Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2017, 11:40 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times

Advertisements

Diphenhydramine doesn’t do much for me anymore, the only antihistamine that makes me sleep is doxylamine which is found in some types of Unisom and NyQuil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2017, 02:56 PM

708 posts, read 1,295,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Elvis Presley died taking Sleeping pills back in 1977 ......take care like take 150 mg of Magnesium Citrate to get a good night instead
Elvis didn't die from taking only sleeping pills. He was found to have multiple drugs in his system. You make out like it was just the sleeping pills. It wasn't.

Old 10-20-2017, 10:04 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
I forgot to mention, antihistamine, like Benadryl, will help you sleep as well. I get bit up like crazy during the gardening months and take the Sams Club brand when I get bit and can't stop scratching. I noticed when I was at the store last time, a sleep aid they sell has the exact same ingredients as this antihistamine. One of the sleep aid pills has what 2 of the antihistamine pills has, and if wanted to try, it's cheaper.
I've found that benadryl is the one anth hystamine I can use without really negative results. Those stronger pills make me feel like I'm swimming in jelly, and I found the normal strength of benedryl does something close. So I got the pink sugary supup made for kids. If I'm really stuffy I'll take a couple teaspoons. I feel zoned but not completely out.

But I rarely take more than a portion of a teespoon, and it tells my brain its time to go into rest mode. I don't feel drugged but calm enough I can go to sleep. A whole pills worth of benedryl and I'm off in la la land, but can't actually sleep.

You might try the kid stuff, starting it with a lower dosage and work up to its enough to help sleep but not pass out.

Benedryl also has pain relief effects, and you can give it to not only humans safely, but your dog or cat.

One thing I do not do is use anything else when I take it but my usual suppliments.

Old 10-20-2017, 11:35 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
Be Aware:

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/...k-201501287667

Old 10-27-2017, 11:00 AM

5,015 posts, read 8,176,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Well crap, I'm in that group. Guess time will tell. Now I only take it when I am bit and scratching and driving myself crazy.

Thanks for the link...I think

Old 10-28-2017, 09:27 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
I would not recommend amitriptyline. I had bad experiences with it. I woke up in the middle of the night drenched in sweat most of the time and also clenched my jaw much more than I did when I don’t take it. I would also wake up with searing neck pain.

The only antihistamines that do anything for me are chlorpeniramine (which is still around but usually mixed with other items in tiny doses), and hydroxyzine, which is by prescription only and used for anxiety in higher doses. I tend to use hydroxyzine most of the time since the main reason I have issues falling asleep and staying asleep is because I get itchy, so that works for me.

Old 10-28-2017, 10:28 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,093,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Benadryl keeps me awake. Any otc stuff that says may make you sleepy keeps me awake.
That’s a Paradoxical Reaction, a very under-researched phenomena of Pharmacology. It’s more common in children, the elderly & those with atypical brain activity, such as TBI & Autism.

It happens more with Psychotropic meds but can happen with Antibiotics, although that appears to develop independent of the risk factors & has hereditary factors.

I wish I had a good link to provide but there really aren’t many ... I suppose in order to understand how a psychotropic works the wrong way, you’d have to firstly understand how it’s working in a right (therapeutic) way. And that’s not known, at this time, for many of them.

This abstract focuses on “drug induced behavioral inhibitions”https://link.springer.com/article/10...99809010-00005

But as most research articles will be ones from a nursing/patient care perspective or will be pre-1992, it appears to be yet another inconvenient topic. There are links available for non-peer-reviewed & published journal information on Google.

Old 10-28-2017, 11:40 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Diphenhydramine doesn’t do much for me anymore, the only antihistamine that makes me sleep is doxylamine which is found in some types of Unisom and NyQuil.
Every time I see NyQuil I think back to a friend who died in her sleep after taking it...she was on a heart med but this drug pushed her over. Lovely smart woman and gone.

Old 10-28-2017, 11:45 AM

48,515 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Every time I see NyQuil I think back to a friend who died in her sleep after taking it...she was on a heart med but this drug pushed her over. Lovely smart woman and gone.
Honestly, while I am sorry for the loss, if someone dies from taking NyQuil (in the prescribed doses), then they would have died soon from something like a sneeze.

My husband died while digging a hole, hole digging does not kill people, his bad heart did.

You would be amazed at the amount of elderly found dead from taking a poo.....
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-28-2017, 11:58 AM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times
My OTC formula for sleeping (and I've had long-term insomnia from an over-active mind with no off button):

--Melatonin an hour before bed (experiment with your dosage, I take 3 mg., other report success with less--start low and increase gradually if no effect from lower amount)

--a big cup of Sleepytime Extra tea or similar sleep-inducing tea a half-hour before bed (these are herb teas w/o caffeine). The good ingredients to look for are valerian, lemongrass, chamomille, hawthorn, hops -- all natural relaxants)

--an acetaminophen 650 mg (if my arthritis is acting up or have various aches & pains from over-doing some physical activity

--sometimes a bath with Epsom salts...(more often in the winter as it heats up my body)

This combo really helps me fall asleep and stay asleep...no wake-up grogginess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness