U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2016, 07:17 AM

4,651 posts, read 3,019,005 times

Advertisements

Please share.

Quell Reviews - Is it a Scam or Legit?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2016, 10:38 AM

13,563 posts, read 16,066,095 times
I don't have any experience with that specific TENS device, although I have used a TENS device for a few years in order to relieve lower back pain.

Normally, the electrodes for a TENS device are places at the site of the pain. For example, I place the two electrode pads on either side of my spine, about 3 inches apart. I really can't imagine that placing the electrodes on my legs would relieve pain at the waist level or above, and for that reason I am skeptical about the claims made for the Quell unit. However, if somebody has direct positive experience with that device and its recommended placement, I am quite willing to admit that I am mistaken.

In any event, I got my TENS device via Amazon, and while I can't recall the exact price, it was definitely reasonable. You might want to go to that site and do a search for Healthmate Forever. Yes, its a weird name, but the darn thing does work, and no matter how severe my lower back pain might be, about 1 hour of "therapy" with this device leaves me pain-free.

Old 04-16-2016, 11:07 AM

27,448 posts, read 17,629,902 times
Depends on the type of pain you have.

I have a tens and good for fibro? Yes. Good for gall bladder pain? No.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 04-16-2016, 03:45 PM

4,651 posts, read 3,019,005 times
Posed the same question to the Chronic Pain forum at Daily Strength website.
________
My wife and I have been using Quells since they first started shipping months ago. My wife has CIDP (cousin to MS, Google CIDP for information), and I have chronic pain caused by back issues.

My wife has pain relief and uses her as needed. I have had questionable results, but still use it most days. Even though FDA cleared/approved (whatever the correct term is) for 24x7 use, we do not need it while in bed, therefore, our use is daytime only. BTW - - This device is the only one of its kind (except for the prescription only version) that is FDA approved for use 24x7. TENS is not.

It is not a TENS device and works very differently. It simulates certain nerves that "hit" the opiate receptors (not "those opiate receptors" LOL) in the brain to help reduce or eliminate pain. The electrode strip, which attaches to the Quell, can be applied to just three places on either leg. The location of the device has nothing to do with the location of a person's pain. The total of 6 possible locations (3 per leg times 2), is only needed to help reduce any skin issues that may come up with continual use at a single location. Neither one of us have had any such problems and I only use it at one location. Using the device has no side effects and is not additive in any way.

If you look it up on Amazon you will find a lot of reviews both good and bad. The pain reducing effects seem to vary a lot by person.

At Quell's website, in the doctor's section, there use to be, and may still be, and very good and detailed white paper that was written by the inventor who is a M.D, Ph.D. Anyone interested in this device should look this paper up, it will tell you a lot.

As of February, Quell has updated the firmware in the unit to add more features than what we currently have (and what is descibed by in the OP's link). We have ordered upgrades and should receive the upgraded units Monday or Tuesday.

I do recommend that anyone with chronic pain problems seriously consider buying a Quell System. They are expensive, but are tax deductible if your doctor writes you a prescription for the device and accessories for life (yours). (Typical wording for a CPAP machine for example.)

They do have a good return policy it seems, and even though I have not had a reason to return one, I have talked to their Customer Service people a couple times and they were very nice and helpful.

It is worth a try IMO. It may not only reduce your pain, but also reduce your need for pain medications. "

Jack "

As for the costs, the price is $249, and you do have to buy electrode strips ($89 for one month). The only other thing that needs replacing once in awhile, is the sports band that holds the Quell and electrode to your leg. It costs $25, but I am still using the one that was shipped with my unit almost a year ago. We bought the first unit during the "crowd funding" phase at a discount. After receiving the first unit for my wife, I decided to buy one for me at MSRP. These purchases were last June. Since we brought the first unit during the crowd funding phase, we got some of the first ones shipped.

At the time, I posted a link to the Quell site and recommended that everyone take a look at the product. I do not believe that we had received any at that time.

The Quell is made by the same company that has been making the prescription version of the device called "SENSUS." The Quell is electrically identical to the SENSUS, just packaged differently (the Quell looks better). Since the two devices are electrically identical, the Quell was FDA approved quickly since there is really no difference in operation or use.

I assume that the Rx version is more expensive, but your insurance may help with the costs assuming that you can find a doctor that can write the Rx.

As I said earlier, IMO if you can handle the costs, you should probably look into it.

https://www.quellrelief.com/

SENSUS Pain Management "
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or