U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2017, 08:28 PM

282 posts, read 110,385 times

Advertisements

I started taking it because I was having sleepless nights on and off for years. I was TIRED! Without it I'll still have sleepless nights. I'd rather sleep than not sleep when it's time to sleep. So I keep taking it at bedtime. Works great for me. No side effects thankfully!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2017, 03:38 AM

1,657 posts, read 632,079 times
We sleep in 2-hr cycles--we doze, gradually get into deep REM sleep. then lighten up for a few minutes (that's when we remember our dreams) then repeat the cycle. Four cycles is good and by then we start secreting ACTH and then cortisone in a big blast and we're ready to face the world.

BUT: as we age, we start to wake up between cycles. "I woke up because I had to go the bathroom." No, you woke up and before you could fall asleep again, you realized you could go. It's not like you've ever wet yourself if you didn't get up.

The problem is, as we age, we also make less melatonin, so after 4-6 hrs of sleep, it's really hard to fall back for another two. Don't fight it if you don't have obligations the next day. Get up and take a nap later to make it up.

Ambien doesn't put you sleep. It only gives you amnesia so you don't remember the restless night. This is why you hear of so many people "sleep driving."

I'm an old geezer too. For yrs I've awoken in between those two hr cycles We old guys also want to pass out at 6PM and we're ready for the next day by 4AM. I think that's due to evolution and the need to stand guard duty at the mouth of the cave in shifts according to age group....anyways... I keep my tablet computer at bedside and tune in to Old Time Radio Dumb.com - Old Time Radio Shows - Listen to Free Streaming Old Time Radio Shows I'm often back to sleep before the first commercial is done. The tablet turns itself off after 1/2 hr. If I don't fall asleep right away, at least I'm entertained by good old shows. I love Jack Benny.

Old 11-23-2017, 08:46 AM

guidoLaMoto, please cite your source to prove your statement "Ambien doesn't put you to sleep. It only gives you amnesia so you don't remember the restless night."

All the sources I've read, and my own experience prove otherwise. Before I started taking Ambien, I would have no trouble being asleep. It was falling asleep that was my problem. Once I was asleep I'd stay that way for at least 6 hours unless I had to get up early that morning. But at bedtime, it would often take me several hours to fall asleep. That sometimes meant I'd finally nod off at 2 AM, only to have to wake up at 5:30 to prepare for work.

Ambien gets me asleep within 20 minutes of laying down in bed. I wake up at least 6 hours later, fully rested and ready to start my day.

Old 11-23-2017, 09:17 AM

27,505 posts, read 17,652,800 times
I'm not going to look stuff up today, (in lieu of cooking), but if Ambien only gave you Amnesia, I wouldn't have woken up so well rested, I would have felt tired. Plus, I remembered my dreams.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 11-23-2017, 10:03 AM

18,843 posts, read 6,160,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
We sleep in 2-hr cycles--we doze, gradually get into deep REM sleep. then lighten up for a few minutes (that's when we remember our dreams) then repeat the cycle. Four cycles is good and by then we start secreting ACTH and then cortisone in a big blast and we're ready to face the world.

BUT: as we age, we start to wake up between cycles. "I woke up because I had to go the bathroom." No, you woke up and before you could fall asleep again, you realized you could go. It's not like you've ever wet yourself if you didn't get up.

The problem is, as we age, we also make less melatonin, so after 4-6 hrs of sleep, it's really hard to fall back for another two. Don't fight it if you don't have obligations the next day. Get up and take a nap later to make it up.

Ambien doesn't put you sleep. It only gives you amnesia so you don't remember the restless night. This is why you hear of so many people "sleep driving."

I'm an old geezer too. For yrs I've awoken in between those two hr cycles We old guys also want to pass out at 6PM and we're ready for the next day by 4AM. I think that's due to evolution and the need to stand guard duty at the mouth of the cave in shifts according to age group....anyways... I keep my tablet computer at bedside and tune in to Old Time Radio Dumb.com - Old Time Radio Shows - Listen to Free Streaming Old Time Radio Shows I'm often back to sleep before the first commercial is done. The tablet turns itself off after 1/2 hr. If I don't fall asleep right away, at least I'm entertained by good old shows. I love Jack Benny.
Interesting on the Melatonin, when I started taking it, it was 1/4mg, then in a couple yrs or so I went to 1/2mg and in the last year at least it's 1mg.

I'm 79 and get to sleep quickly as I start the melatonin about 8:30PM or so and put my head down about 10PM, so I'm gone...but do wake up at 1AM to 2AM and go to bathroom and take some Calms and get back to sleep. So now I'm thinking why not start with higher melatonin after all of the above info from Guido.

I wouldn't touch Ambien and did see some nasty issues from a loved one who was taking it. She's off it now for sure. Thanks Guido...I like your info on a lot of issues. jam

Old 11-23-2017, 10:58 AM

9,156 posts, read 6,339,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I'm not going to look stuff up today, (in lieu of cooking), but if Ambien only gave you Amnesia, I wouldn't have woken up so well rested, I would have felt tired. Plus, I remembered my dreams.
Well, I'm a little confused as to how amnesia could be a satisfactory substitute for real sleep. Wouldn't that make someone still sleep deprived?

That said, I'm very fortunate as I sleep like a baby without having to take anything most nights. On occasion ( maybe once a month or so), I might take a couple of Tylenol PMs to help the aches and pains of senior citizenry, and those put me out all night. I always have slept well, for the most part ( except for those occasional restless nights spent tossing and turning in angst about issues I have no control over anyway), but I do take the second half of a 50 mg metoprolol pill I have divided-take the first half in the AM, and wonder if that contributes to my being able to sleep so well. While the metprolol is not intended for sleep, I wonder if it helps.

Old 11-23-2017, 11:10 AM

27,266 posts, read 15,048,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VBeachRon View Post
When you stop it's bad for about 3 days and nights then it gets better.
I went thru it years ago it really sucks, ambien is tough to get away from
good luck !
Yes. I successfully weaned myself off of Halcion for sleep. It's a sedative/hypnotic that I took for maybe 15 years. My doctors would tell me that my body was dependent on it and it absolutely was. One Friday - there was a mixup between my PCP and pharmacy and I got tired of calling them 1000 times. I decided I would take the week-end without it and see what happened.

It was a HORRIBLE week-end of no sleep but I never took it again. Now I take 10 mg. melatonin and it does me just fine.

I still do NOT sleep on Sunday nights - ever - due to work stress. But it was the same when I took Halcion after years too.

I also get up at 5:00 am 3 days a week to workout and that helps too.

Old 11-23-2017, 10:16 PM

18,843 posts, read 6,160,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Yes. I successfully weaned myself off of Halcion for sleep. It's a sedative/hypnotic that I took for maybe 15 years. My doctors would tell me that my body was dependent on it and it absolutely was. One Friday - there was a mixup between my PCP and pharmacy and I got tired of calling them 1000 times. I decided I would take the week-end without it and see what happened.

It was a HORRIBLE week-end of no sleep but I never took it again. Now I take 10 mg. melatonin and it does me just fine.

I still do NOT sleep on Sunday nights - ever - due to work stress. But it was the same when I took Halcion after years too.

I also get up at 5:00 am 3 days a week to workout and that helps too.
I was thinking about the 10mg dose of Melatonin and that just seems really like a lot. I'm upping my dose to 1.5mg tonight and see how I sleep. I do take 2-3 other aids to give me a good night's sleep.

I found this and just wondering about Melatonin testing:

Test Your Personal Melatonin Levels At Home - SleepCheck Saliva Test

Old 11-24-2017, 04:52 AM

jaminhealth if you're "upping" your dose to 1.5, then you're taking what amounts to a child's dose in the first place. Unless you're blind, or have only occasional sporadic "trouble falling asleep" (not caused by any diagnosed illness or disorder), then less than 2mg is mostly a placebo.

10 is on the higher side of a typical dose for most adult needs but it's still within range which starts at 2mg and ends at 12mg.

In some cases (such as chemo patients) the range is 20mg-40mg.

https://www.webmd.com/vitamins-suppl...gredientid=940

Old 11-24-2017, 05:38 AM

1,657 posts, read 632,079 times
https://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1188944-overview Sleeplessness & Circadian Rhythm Disorders
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness