U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2017, 08:25 PM

6,448 posts, read 6,457,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djkingman View Post
Move to a blue state and use a strain of marijuana that has half CBD and half THC. The strain called "Critical Mass" is a good one. Edibles work too if you don't want to smoke anything. I used to take Ambien and it had more side effects than taking some marajuana at bedtime. You will not wake up high in the morning. I went from maybe 4-5 hours of light sleep on no medication to 8-9 hours of sleep at night, every night and no change to my waking cognitive abilities.
I am a hardcore insomniac...suffered till my forties...over the course of a few years through trial and error found that only Ambien CR worked for me...my last dr visit my dr said I have to start weaning off of it...I was taken aback and asked why? My dr said because it fries users brains... Next visit I will definitely mention the CBD oil (hemp) that you and others say is helpful...
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2017, 08:04 AM

185 posts, read 101,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
I am a hardcore insomniac...suffered till my forties...over the course of a few years through trial and error found that only Ambien CR worked for me...my last dr visit my dr said I have to start weaning off of it...I was taken aback and asked why? My dr said because it fries users brains... Next visit I will definitely mention the CBD oil (hemp) that you and others say is helpful...
I saw an ad for some medication, I don't recall the name, to help blind people with circadian rhythms. I thought a little smoke at bedtime would fix that. I use the vape co2 oil to cut down on carbon and other ingredients produced by burning organic matter but those are not available everywhere. The pharmaceutical industry, which a lot of physicians support, are not on board with the heath effects of marajuana. You can ask your doctor, but don't expect a totally honest or informed recommendation.

CBD is good for pain. For insomnia the CBD+indica hybrids are most effecticve for insomnia. My theory is the CBD gives an analgesic effect for any aches and pains and the indica variety, known for a body high, is what really allows deep sleep. I haven't found CBD oil alone particularly effective for insomnia.

Old 02-20-2017, 11:11 PM

1,842 posts, read 966,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCUGal View Post
I've been on Ambien for 3 years. It's now at the point I can't fall asleep without it. It's actually to the point I take MORE sleeping pills (i.e. Unisom) on top of Ambien because it's not enough to put me to sleep. Even with all of that, I still wake up in the middle of the night.

I am so extremely tired throughout the day, but I can't even fall asleep without taking the dang drug. I've expressed concern to my psych doctor about it, but she wants me to get over some major life stressors within the next month or so before switching up my meds. Um...I want it changed now.

I feel like a sleep study would be wasting my money. I had one a few years ago when fatigue was an issue, not insomnia, and nothing came back unusual. Also, I've tried Lyrica and it was like candy; it did nothing for me.

Can I get any advice?
I was like that a few years back. My doctor helped me to get off of ambien. Basically I increased melatonin while decreasing ambien. Then I began decreasing the melatonin. Talk to your doctor again.

Old 02-23-2017, 10:26 AM

2,953 posts, read 1,387,402 times
I used Ambien for 10 years and quit cold turkey. I found out it actually shuts off parts of your brain and some people have issues with memory after long use.
Scared me to death.
Many doctors won't prescribe Ambien.

Old 09-27-2017, 06:09 PM

4,535 posts, read 5,824,443 times
Was trying to find some information about getting off ambien and found this old thread.

Have been on ambien for 5 1/2 years, 10mg. I was able to cut it to 5mg for the most part, then even smaller amounts up until last week when I stopped taking it.

Sleep for the past week has been horrible, waking up numerous times, and having a hard time falling asleep as well. Taking Melatonin 10mg as well over the years. Doesn't seem to be helping.

Just curious, for those of you who have been on ambien for an extended period of time, (years) how long did it take for you to finally be able to sleep like you want to. Do you take any OTC drugs to help you sleep after taking the ambien?

I never had an issue sleeping before my ex left 5 1/2 years ago, then I couldn't sleep at all and started taking ambien. I just want to know what to expect, and if there is a light at the end of the tunnel and about how long it took those who have been through this before.

TIA!

Old 09-27-2017, 08:36 PM

4,701 posts, read 2,910,654 times
You could try Amitriptyline. It puts you to sleep, taken 1 or 2 hours before going to bed. It is prescribed for insomnia these days.

It's an old-fashioned type of anti-depressant which is no longer used for depression. Instead it is used for insomnia.

There is also Trazodone which fits the same description above. It can leave a metallic taste in the mouth though and Amitriptyline doesn't have the slight after-effect the next morning.

Amitriptyline is actually better than some of the standard insomnia drugs/sleep inducers which are more addictive and can have side effects.

Last edited by matisse12; 09-27-2017 at 08:49 PM..

Old 09-28-2017, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
You could try Amitriptyline. It puts you to sleep, taken 1 or 2 hours before going to bed. It is prescribed for insomnia these days.

It's an old-fashioned type of anti-depressant which is no longer used for depression. Instead it is used for insomnia.

There is also Trazodone which fits the same description above. It can leave a metallic taste in the mouth though and Amitriptyline doesn't have the slight after-effect the next morning.

Amitriptyline is actually better than some of the standard insomnia drugs/sleep inducers which are more addictive and can have side effects.
Thanks for the suggestions. I am trying to get off any type of prescription drugs for sleeping.
I'll continue with the melantonin and an open to other alternatives or OTC suggestions.

Mostly, trying to find out how going off this effected others, and what experiences they had.

Old 10-03-2017, 09:13 AM

421 posts, read 884,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCUGal View Post
I've been on Ambien for 3 years. It's now at the point I can't fall asleep without it. It's actually to the point I take MORE sleeping pills (i.e. Unisom) on top of Ambien because it's not enough to put me to sleep. Even with all of that, I still wake up in the middle of the night.

I am so extremely tired throughout the day, but I can't even fall asleep without taking the dang drug. I've expressed concern to my psych doctor about it, but she wants me to get over some major life stressors within the next month or so before switching up my meds. Um...I want it changed now.

I feel like a sleep study would be wasting my money. I had one a few years ago when fatigue was an issue, not insomnia, and nothing came back unusual. Also, I've tried Lyrica and it was like candy; it did nothing for me.

Can I get any advice?
I've been taking ambien for over 20 years and don't plan to stop. I also take supplements besides ambien to help me sleep. It's my decision and I'm happy with it. I don't care what anyone thinks about my choices. Recently was asked by my doctor if I planned to stop and I said no and was fine with it.

It's possible you may need a test for sleep apnea. That could be the cause for not sleeping well after taking ambien. I recently tried taking OTC CBD oil from Charlottes Web (50) mg. I does make me sleepy. In Maryland a medical mj dispensary will be opening within the next month and I already have my medical MJ card so I'll give it a try.

Old 10-03-2017, 12:48 PM

21,416 posts, read 29,529,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seethelight View Post
I've been taking ambien for over 20 years and don't plan to stop. I also take supplements besides ambien to help me sleep. It's my decision and I'm happy with it. I don't care what anyone thinks about my choices. Recently was asked by my doctor if I planned to stop and I said no and was fine with it.
I've been taking Ambien for 13 years, I don't have any side effects and don't plan to stop taking it either. I just hope I can find a doctor will keep prescribing it. I also take Valerian Root.

Old 10-09-2017, 07:40 PM

The first week or so was tough, was hard for me to go to sleep. I'm happy to say, things improved and I'm able to fall asleep and sleep through the night, unless I have to hit the urination station, but find I'm able to go back to sleep. Just continued with the melatonin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness