U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 07:36 PM

21,498 posts, read 26,102,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
OK, a terrific doc who happens to be overweight is fine -- but my doc's only solution to any health issue is a pill. That's my main gripe.

His weight is not the issue, I've come to realize but it's his method of treatment that's the sticking point for me. Cholesterol is a tad high? Here, take this pill. Zero discussion of diet -- or non-medication ways to lower.

Guess I expect too much. If he doesn't appear to practice good nutrition or portion control himself, I shouldn't expect him to offer any advice along those lines to me.

I'll follow your advice and pay out of pocket for a naturopath or nutritionist. The advice here seems to be I cannot expect--or get nutrition/life-style advice from a regular physician.

Having said that, I'll always be grateful to the doctor who sent me to the smoking cessation program. I owe her a huge debt. She left medicine after a while -- she told me she wanted to spend more time with patients but it had turned into a numbers game with the practice she was in -- and that wasn't her style of medicine. A big loss for her patients. I've never found anyone like her since.

For the poster who said they quit smoking 3 packs a day cold turkey -- that's great. You're strong. I'd tried several times by myself and failed. It took a month long program to help me quit. Guess I needed more support-- but ultimately successful for 20 years of being smoke-free.
Just ask for a referral to the nutritionist. Your insurance should pay if you have a diagnosis to justify it. Skip the naturopath, who will be happy to sell you a ton of "supplements".

What "life-style" advice are you looking for? If it is an exercise program, go to a gym and consult a trainer.

Your doctor, in today's reimbursement climate, cannot spend an hour with every patient recommending menus and telling you how to work out, especially if you are on Medicare.

By the way, communication with your doctor must flow in both directions. If you would rather change your diet and exercise to lower your cholesterol, say so. Your doc is probably tired of discussing lifestyle changes with people who would rather have a pill than lose weight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2016, 11:30 AM

1,777 posts, read 1,283,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
It would turn me off, shop around and it would be great to find integrative MD. To me a doctor should be a picture of good health. I try not be judgemental but it's hard not too. I have 3 bridge friends and like to play with them for the most part, but they are very overweight and fill up their desert plates and a couple take diabetic drugs... So many just can't/won't take control.

I don't need counseling as I have worked so long on my own health and love dr. google. I have given my integrative MD info over the years. They can't possibly know it all. But I agree the MD should have a healthy weight.

On my thyroid journey, I went to an endo and was so turned off with his huge body. This man had me drink a little glass of water and said "your thyroid is fine"....I ran out of his office.
Why should a doctor be at a 'healthy' weight? They are medical professionals, not fitness professionals or trainers. A large segment of the population is overweight, so it would reason that a fair number of doctors and other professionals would be part of that segment. As long as a doctor is competent in the medical profession and can keep you healthy or keep your health and physical well-being managed, why would it matter how he/she looks?

Old 05-08-2016, 11:33 AM

18,807 posts, read 6,149,026 times
One doesn't have to be a fitness trainer to be healthy. And yes a huge population is overweight and that's good?

Old 05-08-2016, 11:35 AM

5,627 posts, read 4,637,631 times
i wouldnt care if he was overweight, as long as he has common sense!

Old 05-08-2016, 11:36 AM

1,777 posts, read 1,283,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeytrot View Post
I know a man that is 5 feet 9 inches tall and weighs nearly 200 pounds. He has been overweight his entire life, played baseball and football in high school and baseball in college.
He runs five miles a day, six days a week and cannot get his weight down.
He has gone to several doctors to loose weight, he has been on supervised diets and weight lose programs but the most to come off is about eleven pounds.

He has been declared fit by three independent doctors.
I served with a man when I was in the Navy the same way. I don't know about this doctor but it does seem like it can.
5'9 and 200? That's not that much weight at that height. Overweight, yes, but not to the point of using it as an example of some obscene case of over fatness.

Old 05-08-2016, 11:54 AM

18,807 posts, read 6,149,026 times
Everyone's entitled to weigh what they want to weigh...think about all that extra weight on the joints...more and more replacements done and ortho visits....extra weight is a huge factor. Denial is not just a river in Eygpt. And all the many health issues one deals with and often the extra weight is the issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or