U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2016, 10:44 PM

36,434 posts, read 41,620,437 times

Advertisements

I almost lost my life 20 years ago and to this day have horrible repercussions from medical errors and not everyone wins a lot of money in malpractice lawsuits. My advice is to have someone you trust and who loves you in every doctor appointment and at the very least be with you while you are in the hospital.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...mepage%2Fstory
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2016, 08:33 AM

4,783 posts, read 4,665,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I almost lost my life 20 years ago and to this day have horrible repercussions from medical errors and not everyone wins a lot of money in malpractice lawsuits. My advice is to have someone you trust and who loves you in every doctor appointment and at the very least be with you while you are in the hospital.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...mepage%2Fstory

If you have someone who works in the field, especially in a hospital, make sure they stop by, because they are aware of the problems that float around.

For example, I know that mislabeled specimens are a problem. So I would always make sure that the person drawing my blood has MY patient labels on the tubes.

At my job, two nurses are supposed to sign-off on the blood bank tubes---the tubes required for anyone who may potentially be receiving a transfusion. And we still get mislabeled specimens from time-to-time. Once I typed a patient as a B POS and received a second tube not too long after---I thought, okay, this person doesn't have a history, I will use it as a confirmatory sample. The second tube was an O NEG. I had a mini-heart attack because your first assumption is that you did something wrong. I called the nurse who sent the first tube, he told me YES, 100%, he sent one tube and only one tube. I figured out the second nurse and she said, "Yeah, I drew a pink top on Mr. So & So." I said, "Mr. So & So doesn't have an order for this test..." She didn't even look at the label she slapped on the tube and subsequently signed. And neither did the second nurse.

Last week, I received a tube that had a patient label on it. I got suspicious though and peeled it back to find a second patient label---only, it was a different patient's name. I wish they would just have phlebotomists do ALL the blood draws, because they don't have issues like this since this is their main area of focus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness