Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2016, 10:26 AM

155 posts, read 163,592 times

Advertisements

My friend who is 46 was healthy according to the reports. His cholesterol levels were normal and he went to frequent check ups. Couple of days ago he had a massive stroke and doctors found three of the heart blood vessels are 75% blocked. I am wondering what he could have done to prevent the stroke and why the cholesterol levels were normal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2016, 11:38 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,880,065 times
There are other risk factors besides cholesterol for cardiovascular disease. Some of these include hypertension, being overweight, smoking, diabetes, elevated triglycerides, a diet high in animal products, and a sedentary lifestyle.

Old 04-25-2016, 11:53 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,584,980 times
I've been reading for years that cholesterol is not the buga boo heart issue. There are books written on this "myth". My MD started checking homocysteine levels a few years ago and my levels were elevated and I've been lowering that homo issue for several years.

I started this thread a while ago.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/daily...h-journal.html

Old 04-25-2016, 12:55 PM

5,851 posts, read 11,851,631 times
This post struck a chord with me. 5 people from my circle of friends and family had heart issues this past year. Some had risk factors that Just A Guy mentions, but my BIL was not overweight, didn't smoke, ate healthy, exercised daily and had low cholesterol and yet he had a triple bypass because he had blockage in his major arteries.

I think all we can do is educate ourselves, minimize or eliminate the risk factors and hope for the best!

Some good information is in here:

What Is Atherosclerosis? - NHLBI, NIH
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness