U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 01:14 PM

18,853 posts, read 6,160,004 times

Advertisements

The French Paradox

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_paradox

Read the whole article on food eaten in high amounts by French and red wines and the grape seed, pycnogenol, resveratrol connection.

I don't drink wines anymore but taking grape seed over 2 decades.

Lot of discussion on cholesterol, heart attacks, strokes...thought I'd put this one out there.

An excellent link on this French Paradox. I'm certainly not saying start guzzling red wine, I do not .. but the grape, wine, heart health and more issues connection is here too. And I don't endorse any company, these OPCs are sold everywhere.

http://www.opc-1-2-3.com/opc-redwine-extract.html

Last edited by jaminhealth; 04-25-2016 at 01:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2016, 02:25 PM

6,805 posts, read 3,279,464 times
Much better to get you nutrients from real food than supplements. There is no evidence to show that supplements ever extend life or reduce the risk of disease over a good diet. Many times supplements have shown to increase risk of things like cancer.

Old 04-25-2016, 03:05 PM

If one can get everything from their foods, GOOD and GREAT on that one. I started with Pycnogenol back in 1995 as we were told this Maritime Pine Bark from France originally MAY prevent cancer(s). So far so good for this going on 78 yr old gal. I know too many who have suffered from cancer(s) and some are no longer around. And I'd bet anything so few know about these powerful antioxidants which are now used in cancer research labs. Of course, one could eat pounds of grapes every day. And seeds if you can find grapes with seeds.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 04-25-2016 at 03:27 PM..

Old 04-25-2016, 08:58 PM

13,752 posts, read 18,400,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
Much better to get you nutrients from real food than supplements.
Not necessarily true. There are some (like calcium, anti-oxidants) that tend to absorb slightly to moderately better when consumed through food products. Others, like creatine, vitamin D and the Omega 3s that are nearly impossible to get adequate amounts of through diet alone and thus supplementation is required.

Old 04-26-2016, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
Not necessarily true. There are some (like calcium, anti-oxidants) that tend to absorb slightly to moderately better when consumed through food products. Others, like creatine, vitamin D and the Omega 3s that are nearly impossible to get adequate amounts of through diet alone and thus supplementation is required.

Almost invariably, supplements are eventually shown to do more harm that good.

Old 04-26-2016, 10:25 AM

13,752 posts, read 18,400,837 times
Quote:
Prove it.

Old 04-26-2016, 01:23 PM

Default I'd love to see

Quote:
all that harmful info.

Old 04-26-2016, 02:00 PM

Are Dietary Supplements Dangerous? - Consumer Reports

Feature: Revealing the hidden dangers of dietary supplements | Science | AAAS

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/0...uiet-by-f-d-a/

Researchers Find Potential 'Dark Side' to Diets High in Beta-Carotene - Ohio State Research and Innovation Communications

Should Anyone Still Take Vitamin E? | Berkeley Wellness

Too much vitamin C: Is it harmful? - Mayo Clinic

Vitamin D Supplementation - Be Careful, Researchers Warn - Medical News Today

Fish oil: friend or foe? - Harvard Health Blog - Harvard Health Publications

Old 04-26-2016, 02:56 PM

I think we better balance out some facts:

Annual Causes of Death in the United States | Drug War Facts

Any reported deaths in all the above "warnings"?

Maybe someone wants to read this one.
http://www.orthomolecular.org/resour...s/v04n13.shtml

I've been taking supps for well over 25 yrs and true some do not help me, many have and do but I've NEVER had any side effects from them. But I've been in the ER from a pharma drug and an ulcer. My daughter has been on life support from drug interactions. And she is deaf from pharma drugs. So I have some history on both sides of this issue.

My daughter is at a point now that she has weaned herself off advil. She has a collapsed foot tendon has inflammation and swelling and was taking advil, but got a grip after talking to enough holistic healing people and she's gotten off them as she worries about stomach and bleeding.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 04-26-2016 at 03:43 PM..

Old 04-27-2016, 08:18 AM

22,717 posts, read 21,770,674 times
Quote:
That's a rather broad statement. I would say that some supplements, or the amount taken, can cause harm.

I found out the hard way that I shouldn't take echinacea. I have quite a reaction to it. Oh, yes, I'm allergic to many trees, grasses and flowers. Makes sense, doesn't it? Other people can take it with no ill effects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or