U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2016, 04:35 PM

2,753 posts, read 1,812,542 times

Advertisements

Hello. A person very close to me is considering a cochlear implant. This person was born deaf, and has a tiny bit of hearing that is helped a little with hearing aids, and the person also lip reads. The surgeon, a Dr. Andrea Vambutas of Northwell Health, formerly known as North Shore/Long Island Jewish Health System, who is also a professor and researcher, believes this person is the perfect candidate for a cochlear implant.
My question is what are the experiences with these devices? I've been told that the technology has vastly improved over the years. I've also been told that after the implant, any cure that may be discovered won't be applicable to that ear. The person considering the implant is 38 years old, is obviously quite limited in life, cannot use a telephone, and doesn't understand music. Any comments are welcome. Thank you.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2016, 04:53 PM

19,073 posts, read 6,294,123 times
If that person can do it, do it. My daughter LOST her hearing due to drug interactions in her 40's and talk about a shock, no hearing. She had the cochlear and it's saved her. She would like a newer one due to advanced technology, but insurance is fighting her.

House Clinic doctor here in LA did her implant.

Old 05-01-2016, 04:59 PM

3,836 posts, read 6,632,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
If that person can do it, do it. My daughter LOST her hearing due to drug interactions in her 40's and talk about a shock, no hearing. She had the cochlear and it's saved her. She would like a newer one due to advanced technology, but insurance is fighting her.

House Clinic doctor here in LA did her implant.
Does she hear like she did before?

Old 05-01-2016, 06:58 PM

19,073 posts, read 6,294,123 times
She hears, nothing is like before. Damn drugs. Noise around her is tough. There is a chance over her lifetime some of the hairs may grow in the other ear, she lives with that hope. She is totally deaf when she takes off the apparatus to make her hear. That young mother has been thru so much. But she can hear and talk to her children and others.

I would think there are support forums for people dealing with this implant. There seems to be one for everything.

Old 05-02-2016, 11:45 AM

2,056 posts, read 2,282,272 times
A tinnitus support group would be a good place to start. They're headquartered in Portland, but there's lots of stuff on the web, and groups in most cities as well. My tinnitus came from an incompetent doctor that over prescribed antibiotics and kept me on them way too long, even though I complained about the ear ringing, and now I have it forever. Fortunately I haven't had to go to an implant, and diet and stress control really help to manage it. Prescription drugs can damage your hearing just as much as recreational drugs, along w/ too much exposure to loud noise.

Your friend does sound like a good candidate for an implant, especially as they have some hearing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness