U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 09:24 PM

25,575 posts, read 23,811,177 times

Advertisements

Seems strange but several months ago I noticed that during the day, I grind my teeth. A lot. Started chewing gum a lot to hopefully put some space between my back teeth, but....is there anything I can do, outside of a dentist, to stop this annoying habit before anymore damage?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2016, 09:47 PM

17,497 posts, read 10,160,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wisconsin woman View Post
Seems strange but several months ago I noticed that during the day, I grind my teeth. A lot. Started chewing gum a lot to hopefully put some space between my back teeth, but....is there anything I can do, outside of a dentist, to stop this annoying habit before anymore damage?
There are a lot of different things you can do if you do some online research. I have a clenching issue, my dentist advised me to not chew gum. He said, "the constant impact of hitting teeth together will crack teeth." There are companies who make day time mouth guards. A little trick hold the tip of your tongue to the front of your mouth, just above the front teeth or put your tongue between your front teeth, just the tip, it relaxes the jaw muscle.

Most likely if you are daytime grinding, you are nighttime grinding also, there are mouth guards out there to help. If you go to the dentist most likely they will recommend a hard plastic mouth guard, which you might find comfortable, I didn't like it.

This one takes some getting use to, but along with a soft guard it works real well. Can be a lot of stuff in your mouth at night. https://grindreliefn.com/pointsofdifference/

Best of Luck!

Old 04-14-2016, 10:09 PM

3,836 posts, read 6,628,277 times
I could not live without my night guard. I wear it at home during the daytime if I am really stressed. Allergies also cause me to clench my teeth. Do you also grind at night? Do you have a night guard?

Old 04-15-2016, 08:02 AM

10,757 posts, read 19,147,216 times
here is the dental forum: http://www.city-data.com/forum/searc...rchid=23060825

Old 04-15-2016, 10:38 AM

17,497 posts, read 10,160,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
I could not live without my night guard. I wear it at home during the daytime if I am really stressed. Allergies also cause me to clench my teeth. Do you also grind at night? Do you have a night guard?
Interesting I hadn't attached this to it.......stress yes, allergies, I hadn't thought of this.

Old 04-15-2016, 11:04 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,076,238 times
The medical term is ....Bruxism.

link here. Bruxism (teeth grinding) - Mayo Clinic

Read and learn.

Jim b.

Old 04-15-2016, 11:17 AM

3,836 posts, read 6,628,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Interesting I hadn't attached this to it.......stress yes, allergies, I hadn't thought of this.
It starts a terrible, painful cycle. Once you start you can't stop because of the pain.

Old 04-15-2016, 11:23 AM

1,102 posts, read 730,636 times
The tongue tip trick mentioned by 3~Shepherds above really works well. It's also the cheapest and most convenient thing to do- you always have your tongue with you, wherever you go! (Although it wouldn't be a good idea to do it in a car or other certain times like when riding a bike.) it wouldn't be effective for sleeping, though, so a night guard would be good to get. You can have one made by your dentist, but that is expensive, of course. There are also ones that you can buy OTC that you soak in hot water and then mold to your teeth. I have one and it works well for me.

Old 04-15-2016, 01:56 PM

6,171 posts, read 4,982,408 times
A new dentist i went to diagnosed me with bruxism which went untreated for years leaving me with worn down teeth, many of which needed crowns. The custom night guard I use virtually eliminates the damage caused by the night time grinding. The custom guard is superior to any of the store bought ones as it's custom molded to the shape of your bite. Sure it's expensive provided you don't have dental insurance.

Old 04-15-2016, 10:30 PM

25,575 posts, read 23,811,177 times
Thanks for the input everyone, I'll look into getting one of those dental guard things. All advice is appreciated, thank you again, everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness