Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 01:07 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times

Advertisements

I was just thinking that smoking issue. Europeans are heavy smokers but could be the red wines, grapes and pine bark are helping them to be saved. Fast food chains are in Europe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2016, 04:58 PM

2,218 posts, read 4,370,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
And smoke like chimneys.

My oldest daughter's theory for explaining the French paradox is that the french die from lung cancer before heart disease has a chance to kill them.

Old 04-29-2016, 05:38 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,225,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I was just thinking that smoking issue. Europeans are heavy smokers but could be the red wines, grapes and pine bark are helping them to be saved. Fast food chains are in Europe.
Or maybe the red wines, grapes and pine bark do nothing to protect from lung cancer......much more likely

Lung cancer rates in France are only a few percentage points behind the US and rank 16th in the world....rates for women have skyrocketed in tandem with increased rates of women smoking....entirely predictable

Old 04-29-2016, 05:45 PM

Some comments on smoking and OPC's.

Grape Seed Extract: 7 Reason Why I supplement

I know the French are a big wine drinking country and I have no idea on how much OPC's are consumed, even though they came from this country originally.

I'll bet there are a plenty of MD's out there who take some form of OPC....if they don't they should be to keep themselves healthy.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 04-29-2016 at 06:50 PM..

Old 05-01-2016, 10:17 PM

1,688 posts, read 4,298,815 times
OK guys...in college my professor wanted to teach us a lesson on arguments. So we went forth and one would do research on one thing for and another against. One can take their argument and prove it with juried articles, because if you look hard enough, you can find many for and against one thing or another (like supplements). I take lots of supplements and I can't possibly afford to eat what I take plus the calories.

People have to be smart about buying supplements as well. Read your labels and know which brands use inferior ingredients. For instance B-12...many of you are taking a synthetic form called cyanocobalamin. The synthetic one is missing a methyl group and takes it from your body. You should read your labels and take methylcobalamin. The reason you see the synthetic one so much is because it's way cheaper. Sorry if I misspelled the B-12s...it's been awhile. Education is key and lets all be friends.

smarino said it best...

Old 05-01-2016, 10:31 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post

My oldest daughter's theory for explaining the French paradox is that the french die from lung cancer before heart disease has a chance to kill them.
My daughter told her Parisian friend that smoking so much will kill you. He responded, "It would kill Americans, perhaps."

Old 05-03-2016, 10:32 AM

3,122 posts, read 2,066,853 times
jaminhealth, this is anecdotal evidence, so for whatever it's worth ...

It's not the wine, IMO. It's the whole lifestyle and outlook on life among traditional French. My background is French and I come from a long line of traditional French people.

They work hard but they detach and destress every day unlike Americans. Americans eat on the run; traditional French make time for leisurely meals, and not always with wine. They eat locally-raised fresh food when in season. They walk a lot.

Some French don't drink wine, and some rarely drink it, but still remain healthy on high fat diets. They have been eating the same high fat dishes for centuries and are adapted. The idea that simply adding wine to your diet will produce good results has been floated in America for about 20 years without improvement. You might get just as much benefit by adding 8 ounces of grape juice to your daily diet.

In my opinion, you can't add one single thing to your diet and expect miracles. Improvement requires whole lifestyle changes.

Old 05-03-2016, 11:35 AM

I know there is a major difference in the countries of France and the U.S. and population for starters, France 60million+, US 300million+. Just like Canada with their 30million+ vs the US.
Many in the US are stressed working 2-3 jobs to make ends meet. And it's gotten worse in the last couple decades. Stress, no doubt is a killer.

Maybe the French have simpler lives, I don't know, but know the US doesn't keep it simple.

But I still believe the grape has some bearing on it all. And for me my health is so improved since taking the OPC I talk about so much. Sadly, it didn't stop the mess of a hip replacement.

Old 05-03-2016, 01:01 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,905,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
jaminhealth, this is anecdotal evidence, so for whatever it's worth ...

It's not the wine, IMO. It's the whole lifestyle and outlook on life among traditional French. My background is French and I come from a long line of traditional French people.

They work hard but they detach and destress every day unlike Americans. Americans eat on the run; traditional French make time for leisurely meals, and not always with wine. They eat locally-raised fresh food when in season. They walk a lot.

Some French don't drink wine, and some rarely drink it, but still remain healthy on high fat diets. They have been eating the same high fat dishes for centuries and are adapted. The idea that simply adding wine to your diet will produce good results has been floated in America for about 20 years without improvement. You might get just as much benefit by adding 8 ounces of grape juice to your daily diet.

In my opinion, you can't add one single thing to your diet and expect miracles. Improvement requires whole lifestyle changes.
Let's not forget that France also has higher levels of physical activity. Physical activity is a strong predictor of risk of mortality.

Old 05-03-2016, 04:43 PM

3,122 posts, read 2,066,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
Let's not forget that France also has higher levels of physical activity. Physical activity is a strong predictor of risk of mortality.
I said they walk a lot. A lot.

Strenous physical activity is not common except maybe among laborers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness