U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 11:59 AM

18,816 posts, read 6,149,026 times

Advertisements

I wasn't looking for sorry, I was just stating about mixing drugs. Thanks for your continued inputs.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 10-28-2017 at 12:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2017, 12:11 PM

4,507 posts, read 4,364,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Honestly, while I am sorry for the loss, if someone dies from taking NyQuil (in the prescribed doses), then they would have died soon from something like a sneeze.

My husband died while digging a hole, hole digging does not kill people, his bad heart did.

You would be amazed at the amount of elderly found dead from taking a poo.....
OK, that last sentence made me laugh, although I realize it's true and not very funny. Didn't Elvis die while he was on the can?

From what I understand, pain meds can cause some serious constipation. I don't know about sleep meds, though. Years ago my sister had an employer of whom she was very fond, she was like part of his family. He got terminal cancer and she went to visit him in the hospital and he told her he'd give anything to be able to take a decent poo again. (He used a different word, but you get the idea)

Old 10-28-2017, 12:24 PM

27,494 posts, read 17,642,239 times
Yeah, pain meds almost always cause horrible constipation. You have to be very proactive taking (Miralax, prunes, whatever) to keep things moving...
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 10-28-2017, 12:29 PM

18,816 posts, read 6,149,026 times
I had a good running supply of magnesium while in those "necessary evil rehabs" and the hard core pain meds and could be in my case the abx drugs caused constipation too...certainly not loose bowels.

Old 10-28-2017, 03:06 PM

4,507 posts, read 4,364,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I had a good running supply of magnesium while in those "necessary evil rehabs" and the hard core pain meds and could be in my case the abx drugs caused constipation too...certainly not loose bowels.
Magnesium citrate is da bomb.

Old 10-28-2017, 04:11 PM

8,539 posts, read 2,392,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCUGal View Post
I've been on Ambien for 3 years. It's now at the point I can't fall asleep without it. It's actually to the point I take MORE sleeping pills (i.e. Unisom) on top of Ambien because it's not enough to put me to sleep. Even with all of that, I still wake up in the middle of the night.

I am so extremely tired throughout the day, but I can't even fall asleep without taking the dang drug. I've expressed concern to my psych doctor about it, but she wants me to get over some major life stressors within the next month or so before switching up my meds. Um...I want it changed now.

I feel like a sleep study would be wasting my money. I had one a few years ago when fatigue was an issue, not insomnia, and nothing came back unusual. Also, I've tried Lyrica and it was like candy; it did nothing for me.

Can I get any advice?
I agree about a study. Of course, you have to develop some habits.....

Not wishing this on anyone, but if it turns out you get sick (a flu, virus) that can be a chance to slow down or totally stop on the pills. I just had a 2 week virus that was sort of a "sleeping sickness" (slept 18 hours a day) and, even tho I only fiddle with light doses of opiates or tranqs, was able to 100% wean without any ill effects at all. Didn't even notice!

You'd be amazed how much of life is placebo. So that's one angle....what I am getting at is that you might be able to get to sleep with a little melatonin, a bit of a tranq (ativan) and some benadryl once in a while.

You could probably fix the entire mess - but it would take a LOT of discipline and some time. I could tell you stories of the worst heroin addicts who got completely straight in 3 weeks.

I once did a 10 day silent meditation retreat. It threw my sleep patterns way off due to waking up at 4:15 in the morning....I don't think I slept for the first 5 days. But then that passed and I slept like a baby by the time I left.

It's just like anything else. You got YEARS of benefit. How long would you expect it to take to reverse or "pay for" that? If I eat milkshakes, burgers and fries for 3 years it's going to take at least a year for me to recover my health.

My final advice - take matters largely into your own hands. Do not rely on the Pharma/DrugPushers and other inexact sciences that have taken pills made for occasional use (read the Ambien instructions!) and made people use them year-round.

What tends to happen with these things is the opposite of what you expect. Next thing you know you are taking a drug full time and it doesn't work. Add to that the potential problems long term (cognitive decline and many other unknown factors)....and it's time to step up to the plate.

Whatever you decide it will not be easy. But the body will adjust. Even if you go 2 nights without sleeping you are likely to fall out for a long nap or sleep well the 3rd night.

Learn relaxing exercises. Take any devices or TV's out of the bedroom. Take a couple hours to wind down before going to sleep (shower, snack, read, etc.).....

Good Luck.

Old 11-03-2017, 06:55 PM

4,540 posts, read 5,829,426 times
Just an update. After the initial week of being off the Ambien, I think I've only had 2 nights I had trouble falling asleep. But, I can honestly say, I seem to be sleeping better than I have in a long time! I've been Ambien free for 6 weeks now!

Old 11-03-2017, 10:00 PM

941 posts, read 459,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post

I'm not saying replace one substance with another, but at least with marijuana ...
But...you just did...!

Old 11-06-2017, 08:10 PM

5,048 posts, read 3,331,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCUGal View Post
I've been on Ambien for 3 years. It's now at the point I can't fall asleep without it. It's actually to the point I take MORE sleeping pills (i.e. Unisom) on top of Ambien because it's not enough to put me to sleep. Even with all of that, I still wake up in the middle of the night.

I am so extremely tired throughout the day, but I can't even fall asleep without taking the dang drug. I've expressed concern to my psych doctor about it, but she wants me to get over some major life stressors within the next month or so before switching up my meds. Um...I want it changed now.

I feel like a sleep study would be wasting my money. I had one a few years ago when fatigue was an issue, not insomnia, and nothing came back unusual. Also, I've tried Lyrica and it was like candy; it did nothing for me.

Can I get any advice?
My mom had me looking for cheap ambien from Canada for her years back.

I gave her some marijuana and she uses that now instead of ambient.

I'd suggest making edibles from concentrates. Just make sure to read up on that or talk to people. For like $200 worth of concentrates you can make 120-150 edibles.

Old 11-07-2017, 03:56 PM

10,071 posts, read 9,313,800 times
I'm addicted to medication for sleep. It all started when I had to deal with the erratic sleep of my firstborn child. I used benadryl to knock me out fast because I knew I had to grab sleep when I could. Long term use of Benadryl turned into a full blown addiction so that I can't sleep without a sleep aid. OTC doesn't work. I'm currently taking basically a prescription benadryl and sooner or later my body will tolerate that and I'll need to find something else. I dread that day. Ive tried everythign to combat my insomnia to the point of desperation. I have a job that requires alertness, so I don't have time to play around with sleep experiments. i just need sleep period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness