U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 08:25 PM

14,506 posts, read 23,177,711 times

Advertisements

I have read that if you are in an inc. city they still allow lead levels: what is the best water purification system everyone uses? And what health dangers are there in not using one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2008, 06:22 AM

7,139 posts, read 12,890,687 times
I use a water service. Friends who have a water system seem to have problems with it.

Old 02-16-2008, 05:53 AM

I am not sure that Brita and others are effective. Will have to do some research. I also heard we wouldn't want to know what is in our city approved water-lol.

Old 02-16-2008, 07:06 AM

5,185 posts, read 7,499,074 times
We are just starting down this road. I am doing research today actually. We moved to a new city (Greenville, SC) last October and have acne and digestive issues since we got here. I am nearing 40 and haven't had acne in a LONG time - close to 20 years. We think it is the water. We are getting a shower filter today, but are drinking bottled water until we figure out the best purification option. I'll try to post an update as we find out more.

Old 02-16-2008, 08:04 AM

746 posts, read 3,115,005 times
It is easy to get your tap water tested. That way you do not have to guess.

Old 02-16-2008, 07:36 PM

7,139 posts, read 12,890,687 times
Where does one get a filter for the shower? At a hardware store?

Old 02-17-2008, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
Where does one get a filter for the shower? At a hardware store?
Yes. Home Depot and Lowes have them. We got one yesterday and I can already tell you it has made a difference, at least with our water.

Paragon Water Systems Shower Water Filter - P2201 at The Home Depot

Chrome Shower Head Filter

Old 02-19-2008, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
We are just starting down this road. I am doing research today actually. We moved to a new city (Greenville, SC) last October and have acne and digestive issues since we got here. I am nearing 40 and haven't had acne in a LONG time - close to 20 years. We think it is the water. We are getting a shower filter today, but are drinking bottled water until we figure out the best purification option. I'll try to post an update as we find out more.

Did you hear about the E.coli in Ft Myers Fl? All bcs the city didnt do their job safeguarding the public.

Old 02-20-2008, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Did you hear about the E.coli in Ft Myers Fl? All bcs the city didnt do their job safeguarding the public.
Here in Greenville, I found out that 22% of the tap water tested FAILED to meet EPA standards for LEAD! Yikes. The EPA standard isn't all that stringent either. Because we are currently renting, I am trying to find a good quality filter system that isn't a permanent installation on our sink. I put one of those little filters on their for now, that says it takes out 99% of the lead. We have installed some pretty inexpensive filters on the showers as well - mainly to cut down the chlorine. It's tested to get rid of 75% of the chlorine. Our skin is clearing up after just a few days of use. My girlfriend is elated at this, and her hair is doing better too. I can actually see a difference in her hair-and that's saying something!

Old 02-20-2008, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
Here in Greenville, I found out that 22% of the tap water tested FAILED to meet EPA standards for LEAD! Yikes. The EPA standard isn't all that stringent either. Because we are currently renting, I am trying to find a good quality filter system that isn't a permanent installation on our sink. I put one of those little filters on their for now, that says it takes out 99% of the lead. We have installed some pretty inexpensive filters on the showers as well - mainly to cut down the chlorine. It's tested to get rid of 75% of the chlorine. Our skin is clearing up after just a few days of use. My girlfriend is elated at this, and her hair is doing better too. I can actually see a difference in her hair-and that's saying something!

In the 1980's The Holston River, dumped on with toxins from Massengilll chemical, was declared a hazard. Many people had miscarriages, there were alot of lawsuits etc. Don't go swimming in the lakes either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness