U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2016, 09:44 AM

41 posts, read 45,566 times

Advertisements

So yesterday I went to see the Neurologist and I get into the room and this guy comes in and says he's the Neurologists assistant and starts asking me about all my issues afterwards he leaves saying he'll discuss it with the Neurologist and a few minutes later he and the Neurologist comes in and he's an Indian guy that can barely speak English and I noticed he wouldn't really talk to me, just started saying what he thinks my issue is then quickly leaves.

Seriously? I have a Neurological issue, is it wrong to expect I get to have a sit-down talk with the Neurologist himself and have one that can speak English?? If this were just going in for something minor I don't think it would bug me as much but with my Neurological issues it really bothers me. Am I wrong to be upset?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2016, 10:30 AM

18,761 posts, read 6,129,215 times
No you are not wrong, seems to be the way of conventional medicine today. What is your neuro issue. I'm on another health group and MANY deal with neuropathy issues. And they take a lot of supps for the neuro issues.

Old 04-20-2016, 10:44 AM

3,701 posts, read 3,991,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilightnight View Post
So yesterday I went to see the Neurologist and I get into the room and this guy comes in and says he's the Neurologists assistant and starts asking me about all my issues afterwards he leaves saying he'll discuss it with the Neurologist and a few minutes later he and the Neurologist comes in and he's an Indian guy that can barely speak English and I noticed he wouldn't really talk to me, just started saying what he thinks my issue is then quickly leaves.

Seriously? I have a Neurological issue, is it wrong to expect I get to have a sit-down talk with the Neurologist himself and have one that can speak English?? If this were just going in for something minor I don't think it would bug me as much but with my Neurological issues it really bothers me. Am I wrong to be upset?
Did he examine you?

Old 04-21-2016, 08:51 AM

11,394 posts, read 15,991,510 times
Unfortunately, this is the way medical practice is going in the US. Before I shifted my care to a world-renowned medical facility (which is luckily local to me and takes my insurance), I would get maybe 5 minutes with a distracted oncologist per appointment - if I saw the oncologist at all (typically saw a nurse practitioner or even just my chemo nurse). That was all through diagnosis and treatment as well! Meanwhile, the oncologist billed my insurance over $1000 for those 5 minutes, plus any blood work, testing, scans, procedures, or chemo I might need.

I will say that I notice many people mistake having an accent for "barely speaking English." Many Indians speak English as a first language, but it's not going to sound like American English. That doesn't mean they don't speak it fluently - perhaps even better than you!

Old 04-22-2016, 09:38 AM

4,649 posts, read 3,016,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilightnight View Post

If you saw a neurologist, I assume that you had a reference from your primary who is more fluent in English. If so, I would ask the primary to interpret the neurologist's report and explain it to you.

Old 04-22-2016, 12:14 PM

16,150 posts, read 7,089,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post

I will say that I notice many people mistake having an accent for "barely speaking English." Many Indians speak English as a first language, but it's not going to sound like American English. That doesn't mean they don't speak it fluently - perhaps even better than you!
And even so, a doctor could be non-fluent in English and still be a brilliant neurologist with a great track record.

OP, why were you referred to this particular neurologist? What kind of reputation does he have? Try to find out more before you give up on him.

That said, if you're not comfortable, you're not comfortable, so ask for a different referral.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or