U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2017, 06:52 PM

27,505 posts, read 17,652,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
Blackout curtains in the bedroom and melatonin.

LOL. If that was all it took, there would be no need for Ambien.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2017, 06:53 PM

2,469 posts, read 2,726,521 times
I've had problems with sleeping for years off and on. I took ambien for about 4 years or so. I gradually weened off of it by taking smaller amounts and less often.

I had tried other prescribed sleep aids, but none really worked other than ambien. I had few side affects, but I really wanted to stop using it.

Old 10-11-2017, 07:06 PM

2,953 posts, read 1,392,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nema98 View Post
Start lowering the doses and see what happens. You need to ween yourself off of these sleeping pills. You realize you have a problem. Talk to medical professionals.
Get off of Ambien! I was on it for years and found out how many doctors DO NOT RX it - It shuts down your brain. I was cooking in the middle of the night on ambien. A neighbor would go outside and walk around under the influence.

I know a young gal who lost a large part of her short term memory cause of Ambien.

Try hypnotism, melatonin. Find out if you have restless leg syndrome, that is my problem. Dang doctor just past out Ambien like m&m's.

Old 10-11-2017, 08:39 PM

4,507 posts, read 4,366,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
LOL. If that was all it took, there would be no need for Ambien.
Some people just cut to the chase and go with a pharmaceutical, without even trying a natural or OTC. There probably isn't a need for Ambien, anyway, when other remedies are available. A good many of them have been listed here.

What works for one person may not work for another, I understand that. Blackout curtains and melatonin work for me and I posted in case they might work for someone else.

My father took Calm. It worked for him, after years of OTCs. Left him feeling logy, though.

Old 10-11-2017, 08:51 PM

18,843 posts, read 6,160,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
Some people just cut to the chase and go with a pharmaceutical, without even trying a natural or OTC. There probably isn't a need for Ambien, anyway, when other remedies are available. A good many of them have been listed here.

What works for one person may not work for another, I understand that. Blackout curtains and melatonin work for me and I posted in case they might work for someone else.

My father took Calm. It worked for him, after years of OTCs. Left him feeling logy, though.
I so agree with you, do you mean Calms Forte' for sleep, I use two every night with my combo of sleep supports which includes melatonin, Gaba, Inositol and some times Lemon Balm. One fact I've found over years of research one needs to start on their "stuff" a good hr before they want to hit the pillow.

Old 10-12-2017, 07:22 AM

4,507 posts, read 4,366,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I so agree with you, do you mean Calms Forte' for sleep, I use two every night with my combo of sleep supports which includes melatonin, Gaba, Inositol and some times Lemon Balm. One fact I've found over years of research one needs to start on their "stuff" a good hr before they want to hit the pillow.
Yes, Calms Forte is what I meant, I thought about that afterwards. And yes, I have found that it is a good idea to take melatonin or whatever about 40 minutes to an hour before sleeping, to let it work into the system.

One of the dirty little secrets of the pharma industry is that their "medications" are often taken from nature in the first place, with a molecule or two altered so that the medication can be patented. Usually is it that "alteration" that causes the side effects. Now, what I've just said may be over-simplified, but that's it in a nutshell.

Old 10-15-2017, 07:48 PM

13,504 posts, read 29,454,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I can take a Flexeril during the day, and it won't slow my roll one bit.
I can see where if you took it everyday you would become immune to the effects. I take it only two days per week and it knocks me out.

Old 10-15-2017, 08:50 PM

27,505 posts, read 17,652,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I can see where if you took it everyday you would become immune to the effects. I take it only two days per week and it knocks me out.
I take maybe one per week. Of course, vicoden and similar stuff makes my clean house. I get super energetic, as long as it suppresses the pain.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 10-15-2017, 09:07 PM

4,541 posts, read 5,832,116 times
I forgot to mention, antihistamine, like Benadryl, will help you sleep as well. I get bit up like crazy during the gardening months and take the Sams Club brand when I get bit and can't stop scratching. I noticed when I was at the store last time, a sleep aid they sell has the exact same ingredients as this antihistamine. One of the sleep aid pills has what 2 of the antihistamine pills has, and if wanted to try, it's cheaper.

Old 10-16-2017, 07:56 AM

21,417 posts, read 29,542,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
I forgot to mention, antihistamine, like Benadryl, will help you sleep as well. I get bit up like crazy during the gardening months and take the Sams Club brand when I get bit and can't stop scratching. I noticed when I was at the store last time, a sleep aid they sell has the exact same ingredients as this antihistamine. One of the sleep aid pills has what 2 of the antihistamine pills has, and if wanted to try, it's cheaper.
Benadryl keeps me awake. Any otc stuff that says may make you sleepy keeps me awake.

Last edited by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA; 10-16-2017 at 09:21 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness