U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 07:59 PM

32,810 posts, read 30,061,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeasonedNewbie View Post
Yes, of course.

Like I always tell my male buddies, never go into battle without a shield; you'll end up becoming another casualty if you do.

Even though I'm a woman, I carry shields (condoms) on my person just in case I "do the damn thing."
We lost a very good friend, a model, who died of aids because her BF shared a dirty needle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2016, 08:30 PM

106 posts, read 78,972 times
There are several STD's like herpes and HPV that are transmitted by skin-to-skin contact, not bodily fluids, so although condoms help, even they don't guarantee protection. Considering that 1 in 4 people has herpes, and that HPV is so prevalent that almost every single sexually active person will have become infected at some point in their life, and about 1 in 4 are currently infected now (per the CDC website), even condoms don't guarantee prevention.

Old 04-20-2016, 10:22 PM

4,812 posts, read 5,442,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afk05 View Post

There are several STD's like herpes and HPV that are transmitted by skin-to-skin contact, not bodily fluids, so although condoms help, even they don't guarantee protection. Considering that 1 in 4 people has herpes, and that HPV is so prevalent that almost every single sexually active person will have become infected at some point in their life, and about 1 in 4 are currently infected now (per the CDC website), even condoms don't guarantee prevention.
Yes, and most of the public doesn't know that if they go in for general STD testing, herpes is not tested for. That's one reason why the vast majority of people with herpes have no clue they have it.

As far as HPV, there is no test for men, and it can be anywhere in the genital area that a condom wouldn't even cover. Most people will clear an HPV infection within a couple of years and many HPV types aren't really harmful, but the harmful ones can be a death sentence if they don't clear or are not caught in time.

As for the OPs question, YES it's very easy to catch an STD just based on how many people I've known over the years who've told me they have herpes, or have had something else that was curable. Some of these people are even grandparents now.

Old 04-21-2016, 01:26 AM

918 posts, read 457,004 times
To all those who say that the risks of catching a STI/STD are relatively low... According to the American Sexual Health Association, more than half of all people will have an STD/STI at some point in their lifetime. Maybe it's just me, but that doesn't sound "low risk".

Some more interesting stats:
Statistics - American Sexual Health Association

Old 04-21-2016, 05:37 AM

6,221 posts, read 7,405,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
I agree that it's likely exaggerated, but I actually agree with all the goody two shoes on this forum on this one. My goal is to bed as many women as possible before I leave this earth, and thus far I'm achieving that, but I know the risks are high. I always make sure the girls have been tested and I use protection as often as I can.

Do they carry a doctor's note? The fact that you don't always protect yourself or your partner says a lot about your ethics.

OP, yes, I DO believe that. It's easy if you insist on multiple partners, indiscriminate coupling, and unprotected intercourse. Remember the old saying, "If you lie down with dogs, you get up with fleas." For your sake, may fleas be the only affliction you get.

Old 04-21-2016, 10:10 AM

13,042 posts, read 7,205,994 times
You might get lucky like a work friend of mine that got stuck by a needle used on a HIV / Hep C + patient and never converted. Or you may be unlucky like another friend that got stuck by a Hep C needle and contracted it.

Condoms break and nothing is 100% guaranteed unless you have a partner that you've been with for decades and neither one of you stray, have a blood transfusion, or engage in other high risk practices.

Let's say you have an electrical switch in your house that will electrocute someone in he future. You don't know when it will happen but you know it could happen to you if you're the unlucky one. Would you touch it?

Old 04-21-2016, 10:29 AM

4,812 posts, read 5,442,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post

I agree that it's likely exaggerated, but I actually agree with all the goody two shoes on this forum on this one. My goal is to bed as many women as possible before I leave this earth, and thus far I'm achieving that, but I know the risks are high.

I always make sure the girls have been tested and I use protection as often as I can.
Sure you do.

You always ask to see their tests and you carefully note each STD they were tested for and each STD they were not tested for and then you insist on getting any missing test. You ask them to get an HPV DNA test with their PAP test to see if they have any serious form of HPV virus on their cervix. And finally, you discuss whether they've been with anybody since they were last tested, and insist on them getting retested if they have been with somebody before proceeding to have sex.

Yeah, sure you do.

The phrase "make sure they've been tested" is casually thrown around like it actually means something. What it usually means is asking someone if they've been tested, not defining what testing means, and then trusting them.

BTW, you didn't say a word about YOU getting tested. You are the other half of the equation.

Old 04-21-2016, 12:40 PM

2,488 posts, read 1,729,373 times
Probably over a thousand partners and I never caught anything. You just have to be selective I guess. I know I was. Not just anybody. I've seen those films they show and, frankly, with few exceptions, they depict people I'd never bed down with.

Old 04-21-2016, 02:10 PM

72,759 posts, read 64,231,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickopsychoagain View Post
It's common knowledge that as long as the girl is on top, she can't get pregnant. It's physics... gravity. Also, stds are lies made up by the man to bring us down. Or they are real but also made up by the gov't to kill black people. Either one could be true.
You sound like you're from the Thabo Mbeki school of AIDS prevention: it's all a conspiracy theory; there's no such thing as AIDS.

Gravity, right. How do you explain that women can get pregnant without any penetration at all, Mr. Physicist? I guess if it's never happened to you, it doesn't exist.

Old 04-21-2016, 02:55 PM

3,012 posts, read 1,814,076 times
I'm thinking (hoping!) that was a sarcastic post lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or