Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2016, 12:02 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,522,736 times

Advertisements

I have been seeing smells my whole life and never really talked about it because I assumed it was normal. Recently I mentioned something and my wife thought I was losing my mind. Thus I wasn't sure if this or the psych forum is appropriate.

When I smell something I don't technically see something but I get a vision in my head of a shape or even like an abstract drawing of something. The same smells always trigger the same picture vision whatever you call it in my mind. It's very hard to explain. But I could probably attempt to draw what I'm envisioning for each smell.

This came up recently when my house got skunked and I started describing to my wife the smell but in terms of the thing I saw in my brain and not the actual smell of the skunk. I was blown away that she thought I was crazy. Maybe I am? Has anyone ever heard of something like this. I'm 37 and remember being able to do this since I was a really young child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2016, 01:27 AM

37,106 posts, read 41,233,915 times
Mr. G., you are one in a thousand; you have synesthesia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synesthesia

http://www.mnn.com/health/fitness-we...ike-to-have-it

Old 04-24-2016, 07:38 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,109,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Thank you for posting this ^^^. I have some mild forms of those (disturbed or upset by certain sounds, words/names "tasting" like something, and days of the week have colors.

Old 04-25-2016, 09:51 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,749,130 times
I know a man who sees musical notes as colors. He said before he learned how to work with the colors, he couldn't sing, (his grandpa tried to teach him but it was like he was tone deaf until the color thing clicked) but now he is a pretty darn good singer.

Old 04-25-2016, 10:35 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,659,091 times
It's interesting and I had never heard of this before.

Yet, in reading the article, it said that many people had this ability when they were children but then lost it. That reminded me--when I was a kid I saw the days of the week in color. Saturday was pink, Sunday was yellow, Monday was red, Tuesday or Wednesday were green...Thursday was brown. Weird.

Old 04-27-2016, 08:46 AM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
It's interesting and I had never heard of this before.

Yet, in reading the article, it said that many people had this ability when they were children but then lost it. That reminded me--when I was a kid I saw the days of the week in color. Saturday was pink, Sunday was yellow, Monday was red, Tuesday or Wednesday were green...Thursday was brown. Weird.
Probably because you had days-of-the-week underwear, though there were never any brown panties in that little girl pack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness