut back to zero sugar in my coffee in the morning and at night I have only one teaspoon in my tea and every second night I have a few blocks of dark chocolate. So i'm trying to stick to about 12-15g of added sugar a day.

Is this a reasonable amount or should I cut it out all together? I know it's probably best to cut it all out but I do really enjoy have a few blocks of chocolate every now and then.
Based on what you eat I must eat a lot more sugar than you. And I would never cut out anything completely (unless I had to due to an allergy or adverse reaction) because I would probably crave and then binge.

What is high?

I am surprised you focused on sugar and not saturated fats.

My grandmother was extremely underweight and hardly ate and she still had insane cholesterol. Good genes, I guess.

Old 04-14-2016, 06:11 AM

7,091 posts, read 3,788,271 times
I personally believe most diseases -- including cancer -- have a strong genetic component. There are too many cases of people doing everything "wrong" and living to be 100 and, conversely, people denying themselves culinary pleasures and exercising like fiends and succumbing in their 40s. I think humans, and American humans in particular, like to delude themselves that they have more control over their fates than, in fact, they really do...

Old 04-14-2016, 06:51 AM

6,805 posts, read 3,280,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
I don't use table sugar anymore. I use honey.
Which is pretty much the same thing.

Old 04-14-2016, 08:36 AM

251 posts, read 148,520 times
I still enjoy a good chocolate bar and ice cream at times but I've pretty much cut out the more easily avoidable sugars (juices, in coffee, candy, soda).

I find now that if I eat a lot of sugar I don't feel so good.

If any likes John Oliver, he did a segment on sugar: https://youtu.be/MepXBJjsNxs

Old 04-14-2016, 09:34 AM

13,042 posts, read 7,205,994 times
I'm a total sugar junkie that has tried and failed to beat the addiction for decades. I'm two weeks into a carb free sugar free diet and it's been hell. I've had a couple of small cheats to take the edge off but nothing serious.

I can't believe how much better I feel without it in my life. My clothes are fitting better and I don't have the stomach issues I had on a daily basis now.

I know how bad sugar is for you but it was my mother and secret lover for decades. Breaking that self destructive pattern is difficult. It's been with me since childhood.

I do know that I'm only a few months away from another birthday with a zero in it and I'm not going into that decade unhealthy.

After working in health care for 25 years and knowing so many people from ever hospital in the area makes me want to stay healthy and not have to worry about who's going to see my cheeky monkeys after my bypass surgery. That and hospitals are scary places. I hope to never see another one again in my life time.

Oh but that piece of cake piled high with butter cream frosting...........

Old 04-14-2016, 09:36 AM

8,545 posts, read 5,268,314 times
Quote:
Has anyone else cut out all sugars from their diet except the sugars found it fruits, vegetables and dairy?

I got my blood work results recently and found my cholesterol and triglycerides were a little too high. I went over my usual diet and found I was consuming way too much sugar. Two teaspoons in both my mornings coffees, a tablespoon in my oatmeal, bread and ketchup with my lunch and then another two teaspoons in my tea and a treat after dinner! I think I was having around 80-100g of sugar a day!

Since the weekend I have cut back to zero sugar in my coffee in the morning and at night I have only one teaspoon in my tea and every second night I have a few blocks of dark chocolate. So i'm trying to stick to about 12-15g of added sugar a day.

Is this a reasonable amount or should I cut it out all together? I know it's probably best to cut it all out but I do really enjoy have a few blocks of chocolate every now and then.

This sounds like a very reasonable approach. You've cut way back without leading to feeling deprived. It seems like a good plan.

Old 04-14-2016, 04:43 PM

3,313 posts, read 3,315,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
No they don't....

Another myth propagated by the "alternative crowd"

There is also no "sugar environment" formed by eating sugar, there is also no acid/alkaline "environment" related to diet...another myth
Yeah I think if cancer loved sugar, I'd be dead by now.

Old 04-14-2016, 06:04 PM

6,805 posts, read 3,280,786 times
Sugar has been shown to promote tumor growth.

Old 04-14-2016, 06:30 PM

342 posts, read 903,049 times
Quote:

I initially slowly tried reducing sugar from my diet for weight loss. However within few days I started feeling great. I use to have sweet with breakfast, lunch and dinner and was feeling sleepy after every meal. Reducing sugar helped my with sleep too and now I don't feel sleepy until bed time.

To reduce it I use to have it in my morning tea/coffee and then for the entire day I had to have anything sweet that would be naturally sweet items like fruits and natural sweetness in dairy and nuts. Slowly I started including 2 banana's daily in my diet and now I don't crave for any desserts daily. I have 1 banana in morning within 30 mins of waking up or after my early morning breakfast and one in a green smoothie before lunch or during lunch. You can try it with any kind of sweet fruits you like. I do eat 1-2 other kind of fruits too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness