Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 10:40 AM

2,729 posts, read 2,685,307 times

Advertisements

What type of fabrics you use which gives the best coolness at the heat? Must be long sleeves. It is only may and I am dying alrady, I need tips

1 layer can still burn it so something air passing but still covering..

These dang summers becomes earlier and earlier and are more burning than last years.. New heat records every year
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2016, 10:56 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,623,921 times
There are a lot of thermal protection fabrics. One is Rash Guard. There are hats with SF 50.

Old 05-30-2016, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
There are a lot of thermal protection fabrics. One is Rash Guard. There are hats with SF 50.

That is new to me. Can you give some link which introduces the technique what makes it protective? Is it something natural or unnatural?

Old 05-30-2016, 03:32 PM

5,843 posts, read 6,122,501 times
Quote:
I just ordered 2 new swimsuits on Amazon for my blond, fair skinned 5 year old after she burned a bit this weekend in the pool despite having sunblock applied numerous times throughout the day. One was Rash Guard, the other was a similar brand. SPF 50 fabrics, I believe. 2 suits (both with full coverage shirts and board shorts). Having sleeves covering your shoulders, arms, and back makes all the difference. I usually insist on it, but Grandpa had let her into the pool with a different suit this time. They weren't cheap (almost $80) for 2 suits for a little kid, but she needs it. Her older sister does not. If you need to invest in products such as these, it's worth it, especially if you live in a hot and sunny area.

Also, Columbia makes clothing with a brand of thermal protection which they call "Omni shield", I believe. Several shirts that allow good ventilation. Hats too. We buy them at the Marine store, and they are primarily marketed for fishing use etc, but any large outdoor store that caters to hiking and outdoors will have similar products.

Old 05-30-2016, 03:51 PM

Google it. It is a protection applied to fabric, not natural. Works great! I have a shirt for swimming and a hat. I have had around 200 cancerous /precancerous spots removed. I am on my 3rd or 4th go-round of chemotherapy cream to burn out more

Old 05-30-2016, 06:51 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,939,911 times
Yes..there are sun-resistant fabrics! But, just use sunscreen! Most folks don't use NEAR enough or apply it correctly! It's a full "shot-glass" worth of sunscreen applied 30 mins. BEFORE you get into the sun! Otherwise, you can burn before the sunscreen takes effect! It takes 30 mins. for the protectiveness to happen! If you towel off, then you need to reapply. Waterproof, heatproof, sweat proof....NONE are TOWELPROOF!

Old 05-31-2016, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
Yes..there are sun-resistant fabrics! But, just use sunscreen! Most folks don't use NEAR enough or apply it correctly! It's a full "shot-glass" worth of sunscreen applied 30 mins. BEFORE you get into the sun! Otherwise, you can burn before the sunscreen takes effect! It takes 30 mins. for the protectiveness to happen! If you towel off, then you need to reapply. Waterproof, heatproof, sweat proof....NONE are TOWELPROOF!

I use sun cream but it is not enough. I increase it all the time but I havent put it long before I go out. Have to try that effect. I had long sleeve clothes for summer but heat increases and they are too warm to use now. 10 years ago I could just use long sleeves but not anymore. I used linen, that was good since now.

I have a hat, sun glasses, sun cream and everyhing but I should find thinner fabric to use to replace linen. Also it cannot be too thin because 1 layer is not enough. Or then I should use several thin layers. Throught the 1 burning is still possible.

I could not find proper site by googling which introduces technology. For some bugproof clothes they are using natural smells from certain plants so some special clothes are natural (even not necessary made of natural fibres). Instead many waterproof clothes has serious health risks as inpact for quality of sperm, cancer, etc. I guess I have to call outdoors store to a big city since we have no any and ask.

I don't go naked or even half naked but even the parts that are seeable (arms, ankles, calfs, hands, face, neck, toes) are burning right away..

I prefer natural fibres but I have so much fabric on the boxes that are thoo thick that I don't want to buy something what is not good either. Silk is not etical and it cannot be used on free time, with dogs etc.

our fabric stores are so small, I should go to shopping to a big city. I would rather just mail order but I don't know what I am looking for.

What type of bamboo fabrics there is available? Is there thin fabrics too? I have only seen bamboo terrycloth and fleece and thick fabrics. Would thin bamboo be good?

Everything comes here years after and we have to ask and special order something if we know something exist.

Bamboo experiences at heat, anyone? Could you imagine long sleeve bamboo to be good at sun? 1 layer enough?

Old 05-31-2016, 08:26 PM

Bamboo is no different than cotton or linen. You need a treated fabric. If you are opposed to wearing them, then you will probably have to stay inside.

Old 06-01-2016, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Bamboo is no different than cotton or linen. You need a treated fabric. If you are opposed to wearing them, then you will probably have to stay inside.

Cotton and linen are very different of each other.

Old 06-01-2016, 06:33 AM

4,977 posts, read 5,728,728 times
If your skin is never exposed to the sun, how do you get your vitamin D?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness