U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2016, 04:39 PM

847 posts, read 3,013,758 times

Advertisements

Maybe I can weigh in here and be of some help...my mom did a ton of research when she found out she was having a boy (I'm 29 now), and felt that circumcision was like mutilation. So I never was.

I got circumcised this year because of medical reasons--sex was painful and my foreskin would not retract and actually squeezed the head. I don't regret my decision and like the way it looks now (it's now bigger because my ultra-tight foreskin compressed my penis), but if it weren't for medical reasons I would NEVER have the procedure done. For starters, for the first year (sometimes less, sometimes more) clothes that you normally would think are comfortable you can no longer wear because of the rubbing against the now exposed gland.

Usually the procedure is not a huge problem, is quick, and initial recovery takes a couple of weeks. But as I said earlier it takes some time before the head becomes used to being exposed. Unfortunately in my case, I reacted negatively to the anasthetic and had to be catheterized for a week and a half and healing took longer. I did not experience a lot of pain though. You really have to ask yourself if you want to go through that when it's not medically necessary.

My feeling is that if a girl will not be with you because of your penis, she's not a keeper anyway. Be comfortable in your own skin.

Feel free to private message me if you have more specific questions you're not comfortable asking on here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2016, 05:08 PM

6,805 posts, read 3,283,254 times
There is some evidence that circumcision has health benefits, including:

A decreased risk of urinary tract infections.
A reduced risk of some sexually transmitted diseases in men.
Protection against penile cancer and a reduced risk of cervical cancer in female sex partners.
Prevention of balanitis (inflammation of the *****) and balanoposthitis (inflammation of the ***** and foreskin).
Prevention of phimosis (the inability to retract the foreskin) and paraphimosis (the inability to return the foreskin to its original location).
Circumcision also makes it easier to keep the end of the penis clean.

Old 05-26-2016, 08:53 AM

11,832 posts, read 7,718,890 times
Funny how most people back then poke fun at uncircumsized men, today people keep defending them. There is insufficient evidence that suggest circumcision has solid health benefits.

The human body is resilient, it was designed to be self repairing and all of defenses against nature. What you eat or put into the body has bigger health implications.

Old 05-29-2016, 01:16 AM

102 posts, read 82,342 times
Default Thank you

Thanks for all the responses, I am surprised. So is it really culturally acceptable to be an uncircumcised man in the U.S? I've always felt like it wasn't.

Old 05-29-2016, 08:56 PM

4,347 posts, read 2,617,334 times
I can't speak much throughout the US, but to me, "requiring" a man to be circumcised is about as ridiculous as a woman being required to have breast implants. To say the least, it really isn't. If there's truly many women who'll freak out about an uncircumcised man, that man probably wouldn't want to be with her anyways. AFAIK, being tall is still a far better trait for a man to have.

Old 05-30-2016, 06:54 PM

5,822 posts, read 3,103,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimoso48 View Post
Thanks for all the responses, I am surprised. So is it really culturally acceptable to be an uncircumcised man in the U.S? I've always felt like it wasn't.
It was not a cultural thing in the US like it is in Islam or the Philippines. It came from the medical recommendation of the time and as the prevailing medical recommendation changed so did the percentage of American infants circumcised. And without the culture pushing for it as a first step into manhood ritual those who were not circumcised as infants never had any community pushing them to get it done or teasing for being uncircumicised as a pre teenager

Old 05-30-2016, 10:37 PM

19,643 posts, read 53,556,179 times
My husband (1933), my son (1964) and my grandson (2008) all had it done routinely. Never a question.

Old 07-17-2016, 05:00 AM

82 posts, read 247,838 times
Default Circumcision of infants

Why arent most american mothers against circumcision? Evolutionary mothers are programmed to protect their children of all harm. If a child falls and hurt his knee, a loving mother feels the pain and comfort her child. In Europe you got shamed by european mothers if you want to circumcise your son. They cant fathom how a mother is capable to do this to the own child. To not only mutilate their child but also let it go through so much pain. So why do european women have more empathy and kindness. There is something wrong with a society who things nothing is bad about it. There is something wrong if american women dont have those protecting feelings anymore.

How can you cut of 20000 nerve cells of your son. How would you feel, if you lost so many nerve cells.

A mother who regret it

How Male Circumcision Harms Women

Some scientist who did studes think it can cause brain damage because of the pain.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=W4Cjaaj1V50

Last edited by in_newengland; 07-17-2016 at 09:07 PM.. Reason: THIS THREAD WAS MERGED WITH THE PREVIOUS ONE

Old 07-17-2016, 06:06 AM

359 posts, read 210,662 times
Some reasons (by the way I am totally anti-circumcision too, except for genuine medical needs):

1. The biggest one I think is that many doctors talk parents into circumcising their sons, since they profit by doing them. Believe it or not the foreskin is often sold to other companies for their use, giving a further incentive of $'s.
2. Since the father is often circumcised himself the parents often think that circumcision must be best, and worry about "matching" or what his peers will think.

Old 07-17-2016, 11:37 AM

18,927 posts, read 6,185,164 times
We just went thru a long thread on this topic. I'm against cutting our bodies unless an emergency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness