U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 12:19 PM

34,556 posts, read 42,724,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Cookies - another joke?
I am totally serious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2016, 12:26 PM

18,807 posts, read 6,149,026 times
A dentist hands out sugar, destroys all the work they've done. Wouldn't be my dentist.

Old 04-22-2016, 02:31 PM

34,556 posts, read 42,724,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
A dentist hands out sugar, destroys all the work they've done. Wouldn't be my dentist.
That is silly. People who take care of their teeth can eat anything they want.

Old 04-22-2016, 02:33 PM

18,807 posts, read 6,149,026 times
Many don't take good care and end up paying dentists to help repair the damage. I would not have much respect for a doc/dentist who gave out sweets to their patients. We think differently on this one.

Old 04-22-2016, 03:15 PM

27,492 posts, read 17,642,239 times
I thought baked goods were the worst. The bread get up in your teeth and stays, sugar dissolves.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 05-04-2016, 01:49 PM

6 posts, read 2,581 times
You have asked a question if anyone has cut out sugars from their diet. I have cut out as much artificial and table sugars as I knowingly can. The natural sugars in fruits, vegetables, and milk have no known adversarial effects to the body from what I have researched. Glucose, a natural sugar, is termed as the {energy of life} and the cells need it to function but you really want to get it from natural foods that also contain fiber. Because, fiber helps with digestion, feeds the bacteria in your intestines, helps slow down the absorption process so nutrients, ie sugars, do not overwhelm the body/liver, and helps reduce the amount of sugar consumed at one time. When eating an orange, for example, there is more fiber and other nutrients in it then natural sugars when compared to say an identically sized chocolate chip cookie. Just to make a comparison in size. Also not all sugars are good for the body just like not any type of fuel is good for every engine. It's not recommended to use regular unleaded car gasoline in a dragster even though they both require fuel to operate their combustion engines. Check out a video on YouTube that I watched called {sugar: the bitter truth}. It was done by a university professor and it is quite eye opening regarding the effects of sugar, especially artificial sugars, on the body and its fat cells. I also read that a person should keep their {added} sugar level intake at 25 grams or below per day. Definitely stay away from manmade sugars in say sodas, fruit juices and the like. That 25 grams does {not} include natural sugar intake from fruits, vegetables, and milk. There is so much artificial sugars being added to processed foods that it is tough to regulate your sugar input unless you basically make everything from scratch (you know what is in the ingredients). Hope this helps.

Last edited by SocialBestieForever; 05-04-2016 at 01:50 PM.. Reason: dylans name at top messed up

Old 05-04-2016, 02:17 PM

7,082 posts, read 3,783,727 times
Sugar makes me happy. Life is too short. You won't get out of it alive either way.

Old 05-04-2016, 03:54 PM

6 posts, read 2,581 times
LOL I use to say the same thing and really understand your comment. Now I don't eat sugar if I can help it. I am much happier, healthier, and full of energy. Plus all the aches/pains I had and medications for chronic issues I was on are all gone.

Old 06-16-2016, 09:38 PM

2,700 posts, read 5,154,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybergin View Post
For the last 4.5 weeks, I've been eating very little added sugar....
Just ended my third month of cutting my added sugar way back and avoiding processed foods. My cumulative weight loss is 33 pounds. I've gone down 2-3 sizes (depending on what it is and how I want it to fit on me). I always joke that I lose weight from the toenails up and the hairline down, so the weight loss is especially noticeable in my face...and my hands and feet! (Shoes are loose; I can't wear most of my statement/fashion rings.) But I HAVE also lost about 7 inches out of my waist, and clearly if I'm down 2 sizes, it's coming out of my torso and lower body as well.

I lost 30 pounds in the first two months, but then my body decided to take a break for a month. It only recently started losing weight again. I didn't stress about the plateau and just kept on with life as normal -- no extra exercise or food-restrictions to try to bust the plateau.

I think the big change for me -- and why this is working -- has been my mindset. I am not on a diet, and I don't think of myself as trying to lose weight. I mean...it's true that I am deliberately doing things that are resulting in weight loss -- e.g., avoiding added sugar and processed foods -- but losing weight is not my primary objective. My primary objective is becoming healthy and reversing some of my health conditions and pre-disease states, and I've come to believe that weight loss may be a side effect of getting healthy and not the other way around. Because my mindset is not on losing weight, I'm not always thinking of food (the way I have been in the past when I've been "on a diet"), so psychologically, this has been easy. And that has made it PHYSICALLY easy. I don't resent my salads; I actually enjoy them!

I continue to watch videos and read about the effects of sugar on the body. Whether the science is true or not will be revealed in time, but anecdotally at least, based on my experience, I definitely believe that excessive sugar -- far in excess of the recommended 25 grams for adult women, I mean -- is detrimental to my health and bad for my body. What's more, this low-added-sugar approach to eating is something I can live with for the rest of my life.

(I don't want to suggest that I never eat sugar. I probably get about 10-15 grams per day on a regular basis, with the occasional splurge if I'm out at dinner with friends, etc. But they say the average consumption is around 150 grams per day, and I think I was easily at that number, if not higher. So for me, this is a really drastic change.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness