U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 02:50 PM

153 posts, read 105,178 times

Advertisements

Has anyone else cut out all sugars from their diet except the sugars found it fruits, vegetables and dairy?

I got my blood work results recently and found my cholesterol and triglycerides were a little too high. I went over my usual diet and found I was consuming way too much sugar. Two teaspoons in both my mornings coffees, a tablespoon in my oatmeal, bread and ketchup with my lunch and then another two teaspoons in my tea and a treat after dinner! I think I was having around 80-100g of sugar a day!

Since the weekend I have cut back to zero sugar in my coffee in the morning and at night I have only one teaspoon in my tea and every second night I have a few blocks of dark chocolate. So i'm trying to stick to about 12-15g of added sugar a day.

Is this a reasonable amount or should I cut it out all together? I know it's probably best to cut it all out but I do really enjoy have a few blocks of chocolate every now and then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2016, 04:44 PM

18,953 posts, read 6,193,789 times
Sugar has no value, but it's sweet, people love it, it elevates blood sugar, causes tooth decay, it's addicting, ....the list is long. You decide for yourself, as I FINALLY see it, less is best in the sugar world. I did a lifetime of too much sugar and now what's left of my life I choose to steer really clear as best I can resist. I certainly don't need more health issues like diabetes....

Sugar is in almost everything, just eating some celery/peanut butter snack and very low sugar in
the PB. Read labels and work on staying away from the obvious high sugar stuff,

Last edited by jaminhealth; 04-12-2016 at 05:01 PM..

Old 04-12-2016, 07:02 PM

5,120 posts, read 12,743,042 times
Sugar is not bad, in MODERATION....it just doesn't have much nutritional value. There's no real reason to avoid it, unless you ONLY eat sugary stuff...
Sugars are carbs...they are in almost everything, but meats! If you're healthy, a moderate amount of sugar won't hurt you at all..

Old 04-12-2016, 07:08 PM

14,790 posts, read 13,499,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
Sugar is not bad, in MODERATION....it just doesn't have much nutritional value. There's no real reason to avoid it, unless you ONLY eat sugary stuff...
Sugars are carbs...they are in almost everything, but meats! If you're healthy, a moderate amount of sugar won't hurt you at all..
I believe the OP is talking about refined sugar, not sugar found naturally fruits etc. Refined sugar, or sugar being added to coffee and tea, has zero nutritional value and can easily be removed from ones diet

OP: 12-15g a day is a lot better than what you were doing. Try to stick to that for a little while

Old 04-12-2016, 07:11 PM

18,953 posts, read 6,193,789 times
Juices and store bought OJ is high in sugars...better to eat an orange or if one drinks juices buy the lowest sugar and dilute with clean water...less sugar and fruit taste. Eating too many sugars are not that great either...stick with low glycemic fruits.

Old 04-12-2016, 07:37 PM

22,767 posts, read 21,823,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylan_505 View Post
Has anyone else cut out all sugars from their diet except the sugars found it fruits, vegetables and dairy?
Absolutely not, but I did get rid of many of the processed foods in my diet. I don't sweeten coffee or tea, gave up soda years ago, rarely eat white bread, white rice or pasta and have added quite a bit of fiber to my diet. After a small but balanced meal, I'll allow myself a little sugar thrill. I love my treats, so if I eat all of my broccoli, I get two bites of cheesecake or whatever. As long as most of your diet consists of healthy, whole foods, you're allowed to "cheat" once in a while. At least I am.

Old 04-12-2016, 09:37 PM

19,645 posts, read 53,581,730 times
Count the carbs in foods. It includes sugars and is easier to work with as a high carb load is bad. Aim for less than 100 grams per day.

Old 04-12-2016, 10:39 PM

4,860 posts, read 3,724,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylan_505 View Post

I got my blood work results recently and found my cholesterol and triglycerides were a little too high. I went over my usual diet and found I was consuming way too much sugar. Two teaspoons in both my mornings coffees, a tablespoon in my oatmeal, bread and ketchup with my lunch and then another two teaspoons in my tea and a treat after dinner! I think I was having around 80-100g of sugar a day!

Since the weekend I have cut back to zero sugar in my coffee in the morning and at night I have only one teaspoon in my tea and every second night I have a few blocks of dark chocolate. So i'm trying to stick to about 12-15g of added sugar a day.

Is this a reasonable amount or should I cut it out all together? I know it's probably best to cut it all out but I do really enjoy have a few blocks of chocolate every now and then.
I do this. I am currently on about 20-30 g of carbs a day. If something contains added sugar, I do not eat it. I am also currently eating mainly protein (meat, cheese, nuts), berries (raspberries, strawberries, blackberries), green veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, peppers, celery, brussell sprouts, romaine lettuce), etc. I feel great!

Old 04-13-2016, 05:47 AM

8,325 posts, read 17,695,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
I believe the OP is talking about refined sugar, not sugar found naturally fruits etc. Refined sugar, or sugar being added to coffee and tea, has zero nutritional value and can easily be removed from ones diet

OP: 12-15g a day is a lot better than what you were doing. Try to stick to that for a little while

Sugar is sugar..doesn't matter if it's glucose, fructose, lactose or sucrose...if it's ends I 'ose' it's sugar and your body reacts the same way.

It's easy to limit white refined table sugar from your diet...just don't buy/use it. Get rid of the ketchup...it's loaded with sugar.

Fruit is a better choice, but you can't eat an unlimited amount of fruit and expect your blood sugars to be perfect. It's all about moderation and educating yourself about the sugar contents in fruits, berries and melon.

Old 04-13-2016, 10:31 AM

13,756 posts, read 18,420,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Sugar is sugar..doesn't matter if it's glucose, fructose, lactose or sucrose...if it's ends I 'ose' it's sugar and your body reacts the same way.
Not quite true (see: sucralose).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness