U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 05:31 PM

4,628 posts, read 10,513,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
There are some really helpful chiropractors out there. I had a great one years ago and due to the long drive had to give him up...but he does muscle testing and goes extra miles with his patients...he found how SOY was messing up my thyroid and causing my THEN relenting fatigue. SOY a whole other story being pushed down the throats of unsuspecting population. One is very fortunate when we FIND an issue that is doing us damage.

I go for my first D.O. 90 minute session today and we shall see how this gentle work will help my advanced OA body.

I know two highly respected alternative doctors who have helped me so much, one is a D.O. (Dr. Mercola) the other a Chiropractor (Dr. David Williams) and YES, they have made a business and good livings, but they have helped so many people with their knowledge. Dr. Williams woke me up to the Vit D deficiency and the necessity for Iodine -- just 2 he's written about for years in his Alternatives Newsletter.
Marcola is far, far from "highly respected"....he's a quack and a charlatan, only his on the fringe followers "respect him"....the rest of the educated world....not so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2016, 07:34 PM

3,780 posts, read 2,402,392 times
Side note - melatonin and/or grape seed extract seem to be having a decent effect. I don't sleep better (as in, I still wake up one or two times a night) but I do wake up less tired. And no more afternoon crashes, headaches aside, so that's a plus. Of course, all this could be attributed to the fact that I started going to bed at 11 rather diligently, so I am definitely getting a bit more sleep overall, as well.

Old 05-04-2016, 08:19 AM

4,788 posts, read 4,677,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
Side note - melatonin and/or grape seed extract seem to be having a decent effect. I don't sleep better (as in, I still wake up one or two times a night) but I do wake up less tired. And no more afternoon crashes, headaches aside, so that's a plus. Of course, all this could be attributed to the fact that I started going to bed at 11 rather diligently, so I am definitely getting a bit more sleep overall, as well.
Forget about the other stuff you mentioned---sleep is so important. I have been sleeping terribly for days now (I am third shift so my body hates me) and by the time 6 AM rolled around at work, my joints were in so much pain I wanted to scream.

I am not a headache person but I feel like I do get cervicogenic headaches---the issue in my neck is aggravated by how much/how little/how awkward I sleep.

PS---I hope you are wearing your mouth guard more diligently.

Old 05-04-2016, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
Forget about the other stuff you mentioned---sleep is so important. I have been sleeping terribly for days now (I am third shift so my body hates me) and by the time 6 AM rolled around at work, my joints were in so much pain I wanted to scream.

I am not a headache person but I feel like I do get cervicogenic headaches---the issue in my neck is aggravated by how much/how little/how awkward I sleep.

PS---I hope you are wearing your mouth guard more diligently.
Yep, I've been wearing my mouth guard every night and changed my pillow to a "donut-style" orthopedic one. Will see how that works. Still looking for that better mattress. Also put in a request for a standing desk, should have that shortly.

Last edited by highlanderfil; 05-04-2016 at 09:15 AM..

Old 05-07-2016, 11:22 PM

22,745 posts, read 21,804,424 times
Melatonin helped me for a while, until it caused restless leg syndrome and I started to have vivid nightmares. I was on and off of it half a dozen times before I was sure.

Old 05-07-2016, 11:48 PM

18,913 posts, read 6,176,358 times
Quote:
I didn't start on grape seed ex until I was 57 and I know you are much younger now. My grandkids 15 and 19 both take it so they are way ahead of me that's for sure. I KNOW it's given me more energy over the last 20 yrs.

I sleep pretty good with my sleep combo which contains 1/2mg Melatonin but I wake up for the bathroom a couple times a night...I don't think this is uncommon. I drink a good bit of water all day so it has to come out..... keep improving.....

Old 05-27-2016, 07:29 AM

So a quick update. I have been headache-free for the past three days, which doesn't sound like much but feels like a giant accomplishment and I attribute it to my chiro's work. We reached somewhat of a breakthrough last time I was in his office - he pressed down on the trap area which I damaged while lifting a year ago and I swear to you, I saw into the future, that's how much it hurt - but it didn't hurt the shoulder. The pain went straight to the nose and the back of my head, but since then I've been good. So we'll continue working on it and hopefully work out both issues. This has also coincided with the weather doing a complete 180 from 55 and gloomy to 90 and sunny, so there might be something in that, as well (I seem to recall my nose and head being particularly sensitive when I was in NYC in February and it was below 0).

Also, the standing desk and melatonin have been helping me keep alert throughout the day (but I still can't stay asleep at night for longer than 4 hours).

Old 05-30-2016, 11:09 PM

4 posts, read 4,588 times
It's a longshot, but have you looked into Ehlers-Danlos syndrome (EDS)? It is a connective tissue disorder, and could explain some of the issues you have had with TMJ, shoulder, neck, etc. Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome: TMJ Treatment Center

EDS is also commonly associated with mast cell disease. Mast cell disease could explain your GERD, headaches, hypoglycemia... Although I don't know how it would all go away if you were on vacation.

Just throwing that out there. Good luck!

Old 05-31-2016, 11:10 AM

18,913 posts, read 6,176,358 times
Quote:
So a quick update. I have been headache-free for the past three days, which doesn't sound like much but feels like a giant accomplishment and I attribute it to my chiro's work. We reached somewhat of a breakthrough last time I was in his office - he pressed down on the trap area which I damaged while lifting a year ago and I swear to you, I saw into the future, that's how much it hurt - but it didn't hurt the shoulder. The pain went straight to the nose and the back of my head, but since then I've been good. So we'll continue working on it and hopefully work out both issues. This has also coincided with the weather doing a complete 180 from 55 and gloomy to 90 and sunny, so there might be something in that, as well (I seem to recall my nose and head being particularly sensitive when I was in NYC in February and it was below 0).

Also, the standing desk and melatonin have been helping me keep alert throughout the day (but I still can't stay asleep at night for longer than 4 hours).
For those wake up's in middle of night, I keep Inositol at nightstand and Calms Forte' and often need to take one after a bathroom run at 3AM or so. I have my sleep remedy listed here, maybe you saw it.

Old 06-01-2016, 08:46 AM

4,788 posts, read 4,677,334 times
Quote:

I'm not into chiros but I will say I would not be surprised if something else on your body causes the headaches like you/the chiro seem to think. I have a weird thing with my neck and when it goes out of place/if I sleep too much/sleep too little/too many pillows/WHATEVER, I can feel it's not quite right and then I will get headaches at the base of my skull. Then they will start to radiate forward.

And I am loving the better weather as well. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness