U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 11:10 PM

458 posts, read 216,286 times

Advertisements

I keep getting frequent urinary tract infections. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2016, 11:59 PM

18,799 posts, read 6,138,018 times
Hi, I sent you a private message but I'll post this product that I would buy if I needed it.

Now Foods, Cranberry, Standardized, 90 Veggie Caps - iHerb.com

Old 04-23-2016, 05:12 AM

458 posts, read 216,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Hi, I sent you a private message but I'll post this product that I would buy if I needed it.

Now Foods, Cranberry, Standardized, 90 Veggie Caps - iHerb.com
I got it it! Thanks!

Old 04-23-2016, 05:45 AM

8,317 posts, read 17,641,658 times
You need to see a dr, not pop cranberry pills. While cranberry is good for you, you need to find out WHY you keep getting so many UTIs...its not normal, so call a urologist.

Old 04-23-2016, 11:44 AM

10,860 posts, read 18,883,731 times
Cranberry pills will help as long as there's no underlying cause that needs treatment.

There can be different reasons for recurring UTI's. My mom gets them because she barely drinks any water. She drinks maybe three cups of coffee a day and that's it for liquids. She had a UTI go septic before and had lots of tests done to rule out physical abnormalities or other medical conditions that could cause it. I asked her urologist if it could just be that she needs to drink more water (not coffee) during the day and he said that would probably help her. So she went to her gynecologist and asked for an antibiotic to take after sex to prevent UTI (she doesn't have sex anymore, just wanted the antibiotic) and he prescribed one.

I had several UTIs in a row just before my diabetes diagnosis. Cranberry pills didn't help me, and neither did drinking gallons of water. Once I was diagnosed with diabetes and got it under control, I quit having UTI's.

Some advice I've heard about preventing UTIs is to make sure you're practicing good hygiene (wipe front to back), and to wash before and after sex, and also to urinate right after sex, to wash out any bacteria that may have gotten into the urethra.

Old 04-23-2016, 02:10 PM

18,799 posts, read 6,138,018 times
I never thought of this advice, but I'd sure go this route if need be. I'm never out of coconut oil.

Ditch the K-Y Jelly...use this instead. - Katie Den Ouden

I agree with Hedgehog's advice too and think probably my older friend who has constant UTI's just doesn't drink enough water. A vicious cycle for older folks, more water, more peeing. Plus she has a collapsed bladder issue and working to get that fixed..but the infections keep happening.

Old 04-23-2016, 02:47 PM

19,631 posts, read 53,481,140 times
My PCP recommended Azo, available at groceries and drug stores. They make 2 versions, one is for general urinary health and the other I forgot. I have been taking them for about 6 months and my issues have cleared up.

Old 04-23-2016, 04:06 PM

8,874 posts, read 12,917,566 times
I agree that the OP should see a urologist. They have preemptive meds now that one can take to PREVENT UTIs. It's not even a daily pill ... you take them for a couple of days once a year or something.

But cranberry juice does help. Don't take the pills, drink the juice, one small glass per day. REAL 100% cranberry juice, not some cranberry cocktail drink filled with sugar. If you can't stand the taste, mix a tablespoon or two in each glass of water you drink. Certain fruit juices can work wonders on the human body. I know a guy who had terrible problems with gout and it runs in his family. He keeps it in check drinking cherry juice. Again, 100% juice, not some flavored drink.

Old 04-23-2016, 05:28 PM
Status: "I'm late because I don't want to be here." (set 2 days ago)

988 posts, read 540,224 times
I too thought I had another UTI. Took cranberry CONCENTRATE not juice and still had symptoms so went to doc this week. A quick urine test was all that was needed to confirm it wasn.t a UTI but diabetes. High A1C managed by Metformin for the past few days. I feel like a new person!
So try the concentrate (spendy at 9.00 per small bottle) but it will be your 1st line of defense purchased at WholeFoods no Oceanspray: then go to doc to take a specimen. My spec was 100% clear and clean. I had been diagnosed 1 month ago with the high A1C so we put 2+2 together that is isn.t a UTI but 1st stage diabetes.
Also watch ur laundry detergent : switch to organic and use sparingly when washing undies. So try the cran +detergent switch then see the doc. Let go for too long you.ll be risking kidney problems.

Old 04-23-2016, 05:34 PM

9,343 posts, read 8,735,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
You need to see a dr, not pop cranberry pills. While cranberry is good for you, you need to find out WHY you keep getting so many UTIs...its not normal, so call a urologist.
Excellent advice!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or