U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 07:58 PM

7 posts, read 4,674 times

Advertisements

Will this combination of medicine help me fall asleep tonight?
I've had the worst trouble falling asleep lately, just tossing and turning. My doctor helped me out and, while I'm not familiar with medicine, I just took "4mg Xanax", "2mg Klonopin", and "300mg Neurontin"...... Should this help me fall asleep do you think or will it not have much of an effect?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2016, 08:23 PM

5,796 posts, read 2,151,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickthemayan View Post
I've had the worst trouble falling asleep lately, just tossing and turning. My doctor helped me out and, while I'm not familiar with medicine, I just took "4mg Xanax", "2mg Klonopin", and "300mg Neurontin"...... Should this help me fall asleep do you think or will it not have much of an effect?
These are questions you SHOULD be asking a pharmacist...I've never been a fan of taking a multiple drug combinations...as often one drug could potentiate another ( enhances their affects) then of course there's the half-life issue of inability for your body to get OUT of system..thus drug gets built up. Side affects of each drug one takes could very well create an oppositional affect for what each drug is designed to treat ...

Again..I strongly suggest you get informed information from someone trained in pharmaceuticals... Next..I surely hope your Physician is the "Sole" doctor perscibing..because IF multi-DOctoring prescribes..without knowing what else you may take (including OTC~Over the Counter drugs/Herbal supplements) It could very well indeed cause issues!!

Do yu even know why, you have sleep issues?? Not knowing the Cause often leads to experimentation with Drugs/medications which could be remedied once you understand the "WHYS" !!

1. Less Coffee/Caffeine
2. Learn techniques to relax..using holistic tools

I'm just guessing..but from the list of meds~~ I have to assume you are symptomatic of Anxiety Disorder/Depression ~~

This link is actually a good read~ however..your concerns needs to be addressed by your Primary Care Physician!!

Sleep Disorders | Anxiety and Depression Association of America, ADAA
snip~~

Quote:
Reduce Anxiety, Sleep Soundly

To reduce anxiety and stress:

Meditate. Focus on your breath — breathe in and out slowly and deeply — and visualize a serene environment such as a deserted beach or grassy hill.
Exercise. Regular exercise is good for your physical and mental health. It provides an outlet for frustrations and releases mood-enhancing endorphins. Yoga can be particularly effective at reducing anxiety and stress.
Prioritize your to-do list. Spend your time and energy on the tasks that are truly important, and break up large projects into smaller, more easily managed tasks. Delegate when you can.
Play music. Soft, calming music can lower your blood pressure and relax your mind and body.
Get an adequate amount of sleep. Sleeping recharges your brain and improves your focus, concentration, and mood.
Direct stress and anxiety elsewhere. Lend a hand to a relative or neighbor, or volunteer in your community. Helping others will take your mind off of your own anxiety and fears.
Talk to someone. Let friends and family know how they can help, and consider seeing a doctor or therapist.

Old 04-15-2016, 08:41 PM

16,154 posts, read 7,089,742 times
Other ways to combat insomnia -

Increase your physical activity, so you are physically tired at the end of the day, but avoid exercising near bedtime

Don't consume any sugar within two hours before bedtime - this means not only avoiding cookies, but milk, wine and beer, all of which contain sugars

Don't watch TV or surf the internet within two hours before bedtime - there is evidence that the light from screens interferes with sleep cycles. Also, if you use a nightlight, make sure you don't have a direct view of it

Try cutting out coffee - as I grew older, I found that even a single cup in the morning kept me wakeful at night

Keep yourself on roughly the same sleep/awake schedule 7 days a week

Old 04-15-2016, 08:46 PM

2,937 posts, read 1,660,862 times
Quote:
He wrote you for both Xanax and Klonopin at the same time? Is it for anxiety or is it supposed to be a sleep aid?

Depending on your body size and tolerance that much will probably knock you near comatose shortly. Be careful.

Old 04-15-2016, 08:46 PM

21,478 posts, read 26,078,274 times
If you have doctors who are prescribing both Xanax and Klonopin for you, you need new doctors. If you are "not familiar" with the medications I wonder if they were prescribed for you at all.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/855819#vp_2

1 mg of Klonopin is eqiuvalent to 0.5 mg Xanax, so you have taken the equivalent of 5 mg Xanax. The maximum single dose should be 2 mg.

Neurontin and Xanax Drug Interactions - Drugs.com

"Using ALPRAZolam together with gabapentin may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, confusion, and difficulty concentrating."

Yes, the combination may make you sleepy, but it is not something you need to be doing every night, and please do not drink any alcoholic beverages with it.

See a doctor if you really have difficulty sleeping. If you are trying the combination to get high, don't.

Old 04-15-2016, 09:16 PM

17,975 posts, read 17,131,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
If you have doctors who are prescribing both Xanax and Klonopin for you, you need new doctors. If you are "not familiar" with the medications I wonder if they were prescribed for you at all.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/855819#vp_2

1 mg of Klonopin is eqiuvalent to 0.5 mg Xanax, so you have taken the equivalent of 5 mg Xanax. The maximum single dose should be 2 mg.

Neurontin and Xanax Drug Interactions - Drugs.com

"Using ALPRAZolam together with gabapentin may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, confusion, and difficulty concentrating."

Yes, the combination may make you sleepy, but it is not something you need to be doing every night, and please do not drink any alcoholic beverages with it.

See a doctor if you really have difficulty sleeping. If you are trying the combination to get high, don't.
She said this is what the doctor gave her for sleep. I can't believe the doctor gave you all of this at once.

I have chronic insomnia and have been on clonopin 1 mg for decades. Not that I want to but nothing else works. Lately I've been adding the supplement inositol and it helps but I still need some clonopin.

If you take that much clonopin and xanax and neurontin at once it sounds dangerous to me.

Old 04-16-2016, 06:57 AM

2,937 posts, read 1,660,862 times
It is absolutely dangerous. I'm a bit surprised the pharmacy filled all 3 of these with the instructions to take them at a high dose and all at once without raising any red flags.

Old 04-16-2016, 08:05 AM

13,563 posts, read 16,060,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
He wrote you for both Xanax and Klonopin at the same time? Is it for anxiety or is it supposed to be a sleep aid?

Depending on your body size and tolerance that much will probably knock you near comatose shortly. Be careful.
+1

With that heavy-duty drug combination, I think that the OP may have a hard time waking-up the next day.

Old 04-16-2016, 09:40 AM

10,380 posts, read 7,467,722 times
Your threads are just full of good ones, aren't they, Nick? What is it you want people to say?

Old 04-16-2016, 12:55 PM

33,029 posts, read 12,488,458 times
Quote:
Fall asleep? I should say so. You'll be lucky if you wake up.

Like others, I'm surprised your doctor prescribed this combination and stunned you found a pharmacist to fill the the scripts.

This doesn't sound right to me.

Is there something about this post I'm missing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or