U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-13-2016, 12:43 PM
 
Location: Colorado Springs
18,997 posts, read 8,914,315 times
Reputation: 18351
At age 66 I am anxious to move from the elevations of Colorado Springs, Colorado (for health and personal reasons) to the lower elevations and better weather of Phoenix.

I've suffered through several delays since last August.

Now, just as I am ready to put the house on the market, I have begun having gall bladder issues. It's just one stone (confirmed by ultrasound), but the doctor says it's almost certainly the reason I am often having quite serious bloating, even to the point that when it happens I hate to even drink water. Bad belching sometimes.

Next week I have my follow-up doctor appointment.

Here's my question for those of you who have been through the gall bladder experience:

Should I just put the house on the market, taking the gamble that I won't have a serious gall bladder attack in the roughly 2 months that a move would take; or is the risk too great that I might end up in the hospital? Or, should I put the whole move on long-term hold?

Putting the house on the market will require a 10 day trip to Arizona to find a new house, then supervising the moving, providing for the safe transit of a somewhat delicate pet. Could I end up essentially homeless if the hospitalization ended up at a terrible time during the whole scenario of moving? And by the way, I am now single, so I will be doing the move alone (except for the moving company).

So if you've been through the gall bladder routine...what's your advice? Am I just worrying too much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-13-2016, 01:52 PM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
13,212 posts, read 10,613,277 times
Reputation: 9386
I am curious; I have been taking potassium citrate for about ten years for kidney stones. I originally started off with the calcium oxalate stones and eventually ended up with uric acid stones or a combination of both. Before I started the potassium citrate I had both lithotripsy and the other operation to grab them with the wire basket (I hated that one). Originally I took four 1050 milligram tablets a day and have cut back to some days I don't take any. I have not had any major issues with stones since I started the medication - sometimes I 'feel' as if I am starting a stone and then again religiously start taking the medication again.


I have heard that some countries prescribe potassium citrate as a preventative?


But, the reason I mention this, is because I am interested if any doctors have ever prescribed this medication for gall bladder stones? I presume, and could be wrong, that gall stones and kidney stones have some similarity - but I really don't know. Maybe, in the gall bladder, the potassium citrate could not dissolve the stones?


PS I forgot to mention that the potassium citrate is not effective against the calcium oxalate stones; only the uric acid stones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2016, 01:58 PM
 
Location: Colorado Springs
18,997 posts, read 8,914,315 times
Reputation: 18351
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I am curious; I have been taking potassium citrate for about ten years for kidney stones. I originally started off with the calcium oxalate stones and eventually ended up with uric acid stones or a combination of both. Before I started the potassium citrate I had both lithotripsy and the other operation to grab them with the wire basket (I hated that one). Originally I took four 1050 milligram tablets a day and have cut back to some days I don't take any. I have not had any major issues with stones since I started the medication - sometimes I 'feel' as if I am starting a stone and then again religiously start taking the medication again.


I have heard that some countries prescribe potassium citrate as a preventative?


But, the reason I mention this, is because I am interested if any doctors have ever prescribed this medication for gall bladder stones? I presume, and could be wrong, that gall stones and kidney stones have some similarity - but I really don't know. Maybe, in the gall bladder, the potassium citrate could not dissolve the stones?


PS I forgot to mention that the potassium citrate is not effective against the calcium oxalate stones; only the uric acid stones.
I can't answer your question, but my understanding is that most gall stones are cholesterol. In fact, I suspect my stone is a result of taking Trilipix for cholesterol, since most cholesterol reducing drugs can cause gall stones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2016, 02:47 PM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
13,212 posts, read 10,613,277 times
Reputation: 9386
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I can't answer your question, but my understanding is that most gall stones are cholesterol. In fact, I suspect my stone is a result of taking Trilipix for cholesterol, since most cholesterol reducing drugs can cause gall stones.

I don't know? I was just hoping that there could be a 'simple' solution to your problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2016, 05:09 PM
 
Location: tampa bay
6,455 posts, read 6,472,673 times
Reputation: 9487
I just had my gall bladder out after 3 months of almost daily pain...my son was getting married in mid December so I waited till after the new year...looking back I should have had it removed before the wedding...it would have saved me so much suffering...it was taken out through my belly button and I was back home in a few hours...I felt fine after a week...however before the surgery the doctor had warned me due to the fact that I had 100's of stones he might have been unable to do it laproscopically in which case I would have been in hospital for a week!!! Personally based on what I know now I would tell you to get it over and done with...Good luck whatever you decide!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2016, 08:48 PM
 
Location: Middle of the ocean
27,666 posts, read 17,711,469 times
Reputation: 40084
I had abdominal pain for a decade (starting in 9th grade) before they realized it was gallstones. At the time doc said it was the worse cases he had seen.

I'm guessing you can wait a bit. Have the doc give you some pain killers in case. When I had it out I was up and around the next day, so you can do that too.
__________________
____________________________________________
My posts as a Mod will always be in red.
Be sure to review Terms of Service: TOS
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2016, 09:00 PM
 
1,118 posts, read 1,187,353 times
Reputation: 1010
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
At age 66 I am anxious to move from the elevations of Colorado Springs, Colorado (for health and personal reasons) to the lower elevations and better weather of Phoenix.

I've suffered through several delays since last August.

Now, just as I am ready to put the house on the market, I have begun having gall bladder issues. It's just one stone (confirmed by ultrasound), but the doctor says it's almost certainly the reason I am often having quite serious bloating, even to the point that when it happens I hate to even drink water. Bad belching sometimes.

Next week I have my follow-up doctor appointment.

Here's my question for those of you who have been through the gall bladder experience:

Should I just put the house on the market, taking the gamble that I won't have a serious gall bladder attack in the roughly 2 months that a move would take; or is the risk too great that I might end up in the hospital? Or, should I put the whole move on long-term hold?

Putting the house on the market will require a 10 day trip to Arizona to find a new house, then supervising the moving, providing for the safe transit of a somewhat delicate pet. Could I end up essentially homeless if the hospitalization ended up at a terrible time during the whole scenario of moving? And by the way, I am now single, so I will be doing the move alone (except for the moving company).

So if you've been through the gall bladder routine...what's your advice? Am I just worrying too much?
Gall stone attacks don't warrant a hospital stay for most people. I had about 7 of them here at the house and suffered all night with it and went to work the next day. felt like I was dying, but didn't.

I had one too many, had my surgery okayed and confirmed, even did the scope after the ultrasound to confirm it wasn't an ulcer. Got another attack before the surgery date and begged them to do the surgery there, but they wouldn't do it, said that is too risky anymore.

So I got pain meds and potassium and they sent me home, not after 5-6 hours of the most pain in my life.

I don't know man what you ought to do, but I'd get the surgery if you get another couple of attacks. It's pretty low risk but get ready for a large bill. Mine was $4500 yearly max after insurance. Worth it though I couldn't live like that anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2016, 09:17 PM
 
Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,469 posts, read 50,738,531 times
Reputation: 28779
My wife, mother, and sister have all had their gall bladders removed. My mother was in several days, but the others had fairly small incisions and went home after 1-2 days with modern methods. As in your title, it's a gamble, but in the cases I have seen, when it gets to that point you have to get it done fairly soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2016, 10:01 PM
 
Location: Georgia, USA
21,560 posts, read 26,178,293 times
Reputation: 26612
I had a single stone also. The procedure was done laparoscopically and my recovery was swift and uncomplicated. I would say have the surgery first, then move. That way you do not risk getting sick while you are on the road or soon after you are in your new location, where you might not be able to choose your doctor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2016, 12:07 AM
 
Location: The Heart of Dixie
1,359 posts, read 964,778 times
Reputation: 3420
If they are willing to take it out, I would schedule it before you move. I had mine removed earlier this year and it was really easy. Surgery was at 7am and I was home and snoozing by 11am. I had abdominal surgery back in 2014 as well and in comparison, the gallbladder removal was a breeze. I was in some pain that first day and was sore for maybe a week, but I felt fine the day after surgery. As long as they don't have to open you up, you should recover quickly.

Honestly, if you've never had a full on gallbladder attack, consider yourself lucky. That is the most painful thing I've ever experienced in my life. I suffered through a year of them - upwards of 20 attacks. Only reason I didn't get the surgery sooner was because I didn't have insurance at the time.

Either way, best of luck to you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top