U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 12:21 AM

18,999 posts, read 8,914,315 times
I'm really appreciating all of your posts! It's one thing to read an article on the web, but so much better to hear from people who have been through it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2016, 01:47 AM

741 posts, read 1,484,914 times
Have had both gall stones and kidney stones and got rid of them by natural methods.

Google liver flush. There is safe, natural, inexpensive methods to get rid of stones. But Americans are so dependent on modern medicine drive to make money off of you and cut you open.

Old 04-14-2016, 02:13 AM

8,401 posts, read 9,560,582 times
My mom has gallstones the size of golfballs and didn't ever get surgery. Gallstone attacks suck but they do end after a while. Eat a low fat diet, it's good for you anyway. My mom found what food triggered hers and wouldn't eat it that often. No cakes, large amounts of meat or donuts. One stone is a cake walk compared to her. lol

She stuck with small amounts of lean meat, veggies, and wheat bread. She felt great and rarely had an attack again. It actually ended up really changing her eating habits for the better. She has never suffered from any of those food related illnesses. No heart disease, no diabetic issues, no cancers.

I hear from above the surgery isn't that bad but you might get another stone. My aunt had her gallbladder out but then dropped a new stone straight from her liver into her ducked. She had to have it out emergency style. It would have been better to still have her gallbladder to catch it. She ended up having to still change her diet in the end. Some people are lucky and get it out, and go back to eating large steaks and potato's with no problems, some do not.

My mom couldn't handle the anesthetic well which is why she declined. She ended up eating so well that she's almost 90 and her body is still going strong, now her mind is a different story. lol

Anyway long winded advice, but what I mean to say is you do have time to wait if you want. They grow pretty slowly. They have plenty of good gallbladder surgeons in Phoenix, it's good business, so don't worry.

Old 04-14-2016, 08:54 AM

13,141 posts, read 17,686,977 times
Yes I remember my grand having them and she was always suffering until she had the idea to change her diet and she did and she had the surgery to get rid of the stones . However yep sometimes they do reappear . I feel for you and I think you should go ahead and put the house on the market and when you get in your new house get the surgery and be done with them and change your diet .

Old 04-14-2016, 11:19 AM

6,015 posts, read 2,708,559 times
My husband had the surgery several years ago. He had a few stones and also said his gallbladder was full of "sludge".

He waited rather than go ahead with surgery. He was having minor/moderate pain and attacks and just generally not feeling well more and more often.

Then about 4 months later he had a major attack, doubled over in pain, vomiting, etc. So we went into emergency.

By then he had an infection and the simple surgery turned into a week in the hospital. Couple days to clear up the infection, then they had to do a procedure down his throat to see if something was lodged in a duct because they couldn't see due to gallbladder now being so inflamed. More stress and delay. The actual surgery was easy, done lapro and easy recovery.

In hindsight, he probably would have been much better off scheduling the surgery as soon as he knew he would eventually need it. In the meantime, I would definitely stop eating fat and any other food you think is triggering.

Old 04-14-2016, 01:44 PM

6,455 posts, read 6,472,673 times
Diet will help but after a while even after eating plain yogurt or oatmeal I was still having pain a half hour after eating...and would last for six hours...just couldn't live like that...but if diet alone worked for me I would have gone that route!!!

Old 04-14-2016, 05:19 PM

3,431 posts, read 2,763,375 times
You can have serious gall bladder attacks for months before having surgery. Happened with me... I had several gall bladder attacks (including vomiting) before going to the ER and getting an ultrasound that confirmed many gallstones.

I think the surgery is actually elective. I'm not sure if someone can be admitted to the hospital on the basis of just a gall bladder attack... maybe.

If the doctor has suggested surgery, it's really not a big deal to have your gallbladder removed. It's outpatient day surgery, you usually get to leave the hospital later the same day. I had some discomfort for about a week. A lot less the second week after surgery. So I was off work for 2 weeks and that was it.

Old 08-22-2018, 11:36 AM

2 posts, read 604 times
Thank you all for sharing. Hope everything worked out, best of luck!

Old 08-22-2018, 04:10 PM

5,607 posts, read 4,169,956 times
I had one stone as well. A very small one. Unfortunately it traveled into the duct between the gallbladder and the pancreas. First I knew of it was when I went to the ER with abdominal pain and found out I had Pancreatitis. Once that resolved, I had my gallbladder out even though I never had a single gallbladder attack. Apparently doctors get very jazzed about the possibility of having Pancreatitis again. My recovery was very easy and quick.

Best of luck!

Old 08-23-2018, 01:18 AM

14,546 posts, read 11,526,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
My wife, mother, and sister have all had their gall bladders removed. My mother was in several days, but the others had fairly small incisions and went home after 1-2 days with modern methods. As in your title, it's a gamble, but in the cases I have seen, when it gets to that point you have to get it done fairly soon.
Mine were removed a few years ago and out the same day..Im reading here others symptoms and mine were nothing like bloating or stomach pain every other day, it came on fast and furious. and I sat here slumped over the computer in agony at the pain at my breastbone.. I tried to lie down to see if the pain would ease but nothing helped then it got so bad that when I called for an ambulance I could hardly talk to the operator.. I couldnt walk to open the door to the paramedics either. they knocked for ages before coming in on their own.. it was horrible and I thought it was a heart attack as I was sweating and in some much chest pain..... at hospital the scan showed tiny stones all over the gallbladder but it took five months to have the keyhole surgery.. which I found very worrying , just waiting on the next attack , as if I would have been outside the house I would have been doubled in two on the ground.........so gallstones must affect us all in different ways... I was overjoyed when I got the phone call from the hospital to ask if I could go in the next morning after they had a cancellation... and I could never imagine me being happy at the prospects of an operation but I was never so pleased to go into a hospital..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness