U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2016, 09:38 PM

16,472 posts, read 20,002,503 times

Advertisements

In our Health advice column in the paper today there was a interesting article on the importance of chewing.

In the early 1900's, folks were advised to chew each mouthful 100 times, which the Dr.'s who wrote this article thought a bit too much. Sheesh! Who on earth has the time for that!!! By doing that, the rest of your food on the plate would turn cold? Now I can see it if it's a tough cut of beef, but after 20-30 chews, I'd probably end up swallowing the rest!

"Unfortunately, chewing is a forgotten skill these days, since so much of our food is ultra-soft and processed. Did you know that chimps spend half their waking hours chewing unprocessed food? And some research indicates that lack of chewing may contribute to the epidemic of expanding waistlines."

"Chewing is the first stage of your digestion. It stimulates saliva secretion; saliva then provides digestive enzymes that help make nutrients more bioaccessible for your gut. Chewing also starts the activation of leptin, the now-I'm full hormone that regulates the amount of food you eat."

Advice, from these Dr.'s, is chew on more unprocessed food, fresh veggies, fruits, whole grains which demand more chewing to release their nutrients and flavor. And take time to notice flavors, textures, smells and how food makes you feel.

Chimps spending half their waking hours chewing food? Perhaps I'll try that when I retire and I have lots and lots of time on my hand!

So how much time do you spend chewing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2016, 12:30 AM

25,631 posts, read 29,109,412 times
My problem is I like to chew "too much" followed by "too much" swallowing.

Old 04-13-2016, 04:36 AM

69,278 posts, read 79,447,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
In our Health advice column in the paper today there was a interesting article on the importance of chewing.

In the early 1900's, folks were advised to chew each mouthful 100 times, which the Dr.'s who wrote this article thought a bit too much. Sheesh! Who on earth has the time for that!!! By doing that, the rest of your food on the plate would turn cold? Now I can see it if it's a tough cut of beef, but after 20-30 chews, I'd probably end up swallowing the rest!

"Unfortunately, chewing is a forgotten skill these days, since so much of our food is ultra-soft and processed. Did you know that chimps spend half their waking hours chewing unprocessed food? And some research indicates that lack of chewing may contribute to the epidemic of expanding waistlines."

"Chewing is the first stage of your digestion. It stimulates saliva secretion; saliva then provides digestive enzymes that help make nutrients more bioaccessible for your gut. Chewing also starts the activation of leptin, the now-I'm full hormone that regulates the amount of food you eat."

Advice, from these Dr.'s, is chew on more unprocessed food, fresh veggies, fruits, whole grains which demand more chewing to release their nutrients and flavor. And take time to notice flavors, textures, smells and how food makes you feel.

Chimps spending half their waking hours chewing food? Perhaps I'll try that when I retire and I have lots and lots of time on my hand!

So how much time do you spend chewing?
Other than possibly choking because we don't crew a tough bite of food often enough, I am really not sure if there is any health benefits to chewing. We were taught, in the mid 1900s to chew 32 times each bite. Until you mentioned it today, I haven't heard a think about this for maybe 50 years. Who knows but I am not going to worry about it. Now taking the time to notice flavors: that I can relate to and agree with.

Old 04-13-2016, 01:17 PM

14,933 posts, read 16,527,617 times
My grandparents were big advocates of chewing. I think we don't think while we eat end tend to only chew to the point where the food can get down, often with the aid of water or other drink.

To curb this, my grandma forbade me from drinking anything until I finished my plate.

Old 04-13-2016, 01:28 PM

4,022 posts, read 1,706,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Other than possibly choking because we don't crew a tough bite of food often enough, I am really not sure if there is any health benefits to chewing. We were taught, in the mid 1900s to chew 32 times each bite. Until you mentioned it today, I haven't heard a think about this for maybe 50 years. Who knows but I am not going to worry about it. Now taking the time to notice flavors: that I can relate to and agree with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
My grandparents were big advocates of chewing. I think we don't think while we eat end tend to only chew to the point where the food can get down, often with the aid of water or other drink.

To curb this, my grandma forbade me from drinking anything until I finished my plate.

The article was pretty clear, and it isn't hard to understand.

Chewing is invaluable.

The less chewed your food is when you swallow it, the harder it is for your body to digest it.
Some of it may not digest fully and will sit there rotting. That's obviously not good for you.

Notice that today, we have a bigger issue with indigestion as a society.

It is called inDIGESTION for a reason.
Your body is struggling to digest big chunks of food and it causes discomfort.

Yes, 100 times is absurd, but we really should teach ourselves to get back into the habit of chewing more than "just enough to get it down".

Old 04-13-2016, 04:35 PM

3,431 posts, read 2,751,065 times
That's pretty interesting. Maybe we have more of an instinct to actually scarf down food, but I guess it's a lot more civilized to take our time eating.

They have the right idea in southern Europe, I think. Long, leisurely meals. Enjoy the food, enjoy the company, enjoy the ambiance... don't just inhale everything on the plate.

Old 04-13-2016, 11:28 PM

22,706 posts, read 21,750,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post

I grew up hearing, "Chew your food well. Don't eat like a pig." Well, at Sunday dinner, my grandmother would tell me to chew my food well. At least once a week my mother would tell me to not not eat like a pig.

It was very difficult for me to learn how to eat quickly when I had short meal breaks while working. So much for chewing food.

Old 04-18-2016, 04:55 AM

69,278 posts, read 79,447,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I grew up hearing, "Chew your food well. Don't eat like a pig." Well, at Sunday dinner, my grandmother would tell me to chew my food well. At least once a week my mother would tell me to not not eat like a pig.

It was very difficult for me to learn how to eat quickly when I had short meal breaks while working. So much for chewing food.
We were always told, like you, don't eat like a pig and yet I never knew anyone who ate as fast as my husbands family. Now did they have more indigestion than my family? I have no idea. I do know my dad had heart burn all the time. Guess, I am just a little skeptical when it comes to some of these studies or whatever one wants to call them. I do like to see people take time to enjoy what they are eating. I don't know if this means chewing every bite even 30 times? I wonder about mashed potatoes, I guess next time we have them I will count and make sure I chew each bite 30 or more time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness