U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2016, 08:59 AM

47 posts, read 29,079 times

Advertisements

I am 44-years-old (female) and on an antiseizure med and two antidepressants (all necessary). Lately, I have been having more episodes of acute short-term memory lapses. Example: I was in kitchen today, had finished loading the dishwasher, and told myself I had to give the dogs their vitamins. Not even 10 seconds later, I completely forgot about what I was still in the kitchen for and stood there for several minutes, trying to rack my brain...after several minutes, it came to me. Should this be cause for concern? Happens at least 5x/week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2016, 09:54 AM

10,863 posts, read 18,902,231 times
We all have those moments when we've got a lot on the mind and forget what we were planning to do right at that moment. It doesn't mean that you're headed toward dementia or anything like that. It's just a brain fart. We're so used to multitasking and thinking of a million things at once that it just happens sometimes.

The kind of memory problems that are more worrisome to me are the ones where you forget how to multiply or realize that you're having trouble finishing most of your sentences. That's why I'm not taking a statin drug for cholesterol anymore, because that would happen to me.

Old 05-05-2016, 10:03 AM

75 posts, read 64,528 times
I think it's part of being on the other side of 40, just like your eyes change and you all of the sudden can't read with your prescription glasses anymore. :-)

Old 05-05-2016, 10:09 AM

27,504 posts, read 17,652,800 times
I think it is normal and one of the side of affects of perimenopause.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 05-06-2016, 03:38 PM

18,834 posts, read 6,160,004 times
Hi, I found your post that I addressed with a DM and then a 2nd one. I just read my latest Alternatives Newsletter from Dr. David Williams and he couldn't say enough about coconut oil and seizures. There are many sites on this info too. You may know this but mentioning it anyway. Cold pressed, extra virgin unrefined is best CO to use. I use it daily for all cooking and brushing teeth and eating off spoon...I don't deal with seizures, but have read too much value on Coconut Oil for years.

In this letter today, he also answered a question from a person who asked him about brain fog. He went right to thyroid and talked about taking one's temp to find their body temp...coming in low is a good indicator of low thyroid. He recommends 1 drop of Iosol Iodine daily in water daily and a Standard Process supp to help with thyroid.

I don't know what your issue is but these are some thoughts.

I went for 10 long years with suspected thyroid issues and could NOT get help from doctors as they thought my numbers were fine... it's the symptoms folks, not numbers.

Again, my thoughts for you to consider. Another thought(s) could be the meds you are taking could be "robbing" your brain of something it needs .. so many meds come with possible side effects. I have one good friend who researches everything and she takes all supps and even one supp could be robbing us of other needed nutrients. I've been working with alternatives for over 25 yrs and it's so complex to find the "root" of what is going on.

I had 10 yrs of depression before getting my thyroid supported....so I come from a long long journey of issues I dealt with.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 05-06-2016 at 04:06 PM..

Old 05-07-2016, 02:54 PM

637 posts, read 1,011,402 times
I think you need to bring this up with the doctor(s) prescribing your medication. It could be a side effect of one or more even if you've been on them awhile. Also, I don't know much about seizures, but, is it possible you are having minor ones - that the medicine isn't working well enough?

Old 05-09-2016, 06:44 AM

566 posts, read 832,537 times
I feel your pain tarm....after 30 years of an awful marriage and a separation that had my emotional/mental abuser in the house until divorce was final, I had extreme short term memory issues. And yes, finishing sentences was difficult for I forgot the point time and time again. Id just trail off . . .Then there was all the phobias and numbing fear(ie afraid to leave new home in another state). And more.
I treated as if i had early dementia. Pure cold pressed coconut oil. Upped vit e and c and b complex. Iodine daily. Vitd3 with k2. Fish oil. Exercise.
Essential oils topical and inhaled. Still doing homeopathic remedies.
After 2-1/4 years, it is coming back. Some holes here and there...but all in all its good. Starting my own pet care business.
And still in courts with the bad ex getting him to give me my property.
Best of health

Old 05-09-2016, 11:10 AM

18,834 posts, read 6,160,004 times
Default good on you

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellothereIN View Post
I feel your pain tarm....after 30 years of an awful marriage and a separation that had my emotional/mental abuser in the house until divorce was final, I had extreme short term memory issues. And yes, finishing sentences was difficult for I forgot the point time and time again. Id just trail off . . .Then there was all the phobias and numbing fear(ie afraid to leave new home in another state). And more.
I treated as if i had early dementia. Pure cold pressed coconut oil. Upped vit e and c and b complex. Iodine daily. Vitd3 with k2. Fish oil. Exercise.
Essential oils topical and inhaled. Still doing homeopathic remedies.
After 2-1/4 years, it is coming back. Some holes here and there...but all in all its good. Starting my own pet care business.
And still in courts with the bad ex getting him to give me my property.
Best of health
Taking charge of your health, I take all the supps you mention and doing everything in my power to keep myself healthy to my end and I'm 78 soon.

My daughter was in a 17 yr marriage and it about destroyed her...she is coming back and doing all she can to reverse the damages from so many drugs during that marriage and the MD's push on the drugs...she was so trapped in her life. Thanks for your comments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or